Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
HAILEY OWENS, 10 - MURDERED, MO.
ScientistsCanvas Offline
Mocker

RE: HAILEY OWENS, 10 - MURDERED, MO.

this is my town. my daughter is the same age and went to school with Hailey until two years ago. we were eating dinner as a family when the amber alert came across our phone. we took part in the 10,000 strong candle light vigil. to say this case has hit close to home, and has been devastating, is an understatement. this type of horror can literally happen to anyone, anywhere at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.
so heartbreaking.

03-26-2014 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Duchess Away
Administrator

(03-26-2014 11:20 AM)ScientistsCanvas Wrote:  this is my town. my daughter is the same age and went to school with Hailey until two years ago. we were eating dinner as a family when the amber alert came across our phone. we took part in the 10,000 strong candle light vigil. to say this case has hit close to home, and has been devastating, is an understatement. this type of horror can literally happen to anyone, anywhere at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.
so heartbreaking.

Yes, it is heartbreaking & it must be very scary as a parent.

Long time, no see. Smiley_emoticons_smile

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
03-26-2014 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

ScientistsCanvas Offline
Mocker

(03-26-2014 11:28 AM)Duchess Wrote:  Long time, no see. Smiley_emoticons_smile

I just hate when life gets in the way of my online time. Smiley_emoticons_wink

The whole time the Owens case was unfolding, I was itching to come to Mock.

03-26-2014 11:40 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-26-2014 11:20 AM)ScientistsCanvas Wrote:  this is my town. my daughter is the same age and went to school with Hailey until two years ago. we were eating dinner as a family when the amber alert came across our phone. we took part in the 10,000 strong candle light vigil. to say this case has hit close to home, and has been devastating, is an understatement. this type of horror can literally happen to anyone, anywhere at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.
so heartbreaking.

It really is heartbreaking and anger-inducing.

Hailey's autopsy is now complete and, on Monday, Greene County prosecutors added charges of rape and sodomy against Wood. It's not surprising, but still terrible to imagine what Hailey went through before she was murdered.

Wood was already facing charges of murder, child kidnapping and armed criminal action.

Last month, Hailey's biological parents filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Wood as well.

Ref: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rape-charges...rls-death/

04-23-2014 10:26 AM

ScientistsCanvas Offline
Mocker

interestingly, my husband got a summons for jury duty for next month. our first thought was this case. not sure things would be moving that quickly, but it’s the first thing that came to mind. There’s no way my husband would be selected… Smiley_emoticons_wink

04-24-2014 01:23 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Guilty

Jurors found former middle school coach Craig Wood guilty of kidnapping, raping, and shooting Hailey Owens to death in February 2014.

[Image: 45D6C1FD00000578-5043935-image-a-75_1509647763881.jpg][Image: 45D691D600000578-5043935-image-m-74_1509647754565.jpg]
^ POS Wood at the time of the crime (left) and during his trial (right).

His Defense attorney did not deny that Wood was guilty of the crimes, but contended that there was no premeditation.

Instead, the attorney said Wood was a meth addict and that combined with Wood's suppressed sexual desires caused him to act spontaneously. Pfft.

The jury disagreed and found him guilty of premeditated murder. The sentencing phase of the trial is next and the death penalty is one of the options.

[Image: 45D6C1ED00000578-5043935-image-a-65_1509647700170.jpg]
I hope the guilty verdict brings some measure of peace to Hailey's family. She was a doll.

Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-girl.html

11-02-2017 06:47 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

I could think of a few things that would make him welcome death.

11-02-2017 07:26 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(11-02-2017 07:26 PM)BigMark Wrote:  I could think of a few things that would make him welcome death.

Right now, the fucker's fate remains unknown.

The jury was unable to reach a unanimous decision as to whether Wood should be sentenced to death or life in prison.

So, since Missouri is one of only two states that pushes the decision to the Judge in such situations, Judge Thomas Mountjoy will make the call on January 11th.

Other states follow the federal procedure that the defendant is sentenced to life in prison if a jury can’t reach a decision on the death penalty.

In 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that only a jury, not a judge, can make that decision. So, if Wood is sentenced to death, it's expected that his attorney will appeal it. I'm not clear about how/whether the state law can supersede the recent federal ruling.

11-14-2017 02:23 PM

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

My daughter is 9 and I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I’d had a child murdered.

I’d have so much guilt that I wasn’t there to protect her, I’d probably die of a broken heart.

I’d also want to figure out a way to kill whoever had done it, which is wrong, but would somehow feel so right.

11-14-2017 04:39 PM