Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING
Maggot Offline
Supermod

RE: ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING

Many teachers could and would prefer to be armed making it voluntary is the way to go. Involuntarily arming teachers would not work. Yesterday I went to pu my son at school and had to be buzzed in all the doors were locked and there was a resource officers car parked in the front, he was in the building. I liked that and I would also like metal detectors in the doorways. I really do not care how "inconvenient" it is.
I agree that holding parents responsible for securing their weapons should become a law. I know that they are legally bound to secure them but they should also be to blame if they are used by their children to kill. Much like insurance rates go up when a kid becomes 16 and is using any car in the driveway. All these things should have been put into play years ago.

You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance.
05-23-2018 07:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

A single point of entry with metal detectors could work efficiently in smaller schools, but not for the thousands of schools with large student bodies.

At Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, for example, it would take over 5 hours to screen all students before they entered the building if there was only one entry, one walk through metal detector (fastest and least invasive mode), one security staffer manning the walk through detector, and one security staffer using a wand to check students who set the walk through detector off. That assumes only 6 seconds per scan with an enrollment of 3,100.

But, the entry/scan process could be made more efficient for larger schools if there was space and funding for multiple detectors and security staff at a single point of entry, or if there were multiple points of entry with separate detectors and security staff.

That would be expensive and would in no way replace the need for more gun safety/control legislation. A lot of the citizens who object to increased taxes are also the ones who object to gun safety/control laws, in my observation. But, the funding would need to come from somewhere (which should not include reallocation of education budget).

Perhaps the funding could come out of existing Homeland Security or Defense budget; that seems appropriate and would require those agencies to prioritize and cut back somewhere else. Or, maybe a school safety tax could be applied to all new gun purchases to create the additional funding. The NRA, in my opinion, should not be permitted to play a role in any of it -- which I think they might suggest in order to create a new profit center and further embed themselves. If conservative politicians entertained NRA involvement, I could easily see that motivating a whole lot of voters to get to the polls in protest.

05-23-2018 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

Follow-up on Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting

We covered this case starting on page 91 upthread.

Esteban Santiago has pleaded guilty to killing five people and wounding six others in January 2017.

[Image: untitled25.jpg?quality=85&strip=...amp;crop=1]

In exchange for the guilty plea and with agreement from the deceased victims' families, the death penalty was taken off the table.

Santiago, a schizophrenic Iraq veteran, had contacted the FBI and told them that ISIS was forcing him to watch their videos in the months before the mass shooting. He had also recently been involved in a domestic violence incident.

His guns were taken away when he proactively called the FBI and he agreed to mental hospitalization. When he was released four days later, LE handed him firearms back and sent him on his way.

I'm glad to hear he won't spend the rest of his life on death row. He is reportedly stabilized now that he's on medication.

What Santiago did was awful. However, he actively sought help and clearly posed an ongoing danger to society. Yet, authorities failed to follow through with monitoring.

In my opinion, Santiago's case supports the need for Red Flag laws (which I support, with due process).

Story: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/esteban-san...-shooting/

05-23-2018 04:36 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Oklahoma City

[Image: 4C9B022500000578-5769727-image-a-19_1527210186163.jpg]

A man entered the Louie's Restaurant tonight, wearing ear protectors and eye glasses, and began shooting at people.

He hit a woman and her 12-year-old daughter as they were entering the restaurant for a family birthday celebration.

Mother and daughter are both in surgery.

Witnesses say the man seemed to be shooting randomly.

As the shooter was trying to flee the scene, a male civilian armed with a handgun shot the shooter dead. Other witnesses on the scene described the armed civilian as a blessing.

No identities or further details yet available.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...urant.html

05-24-2018 10:30 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Shoots fired at a middle school in Indiana. A middle school! Jesus Christ. I have no details. Same shit, different school.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
05-25-2018 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(05-25-2018 10:55 AM)Duchess Wrote:  Shoots fired at a middle school in Indiana. A middle school! Jesus Christ. I have no details. Same shit, different school.

No longer surprising, but no less sad and maddening. :(

A heroic science teacher tackled a student gunman to the ground after he opened fire in an Indiana classroom on Friday morning, leaving two people critically injured.

[Image: 4C9F121C00000578-5771707-image-m-19_1527257408525.jpg]

According to students who survived, the gunman burst into a classroom at Noblesville West Middle School at 9.06am and opened fire, critically injuring a 13-year-old girl and one teacher.

It is not clear if the injured teacher is the same one who brought him to the ground.

The shooter (believed to be a student) was arrested shortly afterwards and remains in police custody.

I sure hope the shooting victims survive.

Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z5GWsf0gzB

05-25-2018 11:57 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Good news! VP Mike Pence & Mother are praying for the victims of the latest school shooting.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
05-25-2018 11:57 AM

SIXFOOTERsez Offline
Mocker

Still no locks on doors or metal detectors. Still no govt sponsored PSA's telling folks to secure their guns, Still no public warnings about kids on phychotrophic drugs, still no one in jail for bullying, and other fucktardery

05-25-2018 04:34 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Some updates on the Indiana middle school shooting

The student gunman burst into the seventh grade science classroom and opened fire on students around 9am.

He had been sitting in the class and returned with two handguns after asking to be excused.

A thirteen-year-old girl was wounded before science teacher Jason Seaman, 30, tackled the shooter to the ground.
[Image: zcATMA6V_400x400.jpeg]
Seaman ^ was shot three times as he wrestled the student and 'swatted' the gun out of his hand. Brave man.

He underwent surgery after being taken to hospital and his family say he is doing 'well'.

The teenage girl who was injured was in a critical condition this morning and there has been no update.

The suspect is in custody but no details about his identity have been released other than that he is a student.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z5GY1ArP86
---------------------------------------------

If recent history is an indicator, the shooter will have used his parent's guns and either the girl rejected him or he will claim to have been bullied at school.

05-25-2018 04:40 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Follow-up to post #1782

[Image: 636628670955305718-27752312-102155543667...5567-n.jpg]
Juan Carlos Nazario

[Image: screen-shot-2018-05-25-at-1-35-07-pm.jpg...;strip=all]
Brian Whittle

Nazario (a licensed security guard) and Whittle (a National Guard member) were near the Louie's Restaurant in Oklahoma City when they heard shots ring out. They reportedly both went to their vehicles and retrieved their guns.

When the gunman who'd just randomly shot three people entering the restaurant was fleeing the scene, the two strangers ordered him to drop his gun. The gunman, Alex Tilghman - 28, (a licensed conceal carry security guard), didn't comply.

So, the two good samaritans shot him, killing Tilghman before he could shoot anyone else. This appears to be a true case of good guys with guns stopping a bad guy with a gun.

Oklahoma City police and people near the scene of the crime are grateful and hailing the two men as heroes.

Hopefully, the three victims will all pull through.

Refs:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018...645607002/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ooter.html

05-25-2018 09:52 PM