Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AFFLUENZA

How the hell did we get to a place as a society where one's wealth is their defense? C'mon! Somebody better make that kid take responsibility for his actions this time around. I want him to experience some hard labor, I want him to get some fuckin' humility. Dramaqueen
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I blame the Judge that was influenced to accept such an ignorant defense. Putting him in jail for at least 5 yrs and for the next 3 yrs public service would have been a more effective and relevant sentence.
Or a public flogging.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(12-29-2015, 07:33 PM)Maggot Wrote: I blame the Judge that was influenced to accept such an ignorant defense. Putting him in jail for at least 5 yrs and for the next 3 yrs public service would have been a more effective and relevant sentence.
Or a public flogging.

That judge was a dipshit, no doubt.

[Image: jeanboyd-620x307.jpg]

Many citizens were outraged upon learning the sentencing of Ethan Couch -- more than 33,000 people signed a petition to have Judge Jean Boyd ^ removed from the bench. Then-governor Rick Perry took no action.

In 2004, Judge Boyd was presented with a black 16-year-old defendant, Eric Bradlee Miller, who drove a pickup truck while drunk and killed one person. Boyd sentenced Miller to 20 years in prison. According to the Star-Telegram, Miller was “a troubled teen whose mother was a drug addict and was being raised by his grandfather.” Ref: http://2paragraphs.com/2015/10/ethan-cou...r-a-judge/

Ten years later, Judge Boyd sentenced 16-year-old spolied rich kid Ethan Couch to probation for killing 4 people and paralyzing another while driving with a BAL 3x the legal limit.

Pretty fucked up disparity in judgment between the two cases, if you ask me. Fortunately, Judge Boyd "retired" from the bench in December 2014.

Anyway, I just saw Sheriff Dee Anderson and famed defense attorney Mark Geragos (represented Michael Jackson and Scott Peterson) interviewed on CNN. Sheriff Anderson had the most blatant "WTF" look on his face when Geragos suggested that Tonya Couch probably just innocently took her son on vacation for the holidays with no illegal intent.

Yeah, sure, Mark. Right after little Ethan was busted out on video apparently violating the terms of his probation and thus subject to incarceration, Momma Couch coincidentally forgot all about his regular probation check ins, had him dye his hair, took him off to another country, and stopped all contact with family and friends. Russian

Anyway, I'm hearing that Couch could face 10 years. I'm also hearing that he's likely to face only 120 days in a juvenile facility. Sheriff Anderson says that Tonya Couch will face charges as well and mother and son will be deported back to the U.S. soon.
I bet it's no fiesta in the slammer down there.
According to the police report, authorities honed-in on the Couches after one of their phones was used to order a Domino's Pizza in old town Puerto Vallarta.

Somehow, that just seems so.....them.

Story: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.2480537
(12-30-2015, 10:46 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: According to the police report, authorities honed-in on the Couches after one of their phones was used to order a Domino's Pizza in old town Puerto Vallarta.

Somehow, that just seems so.....them.

Story: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.2480537
Prosecutors were discussing penalties today on the morning news. As a juvenile, he wouldn't do much time at all (figures were thrown out in weeks, not months or years), so you have to wonder if this was even worth all of the media hype. On another note, Johnny Manziel was seen partying again last weekend. He could likely argue Afluenza as a defense in a criminal charge as well.
I don't consider media coverage of the story to be hype. I see it as crime news and continued coverage about a case of injustice (for the victims).

Couch was handed a gift with the original sentence and he was smug and smiling about it, then ran away instead of cooperating when he was being investigated for possible probation violation.

The Couches spit in the faces of their victims and law enforcement more than once, in my opinion. I'm relieved they've been apprehended. Based on their conduct and priorities to date, it wouldn't have surprised me if the kid had gotten behind the wheel shitfaced again when he was outside of the reach/view of U.S. officials and hurt or killed someone else.

Anyway, I'm firmly with local LE on this one and glad they asked the public, the media, and federal authorities to help apprehend Couch. He killed four people and earned the public interest and condemnation he's receiving, regardless of how much or little time he serves for his latest "fuck you, I'm above the law" criminal offense.
(12-30-2015, 11:59 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't consider media coverage of the story to be hype. I see it as crime news and continued coverage about a case of injustice (for the victims).

Couch was handed a gift with the original sentence and he was smug and smiling about it, then ran away instead of cooperating when he was being investigated for possible probation violation.

The Couches spit in the faces of their victims and law enforcement more than once, in my opinion. I'm relieved they've been apprehended. Based on their conduct and priorities to date, it wouldn't have surprised me if the kid had gotten behind the wheel shitfaced again when he was outside of the reach/view of U.S. officials and hurt or killed someone else.

Anyway, I'm firmly with local LE on this one and glad they asked the public, the media, and federal authorities to help apprehend Couch. He killed four people and earned the public interest and condemnation he's receiving, regardless of how much or little time he serves for his latest "fuck you, I'm above the law" criminal offense.
Not disputing that, just saying that there is no, nor will there be any justice. It's a legal system, not a justice system. Legally he will raise his middle finger again and walk away from this.
He walked away from his original sentence, but he isn't able to walk away from that violation. He's in detention with Mexican Immigration authorities in Guadalajara. He's already been incarcerated in Mexico longer than he was in the U.S. How much or little he is penalized when he is deported back to the U.S. remains to be determined.

In any case, the media coverage,or 'hype' as you referred to it, has nothing to do with whether the prosecutors will be able to bump Ethan Couch up to adult court or what specific other charges Ethan and Tonya Couch will face when they return to the U.S.

Those issues will depend on parameters and decisions within the U.S. criminal justice system. Like any large system, it's imperfect and there are elements and people within it that sometimes contribute to unjust outcomes or perceived unjust outcomes. But, it is in fact a criminal justice system.

Anyway, for now, the Couches have hired attorneys and they're fighting extradition. Both Ethan and Tonya Couch have filed a writ of amparo, which is a similar protection as America's writ of habeas corpus.

Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Richard Hunter held a news conference today in Houston. He said the deportation process is on the Mexicans' time line and the pair could be back in the U.S. within a couple of weeks or it might take a couple of months.

If the accommodations at the Mexican detention center really suck and Ethan's separated from his mom, it won't bother me if they stay there for a while. They're such a pair of shameless losers, in my opinion.
With you on that HoTD, A couple months in a mexican lockup would be a good thing. That said though, mexico has a Lot of corruption, spread a little cash around down there and they might end up in 4 star accommodations.
Personally, I would Love to hear that little shit takes a bit of abuse
Ethan is on his own in Mexico now. Mexico decided to fly mom's ass back to the U.S. tonight.

Ethan was reportedly moved to a bigger migrant detention facility in Mexico City where he'll reside until his deportation hearing. His attorneys asserted in the writ that deporting him would be a violation of his rights. If he confirms at the upcoming hearing that he really wants to stay in Mexican detention and fight deportation, his case will eventually go to trial in Mexico.

Texas prosecutors say Tonya Couch will be charged with hindering the apprehension of a juvenile -- a felony with a 2 - 4 year sentence if convicted.
I bet its much easier to bribe Mexican judges.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

That mother is a menace to her own son.
(12-30-2015, 06:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: He walked away from his original sentence, but he isn't able to walk away from that violation. He's in detention with Mexican Immigration authorities in Guadalajara. He's already been incarcerated in Mexico longer than he was in the U.S. How much or little he is penalized when he is deported back to the U.S. remains to be determined.

In any case, the media coverage,or 'hype' as you referred to it, has nothing to do with whether the prosecutors will be able to bump Ethan Couch up to adult court or what specific other charges Ethan and Tonya Couch will face when they return to the U.S.

Those issues will depend on parameters and decisions within the U.S. criminal justice system. Like any large system, it's imperfect and there are elements and people within it that sometimes contribute to unjust outcomes or perceived unjust outcomes. But, it is in fact a criminal justice system.

Anyway, for now, the Couches have hired attorneys and they're fighting extradition. Both Ethan and Tonya Couch have filed a writ of amparo, which is a similar protection as America's writ of habeas corpus.

Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Richard Hunter held a news conference today in Houston. He said the deportation process is on the Mexicans' time line and the pair could be back in the U.S. within a couple of weeks or it might take a couple of months.

If the accommodations at the Mexican detention center really suck and Ethan's separated from his mom, it won't bother me if they stay there for a while. They're such a pair of shameless losers, in my opinion.
Well I'm certainly glad to hear that justice will be served to the victims of his crimes then. Same for all of the victims of every crime in this country. Everyone gets justice! hah Bullshit.

I don't think anyone in here has ever argued that all victims and/or their families always get justice, if anything we have talked about how often that isn't the case at all and victims are left with the shitty end of the stick. Take that twat Jodi Arias for example, if there were any justice that bitch would be sittin' on death row.
(12-31-2015, 12:38 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I don't think anyone in here has ever argued that all victims and/or their families always get justice, if anything we have talked about how often that isn't the case at all and victims are left with the shitty end of the stick. Take that twat Jodi Arias for example, if there were any justice that bitch would be sittin' on death row.
Agreed 100%. It's a matter of what can be proved legally in a court of law. So calling it a "justice system" is misleading and makes the public expect that justice will be done. It's rare that a punishment is just. It is however almost always legal.
(12-31-2015, 12:09 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Well I'm certainly glad to hear that justice will be served to the victims of his crimes then. Same for all of the victims of every crime in this country. Everyone gets justice! hah Bullshit.

Nobody ever said that the criminal justice system guarantees satisfactory justice for all crime victims in this country. That would be impossible. You're laughing at bullshit you pulled outta your own ass, Gunnar.

Sometimes the punishment fits the crime and the victims and the public feel satisfied and well-served by the criminal justice system. Sometimes clear mistakes and injustices emit from the criminal justice system and some people feel outraged. Sometimes victims and members of the public have very different ideas about what constitutes 'justice'; can't please them all...

In any case, the U.S. has a criminal justice system, no matter how many times you post that it doesn't exist.
(12-31-2015, 12:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 12:09 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Well I'm certainly glad to hear that justice will be served to the victims of his crimes then. Same for all of the victims of every crime in this country. Everyone gets justice! hah Bullshit.

Nobody ever said that the criminal justice system guarantees satisfactory justice for all crime victims in this country. That would be impossible. You're laughing at bullshit you pulled outta your own ass, Gunnar.

Sometimes the punishment fits the crime and the victims and the public feel satisfied and well-served by the criminal justice system. Sometimes clear mistakes and injustices emit from the criminal justice system and some people feel outraged. Sometimes victims and members of the public have very different ideas about what constitutes 'justice'; can't please them all...

In any case, the U.S. has a criminal justice system, no matter how many times you post that it doesn't exist.
Then it's not really a justice system now is it? It's really more about what's proven to be legal and what is proven to be illegal. And sorry, that didn't come out of my ass, it's reality sweetheart. Our legal system has nothing to do with justice. Stomp your feet and piss your pants if you feel like you need to, but that's exactly what it is.
I don't stomp my feet and piss my pants, Gunnar. Sometimes I address repeated falsehoods though.

Anyway, you're obviously free to double down on your insistence that there is no criminal justice system in the United States even though it's a fact, not an opinion, that it's been in place for over two centuries.

It's my opinion that the U.S. criminal justice system is among the best in the world, though there's a hell of a lot of room for improvement.
(12-31-2015, 04:10 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't stomp my feet and piss my pants, Gunnar.

Well there goes my fantasy.