Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ATHLETIC ASSHOLES
(07-24-2014, 09:53 PM)Duchess Wrote: ...and I'd just like to add that the same guy who suspended Ray Rice for two games once suspended a player for an entire season for using pot.

Yep. Ruined the Browns ENTIRE season.

Just kidding. Dick move though.
(06-01-2017, 01:15 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(06-01-2017, 01:13 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I saw it on the news early this morning. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's addicted to pain killers.

He loves Ambien while having sex.

How do you know that? Inside information?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Cutz, Gunnar and I discussed CTE some time back (starting at post #520).

Since then........

Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, who committed suicide while incarcerated for murder, was post-mortem diagnosed with "the most severe case of the degenerative disease"; the medical report indicated that his brain was "significantly impacted" by the effects. And, Hernandez was very young.

Now, amid criticism from the Concussion Legacy Foundation and concerns from retired players and their families regarding payouts from a $1 billion concussion settlement, the NFL is faced with the reality that chronic traumatic ecephalopathy (CTE) can potentially be diagnosed in living patients.

Former Minnesota Vikings' linebacker Fred McNeill passed away due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. He played for the Vikings from 1974-1985, entering the NFL as a first-round draft pick out of UCLA.

Dr. Bennet Omalu, the first to publish studies on CTE in football players, had diagnosed McNeill as suffering from CTE while he was still alive. He died in 2015. On Thursday, it was confirmed that McNeill's post-mortem brain examination verified that the diagnosis was accurate.

McNeill's wife, Tia, and his two sons, Gavin and Fred Jr., told Dr. Sanjay Gupta in 2016 that they had witnessed Fred transform from a fun loving family man at the center of their lives into a man who was dealing with symptoms of memory loss, anger and depression that tore their family apart. He'd worked as a lawyer after retiring from the NFL.

Unfortunately, Dr. Omalu anticipates it will take as many as five years for any kind of commercial test involving living CTE victims to become available.

Ref: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/resea...-with-cte/
I'm not much of a golf or Tiger Woods fan, but after his very public arrest for DUI in 2017 and scandalous affairs years earlier............it was kinda cool seeing him get his act together and winning the Master's on Sunday.

[Image: tiger-celbs-e1555271394904.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

Nike was one of the sponsors who stood by Woods through it all and that loyalty paid off after Sunday's victory.

Snip:

The sporting gear company's stock price rose 2 percent after the golf tournament's kickoff on April 11 and continued to edge up Monday following his victory, adding more than $2 billion to Nike's market value. Sales of some Woods-branded items sold by Nike are also jumping.

The win — Woods' first at the Masters in 14 years and his fifth "green jacket" — has captured public attention in the way few sporting events do, marking the epic professional comeback of one of the world's most famous athletes. 

Advertisers including AT&T, Gillette and Gatorade cut ties with Woods after a 2009 sex scandal and an arrest for driving under the influence. But Nike, which has sponsored Woods since the start of his career more than 20 years ago, largely stuck with him even after his personal and professional life went into a tailspin. 

(continued)
The NIKE company was able to trot out a tribute to the golfer the same hour as his Masters win — the message: persevering through adversity. The company said it has had the ad ready to release for years.

"It's crazy to think a 43-year-old who has experienced every high and every low and has just won his 15th major is chasing the same dream as a 3-year-old," the spot said.

Yet while Americans love a comeback, some experts question whether hoisting another Masters trophy will lead to more endorsement deals for Woods. 

"In the #MeToo era, it will be difficult for Woods to come back as the mega-endorser he once was," said Ronn Torossian, CEO of public relations firm 5WPR. "Nike stood by him, and obviously they're going to capitalize on his win, but I don't think many Fortune 500 companies will come back to work with him." 

Full story:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tiger-woods...00-10aaa3b