Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
Duchess Away
Administrator

RE: SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS

I'm choosing not to think about the awfulness of it all, I'm burying my head. Other people's misery affects me and I don't want to be affected.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
04-26-2015 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

It's heartbreaking; hard not to be affected by what the people of Nepal and the tourists there are going through.

The latest update is definitely a buzzkill.

[Image: 2806946000000578-0-image-a-57_1430164276924.jpg]

With the death toll now standing at more than 4,000, ^ mass cremations have been taking place next to the Bagmati river, the waterway which divides the Nepalese capital, as mourning families attempt to give their loved one the honourable send-off so revered in Hindu tradition.

Today, plumes of white, acrid smoke could be seen floating across Kathmandu, as hundreds of bodies were burned in the ghats beside the river.

Around these ceremonies, families gathered, wailing in grief for their loved ones. Scores of dead children were wrapped in orange and gold cloth on the ground, as their relatives prayed for their souls in heartbreaking desperation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z3YYaZhOfI

04-27-2015 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

A Week Later...

[Image: _82643122_026970089-1.jpg]

Amazingly, today three people were pulled out alive from the rubble of their home eight days after Nepal's devastating earthquake.

The current toll of 7,056 dead is likely to rise as an entire village was carried away by the avalanche and many more people are believed to have died, officials said.

The United Nations said 8 million of Nepal's 28 million people were affected, with at least 2 million needing tents, water, food and medicines over the next three months. According to the United Nations, 600,000 houses have been destroyed or damaged.

U.S. military aircraft and personnel were due to arrive in Nepal on Sunday, a day later than expected, to help ferry relief supplies to stricken areas outside the capital Kathmandu, a U.S. Marines spokeswoman said.

The team arrives as criticism mounted over a pile-up of relief supplies at Kathmandu airport, the only international gateway to the Himalayan nation, because of customs inspections.

05-03-2015 01:24 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(05-03-2015 01:24 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  criticism mounted over a pile-up of relief supplies at Kathmandu airport, the only international gateway to the Himalayan nation, because of customs inspections.

Hopefully they'll rethink their priorities. I understand things need to be inspected but I think this would be a good time to forgo the red tape.

05-03-2015 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Donovan Offline
Clarified idiot

In point of fact the Nepal govt is starting to look like real bastards as well, for saying the climbing season was safe and fine etc. Sounds like the whole system is corrupt as hell over there with the lives of the citizens and sherpas being practically worthless. That is where my sympathy lies, not with the douchebags on the mountain. I'd like to know if any of them ever spent fifty to a hundred grand on relief efforts when the quake hit instead of blowing it climbing a big rock? Or the "leisure firms" that make a lucrative business on that mountain and the backs of the sherpas. Seriously, the more I see and read about it the more disgusted I get.

Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
05-03-2015 06:16 PM

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

"Douchebags on the Mountain"

Could be the next edition of Dateline: NBC.

05-03-2015 06:29 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

TEXAS AND OKLAHOMA HIT BY DEADLY FLASH FLOODS

[Image: article-3096131-2910599700000578-643_964x398.jpg]
Pictured above: Laura McComb, 33, and her children, Leighton, four, and six-year-old Andrew, have been missing since Sunday.

- Laura's husband Jonathan McComb, 36, survived the flooding and was being treated for a collapsed lung and broken bones in the hospital.

-Retired dentist Ralph H. Carey and his wife Sue, from Corpus Christi, were among the missing along with their daughter Michelle, her husband Randy and son Will. They were staying at the same home as the McCombs.

-Four other people were also declared missing this weekend.

-In addition, four deaths were blamed on the storms over the weekend, including two in Oklahoma and two in Texas, RIP. Among the dead is Claremore Fire Captain Jason Farley who drowned trying to help others.

Story and photos: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...Texas.html

05-25-2015 01:21 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(05-25-2015 01:21 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  [Image: article-3096131-2910599700000578-643_964x398.jpg]
Pictured above: Laura McComb, 33, and her children, Leighton, four, and six-year-old Andrew, have been missing since Sunday.

This is so sad. She called her sister as the house was being swept away and said, "I'm in a house floating down the river, tell Mom & Dad I love you". I can't begin to imagine how awful this has been for her husband who couldn't save his wife and kids :(

05-26-2015 10:26 AM

Jimbone Offline
Now with more intolerance!

Such a sad story.

The amount of rain has been something... we've gone from extreme drought to surplus water in about 4-5 weeks.

Most river basins are saturated now, so flooding risk is up just about everywhere.

05-26-2015 11:35 AM

Maggot Online
Supermod

This year it was a slow melt around here. I've seen how floods can flash in the red dirt of Texas it's worse there by far.

05-26-2015 11:39 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(05-26-2015 10:26 AM)Duchess Wrote:  This is so sad. She called her sister as the house was being swept away and said, "I'm in a house floating down the river, tell Mom & Dad I love you". I can't begin to imagine how awful this has been for her husband who couldn't save his wife and kids :(

It's gotta be awful for the husband/father who survived. He was holding onto a tree as the house was swept away. Imagine the sense of helplessness and loss.

Another family from Texas lost their 18-year-old daughter. She is described as well-loved upbeat high school senior who'd just been elected homecoming queen.

[Image: 2910ACD000000578-3096131-image-a-27_1432568222323.jpg]
Alyssa Ramirez ^ was returning from prom when her car stalled. She called 911 and called home, but the flood was too forceful and too quick. Her car was swept away and she was found dead with it the next morning. RIP.

In the U.S., a line of storms that stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to the Great Lakes dumped record rainfall on parts of the Plains and Midwest, spawning tornadoes and causing major flooding that in Texas destroyed or damaged more than 1,000 homes and forced at least 2,000 residents to leave their homes.

"You cannot candy coat it. It's absolutely massive," Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said after touring the destruction.

The governor has declared disaster areas in 37 counties so far, allowing for further mobilization of state resources to assist.

Ref: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/20...-her-home/

05-26-2015 01:18 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Smooth move by Anheuser-Busch.

Anheuser-Busch has recently halted beer production at one of its facilities for a very good reason.

According to company officials, its brewery in Cartersville, Georgia, has temporarily reconfigured itself to produce cans of drinking water for flood victims in Texas and Oklahoma instead.

It plans to provide the American Red Cross with more than 50,000 cans of potable water as part of relief efforts.

Story

05-30-2015 02:05 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

DEADLY FLOODING IN SOUTH CAROLINA

At least seven people are dead and hundreds have needed rescue as South Carolina continues to be deluged by rain and historic levels of flooding. A State of Emergency has been declared.

Department of Transportation worker Timothy Wayne Gibson, 45, died Sunday, the most recent fatality blamed on the vast storm. Gibson was reportedly working on the flooded Garners Ferry Road, a major thoroughfare into the capital city. Transportation officials said his truck was caught in rushing waters, overturned and swept away.

The National Weather Service said Sunday was the wettest day in the history of Columbia, with the rainfall total at the Metropolitan Airport coming in at a record 6.87 inches. The two-day rainfall total for Saturday and Sunday was 10.44 inches and, since Friday, more than 20 inches have fallen in some parts. The fast-moving floodwaters have buckled buildings and roads, closed a 75-mile stretch of Interstate 95, and threatened the drinking water supply for the state's capital city.

Gov. Nikki Haley said Monday morning that 381 roads were closed, 127 bridges were down and more than two dozen shelters were open. Over 1,000 law enforcement personnel and 1,000 transportation department workers are on duty. Utility crews are still trying to restore service to 30,000 customers.

Haley said most people are heeding her plea to stay off the roads.

"I think they get it," she said. "All you have to do is look out the window and see the flooding. It doesn't take long for you to get in your car and realize you've got to turn back around."

Emergency shelters were being opened around the state for displaced residents, and President Barack Obama declared a state of emergency in South Carolina.

Along the coast, rainfall had exceeded two feet since Friday in some areas around Charleston, though conditions had improved enough that residents and business owners were allowed downtown on a limited basis.

Charleston Mayor Joe Riley said he's never seen flooding as bad in his 40 years as mayor.

-----------------

The rescue workers there are busting their assess and putting their own lives at risk. Hoping the storm lets up soon.

Full story: http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2015/10/0...ast-coast/

10-05-2015 11:49 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I saw some video of their interstate highway and it looked like a fast moving river. I'm sorry for those who are losing everything including their lives. It's horrible.

10-05-2015 06:38 PM