Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TURMOIL IN THE UKRAINE / RUSSIA AGGRESSION

Unless you live under a rock you are aware of what's going down in the Ukraine.

This morning I heard John Kerry expressing outrage over Russia invading the Ukraine and I laughed to hear him sounding so put out. My feeling is that you can't condemn another country for doing the same goddamn thing your own country did.

I love my country & I'm a proud American but American leaders are such an embarrassment much of the time. Jesus.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
The U.S. should stay out, it seems the world has been crazy at war over the past 20 years and nobody is winning.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-03-2014, 11:02 AM)Maggot Wrote: The U.S. should stay out

Yes, they should & they should also avoid making empty threats.
I wonder if Putin wants to reclaim part of the Ukraine, specifically Crimea - very important sea base for Russia.

A good portion of the Ukraine never wanted to secede from Russia in the first place. But, of course, a good portion did want to be an independent nation. I think it's estimated to be about 60/40, the majority side depending on who's doing the estimating -- last I read.

Guess we'll see if Poland, Hungary and other US allies in the region start getting nervous and asking for our intervention.

Anyway, I agree that we should stay out and see if this can be contained locally. Hopefully, it won't turn into another civil war (and nobody will be looking to stoke one for their own political agendas).

Some of the people of Crimea are taking selfies with the Russian soldiers. It's a happy group filled with pretty young women and mothers with their children standing next to men with covered faces and big guns. I didn't see anyone who looked threatened or uncomfortable. Granted, it was just a few pix.
The Ukraine is almost bankrupt, it might be a blessing. Let-em have it just stay away from Alaska you Commie pinko Fags. You sold it fair and square.
Great Britain and America really haven't got a leg to stand on accusing Russia of interfering in a situation that has nothing to do with them.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.

Putin isn't backing down, if anything he is stepping up his game and now John Kerry is in Kiev.
Great, just great....52
(03-04-2014, 02:35 PM)Maggot Wrote: Great, just great....52

Yup.

He visited a memorial for the slain protestors & the Prez is asking Congress to work with his administration in financing a billion dollar "aid package" that will help to stabilize the Ukraine.
Typical western attitude.

“If we throw lots of money at it will it go away?”
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
You can't just have Putin behaving like a bully boy and invading a country.
Putin is pissed because he was just this close to A sweet deal with the ousted gov't that would have sealed Ukraine's fate to be forever indebted to Russia and a part of the Eurasian Economic Union. Putin's brain child. Putin needs Ukraine more than Ukraine needs Putin, imo.
(03-04-2014, 09:56 PM)Adub Wrote: Putin is pissed because he was just this close to A sweet deal with the ousted gov't that would have sealed Ukraine's fate to be forever indebted to Russia and a part of the Eurasian Economic Union. Putin's brain child. Putin needs Ukraine more than Ukraine needs Putin, imo.

Yeah, alliances and block building is what it's all about. I agree.

So, Crimea's parliament just voted to leave the decision whether to separate from the Ukraine and reunite with Russia up to the people via referendum vote (to take place in 10 days).

The Prime Minister, Yatsenyuk, who's meeting with European leaders in Belgium, claims that such a vote wouldn't render a legitimate decision and that Crimea will remain part of the Ukraine. The Justice Minister backed him up saying that only a "national" referendum would be legitimate -- not just one region's vote.

Yatsenyuk said Ukraine is ready to sign an association agreement with the European Union. President Viktor Yanukovych's decision to drop the EU agreement was the catalyst for the protests that led to his downfall.

Could get ugly if the people of Crimea vote on March 16th that they want to be governed by Russia and the Ukraine leadership tries to veto that wish. Messy.
Hello Boys and Girls...My Name is Hillary

[Image: AR-140309802.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667]

Clinton compares Putin to Hitler during address at Long Beach Boys & Girls Club

Last week, Putin put Russian troops on the Ukrainian peninsula in Crimea, insisting that Russia has a right to protect its interests and Russian-speakers in Crimea and elsewhere in Ukraine. However, there has been no sign of ethnic Russians facing attacks in Crimea, where they make up about 60 percent of the population, or elsewhere in Ukraine.

The decision followed a new government coming to power last week in Ukraine following months of pro-democracy protests against the now-fugitive president, Viktor Yanukovych, and his decision to turn Ukraine toward Russia instead of the European Union.

Hillary explained to the kids:
“Now if this sounds familiar, it’s what Hitler did back in the 30s,” she said. “All the Germans that were ... the ethnic Germans, the Germans by ancestry who were in places like Czechoslovakia and Romania and other places, Hitler kept saying they’re not being treated right. I must go and protect my people and that’s what’s gotten everybody so nervous.”

Putin is a man “who believes his mission is to restore Russian greatness,” Clinton said. That includes reasserting control of what used to be countries under the former Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact, she said.

Ref:
http://www.presstelegram.com/general-new...zi-germany

Oh dear. Be careful, Hillary!
Hillary's Hitler comments have now made their way into the mainstream political news pages in a big way.

I'll say this, when she talks, people listen. The pundits and politician are busy speculating as to why she would have made such comments.

Is it because she failed at one of her major goals as Secretary of State -- to "reset" Russia -- and she wants to show the 2016 voter base that she's not soft on foreign matters, specifically in regards to Putin? Is it because she was right in her comparison (she's actually being defended by a couple of Republicans)? Is it simply because people are quick to invoke Hitler when making negative comparisons during conflicts (George W did it with Hussein, John Kerry did it with Assad, etc...)? Is it because she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about and she's irresponsible -- harming the US's attempts to affect peaceful resolution in the Ukraine? All being tossed around and dissected.

The original story was from a local Long Beach, CA. newspaper. It was reported that Hillary's comments were made at a Boys and Girls Club event - which is true. But, it's being reported by other outlets now that she was speaking at a private fundraiser for the organization, so I'm not sure if she was addressing any kids or not.

I don't think that was a smooth move on her part but knowing what I think I do about her I have to believe she has an agenda. She's aware that any time she makes a provocative (or not) comment that it will get out into the public even if the comment is made at a private affair.

I fell asleep listening to CNN report about this bs in the Ukraine. I don't like being involved in this at all. Why do we always have to take a role in babysitting the world? Jesus. I feel like my country is threatening Russia. Putin is not a mentally well balanced individual, in my opinion. It's dangerous to poke people like him or issue ultimatums.
Its a good thing we retired the space shuttle and now depend on the Russians to get up to the space lab now! hah

This shit is going from bad to worse.