Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
APRIL MILLSAP, 14 -- MURDERED, MICHIGAN
(10-09-2014, 06:57 AM)Duchess Wrote: I don't understand the charge - assault with intent to commit sexual penetration. How could they possibly know that?

Police reportedly have electronic and eyewitness evidence.

They may know about something the suspect said or did before or after April's murder that leads them to believe he intended to have sex with her.
Or, maybe her underwear were removed or pulled down even though there's no sign that penetration occurred.
(10-09-2014, 06:57 AM)Duchess Wrote: I don't understand the charge - assault with intent to commit sexual penetration. How could they possibly know that?

Some important new information about evidence in the case was released today. It answers a lot of our questions.

Shortly before her July 24 murder, the 14-year-old texted, "I almost got kidnapped OMFG." It's believed that April thought she had brushed off the suspect and he'd finally left the area. Unfortunately, he was more persistent than that.

The night the teen was murdered, Millsap's classmate saw her talking with a man on a blue and white motorcycle, Armada Police Chief Howard Smith said in court. Another witness reportedly identified the man as VanCallis.

Smith said Millsap rebuffed VanCallis, who then pursued her and ambushed her from behind. VanCallis allegedly took her into the woods and continued to beat her and stomp on her until she was dead, Smith said. Effin' animal.

Smith said VanCallis was seen on video with April's cell phone and wearing shoes with a tread pattern that matched marks on the teen's body.

Another witness saw the man in the woods near where Millsap's body was found, Smith said. That witness provided a description to the sketch artist. I think the witness did a very good job. VanCallis' new facial hair and hair cut doesn't hide the resemblance, IMO.
[Image: sketch.jpg][Image: James-Donald-Vancallis_mugshot.400x800.jpg]

Story: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/mi.../16966015/

----------------------------------------------

I wish all investigations were handled as well as April's.

Sounds like investigators had good evidence pointing to VanCallis very shortly after April's body was found. Still, they followed up on every tip, did a "stop and question" of all vehicles in the area, kept key evidence outta the media, and busted VanCallis on unrelated drug charges so they could hold him until they had all of their ducks in a row to charge him with murder.

As a result, it's gonna be very hard for a defense attorney to claim that police didn't pursue other leads or potential suspects (common defense tactic, "police had it out for my client and never investigated thoroughly!").

Sad for April and her family, but really happy this one appears to have been solved so quickly and VanCallis (if found guilty, and sure seems likely) won't be able to prey on other innocent victims.
Murder Trial Underway

[Image: 306EBD7D00000578-0-image-a-24_1453394107726.jpg]

I wish that LE had been able to find fingerprints, DNA, hair, semen or some physical evidence to present to the jury connecting James VanCallis Jr. to April's slaying. But, many times, nothing of the sort is found at the crime scene.

Fortunately, there are witnesses who saw April talking to VanCallis briefly during her walk with her dog and described his distinctive blue and white dirt bike. Police can also put VanCallis in the area at the time. The case is mostly one of circumstantial evidence.

Today in court, police said James VanCallis Jr. attacked 14-year-old April Millsap with his motorcycle helmet, then dragged the teen into the woods where he stomped and beat her to death. They said he then fled on his motorcycle, leaving the dead teen's body in the woods.

VanCallis is charged with first-degree premeditated murder, felony murder, kidnapping and assault with intent to commit sexual penetration in April's death. He has pleaded not guilty.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/mi.../79133012/
James VanCallis - GUILTY

Yesterday, after six hours of deliberations, a Michigan jury found 34-year-old James VanCallis guilty of the 2014 murder, kidnapping and attempted sexual assault of 14-year-old April Millsap.

VanCallis will likely be punished to spend the rest of his life behind bars when he is sentenced on March 30, according to court officials.

April's body was found along a hiking trail in Armada, Michigan, on July 24, 2014, and medical examiners were able to determine she died from blunt force trauma and neck compression. Police claim April's bra had been ripped off and that she was found in a wooded area with her pants and underwear around her ankles.

Authorities claim VanCallis killed April by stomping and beating her to death with his motorcycle helmet and law enforcement officials believe the killer took several precautions to evade capture.

Prosecutors allege that VanCallis wiped his helmet clean of the girl's DNA and that they were never able to locate the clothing that he was seen wearing in surveillance video the night of the murder.

April was walking her dog at the time of the attack, and detectives were able to pull data from a sports application on her phone, showing that her walking speed had increased moments before she was attacked.

http://news.yahoo.com/michigan-man-convi....html?nf=1#

I remember this case! I hope her parents can take some satisfaction in his sentence but it seems very trivial compared to what they will live with for the rest of their lives.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]