Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Aaron Hernandez of NE Patriots - Charged with Murder
TRIAL BEGINS THURSDAY, 29 JAN. 2015

The trial of former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez on charges that he murdered Odin Lloyd in 2013 will begin on Thursday.

A jury of 18 people — 13 women and five men — was selected on Monday in Fall River, Massachusetts, but the Hartford Courant reports that Judge E. Susan Garsh pushed back the intended Tuesday start date because the predicted snowfall is expected to leave the area digging out for the next couple of days.

Hernandez and two other men are accused of picking up Lloyd in a car early in the morning of June 17, 2013 and murdering him a short time later. The other men, Carlos Ortiz and Ernest Wallace, will be tried separately.

Prosecutors recently submitted a petition for immunity for Shayanna Jenkins, Hernandez’s fiancee, in what’s believed to be a bid to get her to testify against Hernandez at the trial. Jenkins faces a charge of perjury related to the case, but thus far no immunity has apparently been granted by Monday’s jury selection.

==================================
This should be a very interesting trial. I'll post links for live trial coverage later in the week as they get pinned down.

As posted upthread, several potential witnesses associated with Hernandez have either died, been arrested for obstruction for refusing to answer questions, or been charged with perjury. And, prosecutors don't have the murder weapon.

I don't think this will be a slam dunk case for the state, based on what we know now, but I think there's enough circumstantial evidence for a conviction -- hope so, anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aaron Hernandez of NE Patriots - Charged with Murder - by HairOfTheDog - 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM