Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
KNOCK OUT ASSHOLE
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: KNOCK OUT ASSHOLE

These knock-out crimes are crazy shit, no doubt.

While the 2009 statute extended the hate crime act to include crimes where victims are targeted based on sexual orientation and/or transgender, it also tacked on these two stipulations which apply to victims targeted based on race, religion, disability...targets who were already covered in the 1969 act:

- Removes the prerequisite that the victim be engaging in a federally protected activity, like voting or going to school;
- Gives federal authorities greater ability to engage in hate crimes investigations that local authorities choose not to pursue;

^ Those two changes give authorities a much broader reach to classify something as a "hate crime" and open the door for the feds to step in if they believe such a crime has occurred and the state doesn't want to pursue it (or maybe doesn't have the means).

One recent example of the broadening of the fed reach that kinda bothered me was the push by some to have Zimmerman charged with a hate crime and tried at the federal level after the state of Florida failed to get him convicted.

Haven't heard anything about that lately and I know the fed said that they were reviewing it (they kinda had to say that at the time), but it would have rubbed me the wrong way to see him tried again, in a different criminal court, for the same crime under a different classification (regardless of how I feel about his guilt or innocence).

12-30-2013 11:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Donovan Offline
Clarified idiot

This guy is in for a big surprise when he gets to prison. Lots of willing knockout players in there...who might have a little trouble with a white bigot.

Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
12-31-2013 08:13 AM

Cynical Ninja Offline
back and as popular as ever

(12-30-2013 10:53 PM)Maggot Wrote:  I think this guy was targeted by the Feds because he said he was targeting blacks unlike the other assholes that said they were targeting "anyone" but it was whites that they were knocking out. He said he was doing it against whites unlike the blacks that said they were targeting anyone that was not black.
No transgenders were knocked out in this game but the face is now white thanks to this idiot.

It is nuts and lots of people have to much time on their hands. But I have noticed more people defending themselves against this crap and the perps winding up dead. As it should be.

Blah, blah, blah, blah yes black people do it too we take the hint maggotyboo.

This case was a white guy targeting an old black man because he was black. Try discussing that instead of playing racial poker, I'll see your racist white guy and raise you this racist black guy.

Jesus.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
12-31-2013 08:37 AM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

You idiot, the game was being played last year. Why did it take so long to get the hate crime thing started I am not saying it was right but why did it take a white guy doing it to get peoples heads out their asses like you should.

12-31-2013 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

SIXFOOTERsez Offline
Mocker

Politics is why it took so long for the feds to get in on the party.
We all KNOW that our fine upstanding black folk here a bouts would Never do anything racist.
How many of these assaults have you seen committed against black folks?
I can think of 1.
Research for later today, got stuff to do ..

12-31-2013 10:38 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I get what you're saying, Six.

But, when you do that research later, legally, the key is whether any of those blacks prosecuted for assault instead of "hate crime" essentially handed authorities a confession that they planned to target victims of a specific race. Is there any evidence of that which would stand up in a court of law?

Barrett, we know, painted a target on his own chest. The dipshit recorded himself saying that he planned to assault a black man specifically, recorded himself committing the crime, bragged about it to strangers...

I can't say for a fact, but I'd imagine the other knock-out artists weren't, by their own admissions, looking for national attention - they were more likely trying to avoid being caught. I'd be surprised if they were carrying around a shitload of evidence against themselves right there on their persons.

If the criminally stupidest of the knock-out artists to be caught thus far happens to be white, that's the way it is.

Also, as I posted upthread, there may be more evidence that we haven't heard about yet. For example, if Barrett also taped himself or told others that he planned to target a handi-capped vet to get national attention, or a Catholic nun to get national attention...it might make it less likely that his targeting of a black man will be seen as a hate crime in the eyes of a jury, and instead more of an attention-seeking crime. On the other hand, if he's on record as having said that all black people are shit and deserve to be used as punching bags and that he wouldn't knock-out anyone til he secured a black target, he's effin' history, IMO.

I think there are more factors than Barrett being white to consider when contemplating why he's the only knock-out artist thus far to be charged with a hate crime. I'm interested in what your research reveals, but think it might not make too much difference until we know the full case against Barrett.

12-31-2013 11:13 AM

SIXFOOTERsez Offline
Mocker

I see what your saying, apparently you have to say your targeting an individual based on their membership in whatever protected group they are in.
Unless your a white guy driving around capping colored folks, then the media gets to decide what your guilty of.
If your a minority and driving around capping white folks, as long as you don't say "Die Honkey Die, then your just misunderstood, disadvantaged and its not your fault.

12-31-2013 01:55 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

If your post above is supposed reflect what you got me to be saying, I don't think you got what I was saying at all, Six.

I'm talking about evidence, and your ignoring that key factor, IMO.

Were the black knock out artists so generous as Barrett in handing over what could translate into a taped hate crime confession to authorities? Any records in evidence of any of them saying, "I'm going to knock out a white person?" Any confessions to an officer by any of the black suspects that they were specifically out to get whitey? Any witnesses coming forward to say that the black suspects talked about or planned knocking out white people specifically. If there are, I haven't seen/heard of them.

If I haven't seen/heard of any such evidence because it doesn't in fact exist, it's apples to oranges to compare their criminal charges with Barrett's criminal charges. Even if people, including prosecutors, think that some of the black suspects probably targeted white people specifically, without the kind of evidence that they have against Barrett specifically targeting a black man, there's no probable cause to charge the black suspects with hate crimes.

I, btw, don't disagree that there are inequities between how crimes are handled based on race; by the courts and the media sometimes. But, thus far in this thread, I've been focused on the Barrett case. If your research uncovers any of that evidence I mentioned against the black suspects who knocked out white people, then I too will want to know why the hell only Barrett, the white man, got charged with a hate crime when the others did not. At present, I don't find the difference in the charges against Barrett as compared to the others surprising, confusing, or discriminatory towards the white suspect - based on known evidence.

Doesn't matter if you don't want to look at it from the legal perspective, Six. I sense that it's more a personal issue for you and I respect that. Just clarifying that what you said you got from me in no way reflects a re-iteration or reworded statement of my thoughts or words on the subject.

12-31-2013 03:42 PM

SIXFOOTERsez Offline
Mocker

No HOTD, I didn't misunderstand you, I do understand the legalities, I was being a smartass about what I actually see happening.
If your white and do something stupid to a black person you are automatically accused of being racist regardless of your stated motives.
The same is not the same if your black
I don't know if the expectations from the public at large are different or what, its just what I see.
Legally I understand that the white guy is an asshole and needs to go away for a long time.
All the vids I have seen are black kids assaulting white people, IMO it doesn't make them any less an asshole than the white guy.
The difference is the legal evidence, maybe its there maybe not, but I would be surprised if its not.

12-31-2013 04:11 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(12-31-2013 04:11 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote:  No HOTD, I didn't misunderstand you, I do understand the legalities, I was being a smartass about what I actually see happening.

Sorry, Six. Smiley_emoticons_bussi Sometimes I miss nuances.

All of these knock out perps are assholes to the nth degree, regardless of color. I agree.

Based on your posts in reference to different races and race relations and such since I've been at Mock, I rarely ever share your views on the subject in general or in specific cases.

But, I usually do at least understand where you're coming from most of the time; this is one of them.

Will be interesting to hear more about the evidence in the Barrett case in future hearings and at trial.

Hope you have a great New Year's celebration, Six.

12-31-2013 05:13 PM

Cynical Ninja Offline
back and as popular as ever

(12-31-2013 01:55 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote:  If your a minority and driving around capping white folks, as long as you don't say "Die Honkey Die, then your just misunderstood, disadvantaged and its not your fault.

Nobody is saying that you fucking mong.

Jesus Christ.

If a black guy filmed himself saying “I'm going out and I'm deliberately going to knock out a fucking old cracker white bread motherfucker”. Guess what? He would be done for a hate crime! Its not rocket science.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
01-01-2014 01:02 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Barrett's lawyer to challenge "hate crime" constitutionality; seeks to have client charged at the state level

George Parnham, a lawyer for Barrett, said in an interview that he planned to challenge the constitutionality of the hate crimes statute. He said it was "absolutely" inappropriate for the feds to get involved in this case, and that this type of alleged assault should have been charged under existing Texas law. His client could face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 if convicted on the federal level.
=============================================

Did some quick research; Texas did pass state "hate crime" laws in 2001, but only 10 defendants have been charged with a hate crime in over a decade in Texas, and only one case has gone to jury. Other states have prosecuted many more under state hate crime laws, but still it's uncommon.

Determining that a crime was committed based on bias or hate towards the victim-type is very difficult without tangible proof (few defendants record statements like Barrett did or like Neo-nazis have in the past).

I get the feeling Texas LE would have charged Barrett with "assault" without the "hate crime" designation at the local level, but the feds intervened and kicked it up. JMO on that.

Ref: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/speci...ect/nRjsf/

01-02-2014 12:35 PM

SIXFOOTERsez Offline
Mocker

Maybe, but it seems to me it would have been easy enough to make the case for hate that they would use it, if nothing else than to use it as leverage for sentencing.

01-02-2014 01:04 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

Caption this time..............

[Image: eric_holder-300x30034.jpg]

01-02-2014 01:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply