Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
how does your garden grow?

Sally, I think you should do that teepee for the baby. I don't know when your growing season starts but start thinking about it and looking at pix & gathering info. Too pushy?

Are you going to grow cucumbers again?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I plan on doing both cucumbers and radishes again. The tomatoes are just now popping out, I have about 50 of them. Tomatoes do good here in the winter. I also have a bunch of carrots, but they're short and stubby. They still taste like carrots though, they're just not very pretty.

I do like that teepee and plan on doing it. Just like I plan on pulling out all the weeds that are starting to take over. I'll do it one of these days.
Bring some booze it gives you a reason to be on your hands and knees digging in the dirt.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

It's been so nice out that I've begun to think about what I want to do in the Spring, as far as planting goes anyway. I don't do a vegetable garden and I haven't in a long time, I fought the good fight with all the wildlife I have and it was no longer even worth an attempt, I do container gardening with flowers only now. Have any of you ever ordered seeds or plants online?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I get Heirloom seeds on line this place has a bunch of distributers that sell them.

seeds
Just harvested our mammoth dill this weekend. Not sure what to plant in it's place? Tomatoes, squash, strawbwerries, pak choy cabbage, celery and bib lettuce are doing nicely. I have some volunteers that came up out of the compost pile, not sure if they're sugar pumpkins, yellow squash or cucumbers but I should find out soon because they bloomed over the weekend.
This spring has been fucked. No digging, no garden, goddamn snow squalls today. And the current GF is spiralling into crazytown as we speak. I swear to god I'm going celibate after this one. Sigh. I really suck at this.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Got home yesterday to find 7 okra had sprouted. I LOVE me some pickled okra.
I sense a pattern, a spiraling counter clockwise pattern that only the cosmic pinball machine can decipher. But only when the snow stops.
(04-18-2018, 10:37 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Got home yesterday to find 7 okra had sprouted. I LOVE me some pickled okra.

I still have 5 jars of pickles and 3 jars of grape jelly from last year, that never usually happens.
(04-18-2018, 10:43 AM)Maggot Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 10:37 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Got home yesterday to find 7 okra had sprouted. I LOVE me some pickled okra.

I still have 5 jars of pickles and 3 jars of grape jelly from last year, that never usually happens.
I'm a pickle fiend. There's a bottle of pickled peppers in the back of my fridge right now because the lil woman threatened to break my fingers if I touched it. hah I dusted the other two jars she made in a day.
(04-18-2018, 11:01 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 10:43 AM)Maggot Wrote:

I'm a pickle fiend. There's a bottle of pickled peppers in the back of my fridge right now because the lil woman threatened to break my fingers if I touched it. hah I dusted the other two jars she made in a day.

I'm a pickle fiend too. I was at a flea market last weekend and saw a jar of pickles with a sticker that said $1.00. My first thought was "A dollar for a whole jar of pickles! SOLD!" Turns out it was a food vendor selling the pickles for a dollar each.
There's a guy at the flea market here that makes his own pickles in big barrels, he has about thirty different kinds. My favorites are the ghost pepper and the ranchero. That's the only reason I ever go to the flea market.

He has olives and pickled peppers too. Next time I'm there I'm going to mention to him that he should do pickled okra.
I've never eaten a pickled pepper but if I ever did I would ask if Peter Piper picked & pickled them.
I love pickles and most any pickled vegetables -- especially carrots, cucumbers and peppers.

Still haven't tried pickled pigs feet though and not sure I ever will.

I like pork and I've eaten plenty of foods that are weird to a lot of people. But, pickled pigs feet just make me thing of a drunken pig dancing around on its tip-toes; not a treat I'd like to eat.
[Image: CkwXQXCW0AAKWg9.jpg]
(04-18-2018, 06:05 PM)sally Wrote: There's a guy at the flea market here that makes his own pickles in big barrels, he has about thirty different kinds. My favorites are the ghost pepper and the ranchero. That's the only reason I ever go to the flea market.

He has olives and pickled peppers too. Next time I'm there I'm going to mention to him that he should do pickled okra.
Easily one of my favorites. Especially if they're good and hot and about the size of your pinky finger. When I buy pickled cucumbers, I buy them by the gallon and dump a few tablespoons of red pepper, about 3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped) and a fresh jalapeno (cut in half) into the brine and let them sit for at least a week in the fridge. I got some yesterday and also added a few sprigs of fresh dill since we have about 3 lbs of it. It won't do much for the flavor but it's kinda pretty to look at.
(04-19-2018, 01:29 AM)BigMark Wrote: [Image: CkwXQXCW0AAKWg9.jpg]
Yes please? I usually put a few beet slices in my pickled eggs. It lets you know how deep the brine got absorbed and also... kinda pretty to look at.
(04-19-2018, 12:59 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I love pickles and most any pickled vegetables -- especially carrots, cucumbers and peppers.

Still haven't tried pickled pigs feet though and not sure I ever will.

I like pork and I've eaten plenty of foods that are weird to a lot of people. But, pickled pigs feet just make me thing of a drunken pig dancing around on its tip-toes; not a treat I'd like to eat.

I'll eat anything that's pickled. Even pigs feet. Haven't tried them yet but their on my food bucket list.

The only time I ever see pickled pigs feet is in the jars at convenience stores. I've never thought to myself "damn that looks good, I'm going to get one and gnaw on it in the car while driving down the highway". They just don't seem that appetizing to me.