RE: MYSTERY IN THE SKY - WTF?

I have my people on it, out looking right now as we speak

[Image: skywhale_zps543f9237.jpg]

03-11-2014 02:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

[Image: n-MALAYSIA-AIRLINES-large570.jpg]

^ Those are the two passengers who had the stolen passports. Turns out, they are Iranian, not Asian.

Snip:
Interpol secretary general Ronald K. Noble said Tuesday the two men traveled to Malaysia on their Iranian passports, then apparently switched to the stolen Austrian and Italian documents.

Noble said the recent information about the men made terrorism a less likely cause of the plane's disappearance, but that did not allay concerns about the ease of travel involving stolen passports.

He identified the men as Pouri Nourmohammadi, 19, and Delavar Seyedmohammaderza, 29. The 19-year-old is believed to have planned to seek asylum in Germany.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/11...39881.html

03-11-2014 09:00 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-10-2014 04:45 PM)Maggot Wrote:  The ocean is very very big and when something lands on the surface it can travel many miles before hitting the bottom especially a plane they are very light.

From the AP:

In an age when people assume that any bit of information is just a click away, the thought that a jetliner could simply disappear over the ocean for more than two days is staggering. But Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 is hardly the first reminder of how big the seas are, and of how agonizing it can be to try to find something lost in them.

It took two years to find the main wreckage of an Air France jet that plunged into the Atlantic Ocean in 2009. Closer to the area between Malaysia and Vietnam where Saturday's flight vanished, it took a week for debris from an Indonesian jet to be spotted in 2007. Today, the mostly intact fuselage still sits on the bottom of the ocean.

"The world is a big place," said Michael Smart, professor of aerospace engineering at the University of Queensland in Australia. "If it happens to come down in the middle of the ocean and it's not near a shipping lane or something, who knows how long it could take them to find?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I sure hope the families of the missing don't have to wait years for answers, but it could happen.

03-11-2014 12:39 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I didn't know it could happen like that. I assumed it would be like every crash I had seen when the plane went into the ocean. I thought there would be a debris field.

I read something earlier about loved ones calling the cell phones of those missing and the phones were ringing. It was very sad.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
03-11-2014 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

I've been reading about this since Saturday morning, and I'm having a hard time pinning down exactly what I think happened. However, I'll list them in order of probabability:

1. Pilot suicide.

2. Hijacking, and plane is still intact somewhere (or crashed during struggle in cockpit).

3. Bomb explodes and plane disintegrates.

The fact that the Malaysian military is now saying they tracked this airliner WEST, for another hour after its transponder disappeared, leads me to believe either the pilot or co-pilot intentionally sabotaged the plane.

However, it could also indicate a hijacking. The whole thing is just hard to believe. The Iranians traveling with stolen passports certainly lend credence to the hijacking possibility.

The U. S. has been searching the Strait of Malacca since Day 1, so to me it would seem people behind the scenes know more than they're letting on.

03-11-2014 12:59 PM

QueenBee Offline
Boring Bitch

Yesterday they said that the black box should be pinging, even underwater. But maybe it is too deep. A guy formerly with the NTSB was also saying that if there was a sudden hull breach, like in a window or door, the sudden inrush of cold air (they speculate -6 degrees) would have rendered the passengers and crew immediately kind of dopey and senseless. That is why they could have disappeared without any word from pilots.

I would like a new sig line, but am not sure what it should be. So I will just put a tag that says "This space for rent"
03-11-2014 01:05 PM

Cynical Ninja Offline
back and as popular as ever

Mass alien abduction obviously.

Why abduct a kid when you can abduct a whole planeful of people?

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
03-11-2014 05:06 PM

crash Offline
Mock Elder

(03-11-2014 12:47 PM)Duchess Wrote:  
I read something earlier about loved ones calling the cell phones of those missing and the phones were ringing. It was very sad.

A student from a lecture I did yesterday was talking about this. I'm curious to know the source of the information. I wanted to say at the time wouldn't the NSA, Interpol or some other similar body be able to triangulate the phone's position if it had signal, but I don't know enough about that kind of stuff. Maybe it's only possible in the movies hah

03-11-2014 05:14 PM

ZEROSPHERES Offline
Geschlechtslos

(03-11-2014 12:59 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  The U. S. has been searching the Strait of Malacca since Day 1, so to me it would seem people behind the scenes know more than they're letting on.

I agree with MS...

Quoted from the article: "If the reports from the military are verified, it would mean the plane was able to maintain a cruising altitude and flew for about 500 km with its transponder and other tracking systems apparently switched off."

[Image: 3-11-20145-24-09PM.jpg]

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.579123

[Image: giphy.gif]
03-11-2014 05:27 PM

ZEROSPHERES Offline
Geschlechtslos

(03-11-2014 12:58 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Maybe Amelia didn't really "disappear". Maybe she was just incognito on a gingerly island-hopping excursion, trying to "find herself" sexually. She was a pioneer, after all.

A pioneer cookie muncher

[Image: jyguyg.jpg]

03-11-2014 09:34 PM

blueberryhill Offline
Mocker

This is certainly a mystery....it reminds of a Flying Tiger airplane that disappeared in March 1962 after refueling in Guam enroute to Vietnam. Contact with flight was lost after leaving Guam.
I lost a friend on that flight and no trace was ever found.
Nearby ships reported bright lights in the sky as if something had exploded, but again, no evidence ever of airplane or passengers. Area
where it possibly would have crashed was approximately 6 plus miles deep. I was a stewardess then, having retired from flying, but returned to fly for Flying Tiger for 3 months due to our troop build-up in Vietnam. I had layover in Guam, but I never flew Vietnam leg of trip. According to recent article I read (can't remember source), there have been 6 such mysteries in aviation history. I do think plane is in the water somewhere off course....

03-11-2014 10:33 PM

ZEROSPHERES Offline
Geschlechtslos

Co-Pilot could have made a habit of NOT enforcing cockpit security while in flight

[Image: 3-12-20146-59-20AM.jpg]

Woman says she and friend flew in cockpit with missing jet's co-pilot in 2011

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/11/world/...le_sidebar

03-12-2014 07:05 AM

ZEROSPHERES Offline
Geschlechtslos

Picture of the two Iranians travelling on stolen passports
Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad (left) and Delavar Seyed Mohammadreza(right)

[Image: iranians-stolen-passports-1.jpg]

03-12-2014 08:12 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-11-2014 10:33 PM)blueberryhill Wrote:  This is certainly a mystery....it reminds of a Flying Tiger airplane that disappeared in March 1962 after refueling in Guam enroute to Vietnam. Contact with flight was lost after leaving Guam.
I lost a friend on that flight and no trace was ever found.
Nearby ships reported bright lights in the sky as if something had exploded, but again, no evidence ever of airplane or passengers. Area
where it possibly would have crashed was approximately 6 plus miles deep. I was a stewardess then, having retired from flying, but returned to fly for Flying Tiger for 3 months due to our troop build-up in Vietnam. I had layover in Guam, but I never flew Vietnam leg of trip. According to recent article I read (can't remember source), there have been 6 such mysteries in aviation history. I do think plane is in the water somewhere off course....

Sounds like an interesting job, blueberry. I know it's been a very long time, but sorry about your friend.

I didn't realize how many aircraft have seemingly vanished into thin air over the course of aviation history. It's not a "common" occurrence, but there have been a number of hot air balloons, several private planes, and a couple of commercial carriers that disappeared without a trace.

Wikipedia has a good summary chart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aer...ppearances

03-12-2014 12:30 PM