Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING
Journalism is dead, filled with hypocrites and storytellers.
I can't imagine what it's like now that it's legal. One big sage burn...
Also, how do you know that they were not in fact mixing up the two locations?
(01-20-2018, 10:19 PM)BigMark Wrote: Also, how do you know that they were not in fact mixing up the two locations?

Well.........I don't make up evidence when it comes to posting about crimes.

And, I don't make up "what if" excuses when I post a comment based on a wrong inference, which happens to everyone sometimes. Most of us just stand corrected and move on, no Biggie.

These are the facts: Paddock specifically searched out crowd sizes at "Santa Monica Beach" (not "Venice Beach", as you wrongly inferred). That computer search is the evidence shared by police and cited in the news articles.

And, as I already said doofus, if you want to plead your case that Santa Monica Beach isn't 'a famous California beach', take it up with the article writers. I think the characterization is accurate, but maybe you can convince Abigail and Ashley to edit their article and issue you a public apology!
The report includes the gunman's Google Map history which showed searches for Venice Beach in Los Angeles and Fenway Park in Boston.
(01-20-2018, 11:11 PM)BigMark Wrote: The report includes the gunman's Google Map history which showed searches for Venice Beach in Los Angeles and Fenway Park in Boston.

And?

I'm not contending that Paddock didn't look at maps and consider other locales, which could include Venice Beach.

I'm saying that part of the evidence shared by police was a specific search inquiry about 'Santa Monica Beach', which is the location referred to in the posted articles.
Here's more about Paddock's search history for Southern California locales.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...story.html
Just admit I was right, it won't kill you.
(01-20-2018, 11:55 PM)BigMark Wrote: Just admit I was right, it won't kill you.

hah

You're delusional and can't just admit that a beach in Santa Monica and a Santa Monica Beach are synonymous and not a reporting error.

Paddock looked at info regarding several other coastal cities in Southern California and elsewhere.

That doesn't mean that he and/or the authors of the articles mistakenly believed that any/all of them are located in Santa Monica, you stubborn fool.

I've stood corrected a few times in exchanges with you, it's not a problem. You, on the other hand, have no legs to stand on and just keeping spinning in circles.
At the Venice skatepark. Poetic justice!

[Image: b72.gif]

Took this picture right there. (shit that makes four bikes)

[Image: Wbp31YO.jpg]

Yeah! Let's nail some people in the head with skateboards! They've got it coming!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Do you think he'll turn his back on the bowl again?
Las Vegas Mass Shooting - Persons of Interest

Some press organizations were suing to get court and police documents released.

The judge in the case handed over some docs, but in one of them a second person of interest's name was no redacted.

The first person of interest was the killer's girlfriend, who has since been investigated and police now say is cleared.

The other person of interest who hasn't previously been named is Douglas Haig, 55, of Mesa, Arizona. It's not clear whether he's been cleared or what charges he might face (police have said repeatedly that there was only one shooter, so possibly firearms or accessory charges?).

Haig is an aerospace engineer who runs a web site, Specialized Military Ammunition, that sells advanced bullets and projectiles.

'We currently offer new loaded specialty ammunition, recovered reloading components and brass processing for 5.56 and 7.62 NATO as well as loaded ammunition - both civilian and military,' according to the site.

'Common products range from demilitarized components to new small arms ammunition components such as ball, tracer, incendiary, incendiary tracer, armor piercing and armor piercing incendiary in NATO and COMBLOCK calibers.'

Visitors to the site on Tuesday saw a message which read: 'We Will Be Closed Indefinitely. Check back to see if / when we are up and running again.'

Refs:
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/who-is-d.../946081559
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z55iefUYrs
California

We covered the Kentucky school shooting that went down a couple of weeks ago in the GUNS thread, link: http://mockforums.net/showthread.php?tid=9426&page=273 In that case, a 15-year-old boy did the shooting.

[Image: 48CCC3EC00000578-5341243-image-a-89_1517508354227.jpg]
Today, a 12-year-old girl ^ was taken into custody for allegedly shooting two 15-years-olds in a middle/high school classroom in Los Angeles. Fortunately, unlike the Kentucky case, no one was fatally injured today.

One of the victims was shot in the head, but got very lucky. The other was shot in the wrist. Three other people were hospitalized (but not for shooting injuries).

"One of the main missions ... is the issue of finding out how a young person had access to a weapon," Los Angeles School Police Chief Steve Zipperman said. "I assure you if we find out it came from an adult from a home that the proper prosecutorial procedures will occur."

Officers responded quickly by searching nearby classrooms and students for any additional weapons. Today's school shooting is the twelfth or thirteenth of the new year.

Refs:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-...018-02-01/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ested.html
^ Follow-up -- Accidental Shooting?

The semi-automatic handgun that fired accidentally inside a Los Angeles middle school classroom came from a 12-year-old girl's backpack and the single bullet tore through the wrist of another girl before striking a boy's head, police said Friday.

Los Angeles Police spokesman Josh Rubenstein said detectives are trying to figure out where the girl got the gun, which was unregistered, and why she brought it to school. It wasn't clear what made it fire.

The girl, who was booked on a charge of negligent discharge of a firearm after Thursday's shooting, has retained an attorney and isn't answering questions, Rubenstein said.

Jordan Valenzuela, a 12-year-old classmate of the girl's, told The Associated Press he was in the room next door when the gun went off and talked to her minutes later.

"She was crying," Jordan said. "She was like, 'I didn't mean to. I had the gun in my backpack and I didn't know it was loaded and my backpack fell and the gun went off.'"

Jordan said he saw a hole in the backpack, which the girl was holding, when she asked him to hide the gun for her. "I said 'No,'" he said. "Then I moved away from her because I was a little bit scared."

(continued)
The 15-year-old boy who was hit in the head with a bullet was initially in critical condition, though a doctor treating the boy said he expected him to make a full recovery.

The wrist wound to the 15-year-old girl was considered minor. Three others had superficial face or head injuries, some from broken glass.

Most accidental shootings involve someone actually handling firearms, as opposed to guns getting dropped, said Pete Gagliardi, a former longtime agent with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. "It's pretty rare to hear about an incident like this," Gagliardi said of Thursday's shooting.

He said the gun wouldn't necessarily had to have been cocked to go off in the girl's backpack, but mostly likely would have had to have become entangled with something inside the bag for the trigger to have been pressed.

A strikingly similar shooting to Thursday's happened just south of Los Angeles in Gardena on Jan. 18, 2011, when a gun went off inside a 17-year-old boy's backpack after he set it on a desk, wounding two students with one bullet, including a girl who was shot in the head.

The boy was charged with bringing a gun to a school zone. A spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office didn't immediately respond to a request about the outcome of his case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/12-ye...g-52786230
Follow-Up to Post 1453 -- Las Vegas Massacre Person of Interest Charged

[Image: 636531912215467654-1.jpg]
^ 55-year-old Douglas Haig of Mesa, Arizona was hit with federal firearms charges yesterday. He will appear in court again on February 15th and faces up to $250,000 in fines and 5 years in prison for selling tracer and armor-piercing ammunition, for which he did not have a license, to mass shooter Stephen Paddock.

Police found a box with Haig's name and address among Paddock's possessions early on. They also found bullets with incendiary capsules in the noses in Paddock's hotel room, some of them containing Haig's fingerprints and tool marks from his shop.

Haig held a press conference before being charged in attempt to protect his reputation. He says Paddock visited his booths at a Las Vegas and a Phoenix gun show, but he did not have the ammo Paddock wanted on-hand and Paddock later came to his home to make the purchase.

Haig claims he is sickened by what Paddock did and there's no way he could have read Paddock's mind and known what the polite and well-dressed man would do with the ammo he bought.

Well, even if what Haig claims is true, it's totally irrelevant -- he's being charged with manufacturing and/or selling ammunition without a license, not as an accomplice to mass murder.

More about the ammo and case: https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/us/dougla...index.html

After reading that I went to find out more about armor piercing ammo. Why would it be legal to sell that? Why? What good reason could anyone have for wanting that enough to fight for the right to buy it? Who needs armor piercing ammo?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-04-2018, 10:40 AM)Duchess Wrote: After reading that I went to find out more about armor piercing ammo. Why would it be legal to sell that? Why? What good reason could anyone have for wanting that enough to fight for the right to buy it? Who needs armor piercing ammo?

Maybe Six or F.U. can clear it up? Aside from military and LE, I'm not sure why armor-piercing bullets can/would be purchased for recreational use.

I think the 'incendiary nose' on some of the bullets is one of the reasons police believe that Paddock was trying to blow up the airplane fuel containers he shot at (it didn't work).

I'm not sure, but don't think those bullets are the same as armor-piercing bullets. It could be that Paddock was planning to shoot at people through cars, or that he thought armor-piercing bullets could penetrate the fuel containers?
^ I did some research.

Not all incendiary bullets are armor-piercing, and not all armor-piercing bullets are incendiary, but one can buy custom armor-piercing bullets with incendiary noses, if I understand correctly. (edited/corrected)

Haig, the dealer who sold the ammo to Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock, told the FBI that he only sold Paddock tracer bullets (pyrotechnic composition burns very brightly, making the projectile trajectory visible to the naked eye during daylight, and very bright during nighttime firing).

Haig said Paddock told him he was gonna light up the sky for some friends in the desert and there is no way he could have known otherwise.

But, LE found two unfired armor-piercing bullets with Haig's fingerprints and his workshop's tool marks on them when they searched Paddock's hotel room. Ooops.