Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pooping, Security Breach?

Get this, guess who pooped while flying in our Southwest plane!

Not me.
We were sitting 3 rows back from the cockpit, and mid flight, two flight attendants came to the cockpit door, the door opened and the "Pilot" came out and went into the fwd restroom, while one of the flight attendants went into the cockpit and the second flight attendant stood guard.

Apparently there was no "co-Pilot" in the cockpit, and our plane was flying on autopilot for the 10 minutes the Pilot was indisposed. The Pilot came out, the flight attendant opened the cockpit door the the Pilot went back in.

Two things came to mind:

1. For "safety" reasons, should a "co-Pilot" be required on all commercial flights? I think so. (In case Pilot gets sick, or even dies)

2. Was it a "security breach" when the "fortified cockpit door"was intentionally "opened" during flight? I think so. What say you?
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

It always leads back to poop. Always.

Uh, Cars, haven't you seen Southwest on the news lately?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(05-21-2018, 04:23 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Why yes, disturbing mishaps.

However, poop aside, IMO a security breach was committed when the "fortified cockpit door" (door was fortified to prevent terrorists access to cockpit) was opened during mid flight, thus allowing an unplanned seize the moment access to the cockpit by a deranged person, and or terrorist!
Luckily that did not happen this time, but if that practice is allowed to continue frequently, a seize the moment event can likely happen!

(05-21-2018, 10:48 PM)Carsman Wrote:

However, poop aside, IMO a security breach was committed when the "fortified cockpit door" (door was fortified to prevent terrorists access to cockpit) was opened during mid flight, thus allowing an unplanned seize the moment access to the cockpit by a deranged person, and or terrorist!
Luckily that did not happen this time, but if that practice is allowed to continue frequently, a seize the moment event can likely happen!
I've seen this many times, especially on long flights. It's not a security breach to open the cockpit door. If one FA went into the cockpit while the other stood guard at the door they were following their protocol. They also open the cockpit door to deliver coffee/tea etc... upon the pilots request.
They normally block the way with the food cart.
Blocking the way with a toilet would have conveniently served two purposes

I'm already a very VERY poor flier, I won't fly anymore but, if I did and saw the pilot leave the cockpit, that might be too much to handle.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
She said cockpit.
(05-22-2018, 09:35 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

I've seen this many times, especially on long flights. It's not a security breach to open the cockpit door. If one FA went into the cockpit while the other stood guard at the door they were following their protocol. They also open the cockpit door to deliver coffee/tea etc... upon the pilots request.

With the deplorable 911 event that occurred when the Pilot was forced to open the cockpit door, and terrorists took over flying the plane, caused the doors to be fortified to counteract forced entry to the cockpit.

Seems rather "futile" fortifying the cockpit door, if the cockpit door is in fact voluntarily opened by the pilot during the flight. (sometimes several times)
As for Coffee/Tea, it could/should be delivered through a lockable slide panel built in the door.

(05-22-2018, 05:05 PM)Carsman Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 09:35 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

With the deplorable 911 event that occurred when the Pilot was forced to open the cockpit door, and terrorists took over flying the plane, caused the doors to be fortified to counteract forced entry to the cockpit.

Seems rather "futile" fortifying the cockpit door, if the cockpit door is in fact voluntarily opened by the pilot during the flight. (sometimes several times)
As for Coffee/Tea, it could/should be delivered through a lockable slide panel built in the door.
I'm not aware of anyone forcing their way into a cockpit to hijack a plane since 911, so I think whatever they're doing is working. I also believe there is a US Marshall on every flight unless they've discontinued that practice and gone back to random flights. I've seen more than a few in my travels. As far as the lockable slide panel, that has it's risks as well (a hand grenade, gun barrel or smoke bomb). They are pretty strict about their protocol and as I pointed out it's working to date.