Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Missing Jessica Heeringa, Norton Shores, Mich
It still confused me how one can be charged with murfer when there isn't a body in some cases
(09-21-2016, 05:30 PM)an0n Wrote: It still confused me how one can be charged with murfer when there isn't a body in some cases

It usually happens when the victim hasn't been heard from or seen since the time she/he went missing and there's overwhelming circumstantial or physical evidence against the suspect (despite no body/remains being discovered).

I've seen LE charge people with murder in such cases when they find victim DNA and belongings on the suspect or at the suspect's residence, and/or police obtain video or witness statements that put the victim last within reach of the suspect, and/or the suspect makes self-incriminating statements; usually a combination of those type pieces of evidence which make a compelling case that the victim is dead and the suspect is responsible.

I've also seen several cases where LE/prosecutors took the death penalty off the table, lowered the charges, or something of that nature in order to get a valid confession and remains location out of the suspect. It sucks when that happens, but it's better than risking an acquittal and the victims' families usually agree to the concessions to ensure some of form of justice for their loved one and closure for themselves.
(05-22-2016, 01:01 PM)Duchess Wrote: Freak. I'm glad he's off the streets.

He'll be off the streets for life, fortunately. It took a Michigan jury less than two hours of deliberation to find Jeffrey Willis guilty of murdering 36-year-old mother Rebekah Bletsch (pictured below) while she was jogging in 2014.

[Image: rebekah-bletsch-facebook-file.jpg?w=650]

Willis started sobbing when the verdict was read. Crying-into-tissue

His trial for the 2013 kidnapping and murder of Jessica Heeringa is pending. I hope the conviction in the Bletsch case motivates him to instead plead guilty and lead LE to Jessica's remains.

Story: http://people.com/crime/michigan-man-sob...d-in-2014/
Wood chipper feet first.