Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING
(04-05-2018, 10:26 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: She was a Muslim, Vegan, Animal Rights activist. Liberal trifecta hah

I'm a white Catholic, mostly vegan, pro animal rights and I hug trees sometimes.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
As I noted guys, I was only speculating that the Youtube shooter might have acquired or picked up the gun just before the shooting. That's not a fact, just a pondering based on the vagueness and resistance of the gun range owner and shop when approached by local reporters.

We don't know yet if she visited Northern California more than 10 days before the shooting and then returned to carry out the shooting.

It's equally possible she'd acquired it somewhere else much earlier and had it all along her road trip.

In any case, California does have a 10 day waiting period and requires a safety certification. And, concealed carry permits are only issued based on 'good cause'. I don't know whether she had a concealed carry permit or not.

While regulations here are stricter than most states, lots of Californians own legally bought and sold guns, some people break the law, and the state sure isn't exempt from mass shootings.

While she seems nutty as hell, the Youtube shooter wouldn't have been in NICS unless she'd been legally declared mentally unfit by a judge (rarely happens) and that ruling had been passed on to the Feds.

Anyway, I suspect we'll find out more details about her legally purchased and registered Smith and Wesson 9MM as the investigation continues and LE updates the media.
semi-automatic not a revolver.[/i]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(04-05-2018, 10:52 AM)Jimbone Wrote: If the waiting period was violated I don't think they would have said she bought it legally. Just my opinion though.

I agree.

I'm wondering if she visited Nor Cal in the weeks before the shooting and scoped out the YouTube facility. If so, she could have legally bought the gun then and come back after the waiting period to pick it up, practice shooting, and carry out the attack. All speculative only.

Her family says they had no idea she had a gun.

I highly doubt she'd been granted a conceal carry permit, but that's not clear yet either.
(04-05-2018, 11:57 AM)Maggot Wrote: semi-automatic not a revolver.[/i]

I'm not clear what your post means.

One thing that I learned more about after the Parkland mass shooting is the difference between wounds resulting from semi-automatic rifles and handguns (semi-automatic hand guns included).

Here's one of the pieces from a radiologist, Dr. Sher, who's seen a lot of both.

Bullets fired by an AR-15 are different; they travel at higher velocity and are far more lethal. The damage they cause is a function of the energy they impart as they pass through the body. A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than, and imparting more than three times the energy of, a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun.

“The injury along the path of the bullet from an AR-15 is vastly different from a low-velocity handgun injury. The bullet from an AR-15 passes through the body like a cigarette boat travelling at maximum speed through a tiny canal…The high-velocity bullet causes a swath of tissue damage that extends several inches from its path. It does not have to actually hit an artery to damage it and cause catastrophic bleeding. Exit wounds can be the size of an orange.

A year ago, when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale airport with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun, hitting 11 people in 90 seconds, I was also on call…The gunshot wounds were the same low velocity handgun injuries as those I diagnose every day; only their rapid succession set them apart. And all six of the victims who arrived at the hospital that day survived.

From the author, Dr. Glatter: In the wake of this latest horrific mass shooting, the gun debate has begun again. But my argument is not a political one. Though I have no doubt that political arguments will continue to be passionately debated in other forums, my medical training has ingrained in me scientific studies of fact. And the fact is this: there is a clear difference between the bullet of an AR-15, and the bullet of a standard 9mm handgun.

Full piece: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatt...8a1ba43a16
Quote . . .Bullets fired by an AR-15 are different; they travel at higher velocity .

That is true, but not because it is from a AR15. It has more to do with pressure built in the longer barrel of the firearm. The longer the barrel, the longer the powder has to burn [up to a certain point where all the powder is burnt]after the explosion happens in the shell/bullet. This process varies greatly depending on barrel length as well as the action of a firearm. A single shot, double barrel, lever action, or bolt action is a sealed tube and 100% of the power sends the projectile down the pipe and on its path. Semiautomatics use part of the power of the shell to cycle the next round into the chamber, thus reducing power behind the bullet. Revolvers are the worst. The gap between the cylinder and the barrel expels a good portion of the power as the bullet jumps the gap between the two. So, the type of action as we'll as the barrel length have a great deal to do with severity of the wounds. You would get a higher degree of trauma from a bolt action 21 inch barrel 223556 than you will from a semiauto 18 inch barrel 223/556, If shot placement is the same.

ETA ... I am surprised more shootings don't happen with a AK47. The 7.62x39 is a larger bullet. There is a big debate among the hun guys weather they should use a AR or AK. At is harder hitting and larger [30 caliber]. AK is more accurate at further distances but only 22 caliber. A At is basically a hopped up 22 rifle. You can actually shoot 22's through a AR with just a bolt and magazine change.
Beer drinking, gun toting, Bike riding,
womanizing, sex fiend, sexist, asshole !
Don't like it? Well than F.U !!!!!!!!!
Thanks F.U.

Yeah, the AR15 was the rifle type discussed in the piece about mass shootings. But, rifles in general produce more severe gunshot wounds than handguns in general (from what I understand).

I think that's one reason a lot of people are pushing for the age minimum for long guns -- especially semi-automatic rifles like AR15s and AK47s which allow a shooter to fire off bullets more quickly -- to be increased to 21, same as for handguns.
Update on YouTube Shooting

The YouTube shooter purchased her 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun at an undisclosed San Diego dealer on Jan. 16, more than two months before she stormed into the San Bruno company’s outdoor cafeteria area and shot random employees as a result of her dispute over YouTube’s new video policies, according to San Bruno Police Commander Geoff Caldwell. The gun was registered in her name.

While the total number of shots is not determined, Caldwell said Ms Aghdam fired “several” and blasted through at least one magazine and reloaded with a second before firing again.

“Halfway through she exchanged magazines and continued shooting until she turned the gun on herself,” Caldwell said. One spent magazine was found at the scene, along with the gun and the second loaded magazine, he said.

California law limits gun magazines to 10 rounds each, but Caldwell said he did not know if Aghdam’s were legal. Her handgun had a 17-bullet capacity, according to Smith & Wesson.

To purchase the firearm, Aghdam would have had to pass a background check that reviewed any criminal history, DMV records, outstanding warrants, restraining orders and mental health holds.

Meanwhile, her father told Daily Mail reporters that he doesn't believe his nice and hard-working daughter meant to shoot anyone but herself (denial, delusion, lying?).

Her father also said today that his daughter had no mental problems, just anger at how YouTube treated her and refused to listen to her complaints and help her. In addition, he continued to insist he'd warned police that she might be headed to YouTube to do something and asked them to bring her home, but police told him they had no cause to do so.

The male shooting victim remains in critical condition according to today's news reports.

Refs:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/05/y...go-dealer/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...blems.html
Good news, the male YouTube shooting victim has been upgraded from critical to fair condition. It looks like all of the shooting victims will survive.
The family of the YouTube shooter appeared on Good Morning America this morning.

When police located her sleeping in her car, her brother Sean Aghdam, 41, told police he was worried she might be up to something like starting a protest or a fight at YouTube HQ.

LE confirmed to Good Morning America that they told the family not to worry about it and that they would "keep an eye on her."

But, police instead just let her go and Mountain View Chief of PD said his officer only meant he'd keep an eye on her as a "turn of phrase to end the conversation" because it would have been impractical, possibly inappropriate or even a civil rights violation to track someone who hadn't committed a crime.

The brother said he was so concerned that he drove to San Francisco on the morning of the shooting to find her and was almost there when the family was notified of the shooting.

Sean Aghdam immediately knew it was Nasim and turned back. He said his sister had been obsessed with YouTube and that it came up in nearly every conversation with her.

"Right now," father Ismail Aghdam told ABC's Matt Gutman, "I [was] thinking she never hurt one ant, how [did] she shoot people? Right now I [was] thinking that. How she did that? I don't know."

After listening and watching them, I believe this family is truly shocked and distraught and did tell police they were concerned she would start trouble at YouTube.

Interview and video: http://abcnews.go.com/US/youtube-shooter...d=54279052
The Parkland school district just voted against allowing teachers to conceal carry in classrooms.

The Stoneman Douglas teacher who went on record saying he would like to conceal carry on-the-job after the mass shooting there in February was arrested last weekend.

He left his loaded 9MM Glock in a public bathroom at the Deerfield Beach Pier on Sunday. A homeless man found it and fired off a round before the teacher got it back from him.
Nobody ever checks the box "I am stupid"
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Let me check it for them!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp81HHP-fYYGer7tUm3UY...qYozZV1s00]

Check it for everyone..
How many in Mexico where they are mostly illegal?
(04-14-2018, 09:49 AM)BigMark Wrote: How many in Mexico where they are mostly illegal?

Mexico's gun homicide rate per capita is a bit higher than the U.S.

That doesn't make me feel any better about the gun violence problem in the U.S. though.

We are generally considered the most economically developed country in the world. And, we tend to herald ourselves as a country of law and order.

However, I don't think the latter is a view shared by a majority of people around the world anymore.

Out of 195 countries, the United States has the 31st highest rate of violent gun deaths in the world with 3.85 deaths per 100,000 people in 2016.

When sorted by GDP, however, the United States has a much higher violent gun death rate compared to other developed countries, with over 10 times the number of firearms assault deaths than the next four highest GDP countries combined. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...-countries

So, what's your point Biggie?
More gun laws won't work, maybe if they start enforcing the existing ones, maybe. You can't put the Genie back in the bottle like some other countries are possible.
(04-14-2018, 03:34 PM)BigMark Wrote: More gun laws won't work, maybe if they start enforcing the existing ones, maybe. You can't put the Genie back in the bottle like some other countries are possible.

That's original and has never been stated in this thread or all over the web by gun enthusiasts for ages. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Anyway, I still don't see why you singled out Mexico in your astute post. But whatever.

I agree better enforcement of gun laws is desperately needed. And, I support some of the new guns laws passed in Florida and hope/think they will prevent some gun violence. They're not mutually exclusive strategies.

What do you mean about putting the Genie back in the bottle -- are you referring to the U.S. having a constitutionally-guaranteed right to bear arms?

If so, some countries have indeed put that Genie back in the bottle (though I'm not one who supports repealing the Second Amendment).

Constitutions which historically guaranteed a right to bear arms are those of Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Liberia, Mexico, Nicaragua and the United States of America.

Nearly all of the Latin American constitutions were modeled on that of the
United States.

Currently, only three still include a right to bear arms: Guatemala, Mexico, and the United States.
Mexico because I hate them, does that fit your agenda? Or maybe it's the closest country to me that I actually go to. There are already too many guns here, it would be civil war to retrieve them. They should offer some serious cash for gun buy backs, it will be cheaper in the long run.
I don't have an agenda, Biggie. I just asked a question about your comment because the connection to the post to which you responded wasn't clear at all.

Now I see that you're pushing an anti-confiscation agenda, which is fine. But, I didn't see anybody mention confiscation of guns in the first place.

Anyway, I now understand why you singled out Mexico ("cuz it's close to you or you hate Mexico"). No objection here.

Singling out Mexico was just a weak choice and part of why your original point was unclear and why you're now contradicting your clarified agenda.

Mexico does not have comparatively strict gun laws compared to most countries which permit civilians to bear arms via constitutional guarantee or other means. And, Mexico certainly doesn't have stricter gun laws than those listed in the meme Crash posted.

As for gun buy-backs, that 's what Australia did after its worst mass shooting many years back. It seems to have been effective in drastically reducing mass shootings. I agree the U.S. should consider leveraging gun controls/policies/strategies that have been effectively implemented by other countries.