Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
(cracks wise)
(06-04-2018, 05:17 AM)Duchess Wrote: Why would a United States senator be barred from checking on the welfare of the children who have been separated from their parents? When he insisted on seeing them, the cops were called.

Federal officials said Senator Merkley hadn't given enough notice, that the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement prohibits any facility from allowing visits that have not been approved by them, even if it is a U.S. Senator.

He's not giving up though. And, Trump's new policy to prosecute all the parents and separate them from their children also isn't looking to be the deterrent Trump and company sought. Border crossings are way up.

(continued)
Days after he was denied access to a federal shelter for child migrants, Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Oregon, is demanding 19 questions to be answered by the Office of Refugee Resettlement about the roughly 11,000 children under the care of the federal agency.

"Under U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions' 'zero tolerance' policy on immigration prosecutions, children must be forcibly separated from their families, falsely labeled 'unaccompanied alien children,' and transferred to your agency's custody," Merkley said in his letter to Office of Refugee Resettlement Director Scott Lloyd.

"According to press reports, more than 600 children have already been separated from their families since the implementation of this policy at the beginning of May, bringing the total under your care to a staggering 11,200."

In a statement to CBS News Wednesday, before Merkley's letter was sent, Southwest Key Programs, the non-profit contracted to manage the Brownsville facility, described in broad terms the services it provides to children housed there.

"We provide round-the-clock services including: food, shelter, medical and mental health care, clothing, educational support, supervision, and reunification support," the organization said.

Story and list of the 19 questions: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senator-dem...rant-kids/

I think it's morally bankrupt to separate families who come here seeking asylum. I hate it. I hate it mostly for the children, I know they're terrified, I know they want their parents. Their fear bothers me so much. Their parents are going through their own hell wondering about their kids.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(06-07-2018, 04:54 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I think it's morally bankrupt to separate families who come here seeking asylum. I hate it. I hate it mostly for the children, I know they're terrified, I know they want their parents. Their fear bothers me so much. Their parents are going through their own hell wondering about their kids.

Yes it's a terrible thing when families come here and then are separated!

The "key words" are who come here, mainly "how" they came here is in question in the administration's mind. Likely the thought process is to make examples of those who seek asylum here illegally, so as to show the terrible fate of those that do it and what awaits them. Sad situation for all those involved.

If there is (was) a better (fairer) way, the administration would surely adopt it. As its currently stands, it seems there is no easy solution to a unpopular (sad) problem.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(06-06-2018, 02:41 PM)Donovan Wrote: That's a sanitized version 100% truth but it doesn't matter. Bottom line is there is no loyalty among mobsters
Just varying degrees of continued usefulness. Weighed against liability. And the minute liability tips the scales, you find yourself fitted for a tan suit made of desert sand.

And here's a news flash. Nobody retires from the mob, not really. People get old and stop actively earning and turn over their rackets to the next gen, but payments continue and when somebody leaves town he becomes "our guy in fill-in-the-town" to be utilized should the need arise. Anybody who tells different is lying.
Yeah, well Joe died at the ripe old age of 97 from congestive heart failure. Not sure what color the suit was that he was buried in, but I doubt it was tan. Everything Joe had here was completely legit. Trust me, it was thoroughly investigated back in the 80's when the bomb didn't take him out. Shortly after his death Michael and Salvatore sold their businesses due to the constant barrage of investigations by the government, LEO, and journalists.
(06-07-2018, 05:57 PM)Carsman Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 04:54 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Yes it's a terrible thing when families come here and then are separated!

The "key words" are who come here, mainly "how" they came here is in question in the administration's mind. Likely the thought process is to make examples of those who seek asylum here illegally, so as to show the terrible fate of those that do it and what awaits them. Sad situation for all those involved.

If there is (was) a better (fairer) way, the administration would surely adopt it. As its currently stands, it seems there is no easy solution to a unpopular (sad) problem.

There is a fairer way, which is the way it was done before. The whole family either got deported together immediately, or they all got granted a hearing in immigration court together.

Removing babies and children from their parents and sending the parents directly to jail is a new Trump/Sessions policy. Chief of Staff Kelly said it was meant to deter border crossings. So far, it doesn’t appear to be working. And even if it were working, it’s inhumane in the eyes of many.

It wouldn’t surprise me if somewhere around half of Americans don’t know our immigration laws and policies (which desperately need smart reform). It’s probably too presumptuous to expect migrants who often aren’t highly fluent in English to understand that the old American philosophy, ‘give us your hungry, tired, and poor — land of opprtunity’, is just a fantasy at this point.
There is a big crime mobster trial going on in Boston now, probably the last of the old gangster trials.

He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'm not sure this deserves to be in the immigration thread so I might toss it into a mobster thread or something. What say yea?
(06-07-2018, 09:16 PM)Maggot Wrote: I'm not sure this deserves to be in the immigration thread so I might toss it into a mobster thread or something. What say yea?

Either way is cool by me Mags.

A lot of the old Italian mob guys sneaked into the country illegally, or they had temporary authorization, sponsored by a U.S.-based relative, which expired and they became undocumented/illegal.

Some of them, like Papa Joe, went back to Italy for a spell after they'd made money off of crimes in the U.S. (bootlegging, gangs, prostitution, extortion, racketeering...) and then re-entered the U.S. legally so they could later apply for citizenship.

So, there is a tie-in to this thread if you want to keep the discussion going here.

HotD, I am interested in reading your opinion about what's going on with the children being removed from the parents. There has been some very disturbing things being reported recently.

As an aside, there are "dear leader" trump murals in at least one of the kid's detention camp. That's so fucking bizarre. I've only seen one detention camp so far so that's the only one I can comment on.
"detention camps" in America are probably better than the ghoulish situations they were in previously but worse than an average American household.

I'm horrified by the children being taken from their parents. It makes me cry. There are so many stories being reported on. A mother breastfeeding has her baby taken, other mothers are told their children are taken to be bathed only to realize hours later they aren't coming back. Authorities who question why parents are fighting back is probably the most ridiculous one. If someone tried to forcibly take my horses or other animals I would fight back, I can't imagine what it wold be like to have a child forcibly taken.
I wonder how often that happens, is it 10 every 100 or something?
(06-14-2018, 12:28 PM)Duchess Wrote:

HotD, I am interested in reading your opinion about what's going on with the children being removed from the parents. There has been some very disturbing things being reported recently.

As an aside, there are "dear leader" trump murals in at least one of the kid's detention camp. That's so fucking bizarre. I've only seen one detention camp so far so that's the only one I can comment on.

I don't think it's right nor necessary.

The previous process of either deporting families together or granting them an immigration hearing together was a better and more humane process, in my opinion.

I did see an expose on the largest detention center where 1,500 10 to 17 year old boys are being detained in an old Walmart building. The children who crossed the border with a parent are now being detained with children/teens who crossed the border alone.

I was at least glad to see that there was recreation, a cafeteria, and it was staffed with teachers and counselors; 1 such adult per 8 children.

But, the boys only get 2 hours of sunlight per day, according to the report. And, I don't know what's happening with girls separated from their parents, nor with the younger children, nor with kids at other detention centers across the country. Seems like that's what some reporters and congresspersons are trying to uncover.

Anyway, the purpose of the new Trump/Sessions policy of separating children from parents is reportedly to deter migrants from coming to the U.S. to seek asylum or for other reasons. Considering the very large recent spike in border crossings, it's not working.

As for the very large Trump mural, it sounds very authoritarian-like and not surprising to me.
Is there a picture of the mural?
(06-14-2018, 01:25 PM)Maggot Wrote: Is there a picture of the mural?

I’d love to see it.

Hope it’s done in good taste.
(06-14-2018, 01:38 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 01:25 PM)Maggot Wrote: Is there a picture of the mural?

I’d love to see it.

Hope it’s done in good taste.

This is what greets those who enter the Casa Padre detention center in Brownsville, Texas.
[Image: mural-trump-child-immigration-detention-...find_0.jpg]

There are reportedly other presidential murals with more motivational quotes as well.

http://www.newsweek.com/child-immigratio...ail-977179
Whats wrong with that? I'm sure you will tell me how racist and ugly and inappropriate it is. maybe it should have a picture of Castro or maybe a picture of the homeless in America. C'mon Taco give it to me> Starwars
You're sure I'll do that even though I rarely, if ever, take the "racist!" or "ugly!" route? That makes no sense Maggot -- it's defensive and a losing bet.

Anyway, to answer your question, I personally find having a large mural (along with a quote referring to battles and war) — a mural of the person responsible for removing some of the children from their parents and putting them in detention — at the forefront of the children's detention center to be authoritarian-like.

That's my opinion and it doesn't offend or surprise me that you see it differently, Nacho. Smiley_emoticons_wink