Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
This makes me cry. I am so sorry anyone has to go through this. : (
(08-28-2017, 03:45 PM)Duchess Wrote: Have any of you ever been through a flood? I've had a little water in the basement, nothing the shop vac couldn't handle. I have never experienced anything at all like what is going on in Texas.

My old hometown of Hoosick Falls had a flood a few months ago, but nowhere as bad as Texas. Still I'm glad I moved, even though our old house is on top of a hill so it probably didn't get flooded.
Unbelievable images and video coming out of Houston, and more to come I am sure.
(08-29-2017, 06:55 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Unbelievable images and video coming out of Houston, and more to come I am sure.
Yeah, I've seen 2 separate pics of sharks swimming down I-10. Gonna be a while to get all that cleaned up. FEMA is buying hotel rooms down there and the storm has lightened up enough now to make rescue efforts in nearly all regions affected possible. There needs to be a nation wide law that vendors cannot raise their prices on necessities during disasters. I saw a pic of a 24 pack of 12 oz bottles of water selling for $46 in Houston. On the other hand, there is a guy down there that owns 2 furniture stores and a clothing store. He opened the doors to both of his furniture stores so that people displaced could have a place to sleep and gave away clothing to those in need.
I could see gators there but sharks in the ocean that's a ways away from Houston. Maybe eastern Pasadena.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-30-2017, 11:35 AM)Maggot Wrote: I could see gators there but sharks in the ocean that's a ways away from Houston. Maybe eastern Pasadena.
You've never been to Houston have you? hah

I'm pretty sure all the Harvey shark rumors have been debunked.

[Image: 636396284015716361-shark.JPG]

Any time you see a picture of a shark swimming down a street — or in a subway station, or what have you — after a major flooding event, be suspicious. Fake shark pictures, often the work of photo editing, are the most inevitable visual viral hoax in a disaster like this, to the point that it’s almost become a meme. And Harvey was no exception:

The shark is not swimming down the street. It was not swimming down the (same) street during Hurricane Matthew. It wasn’t swimming in the aftermath of Sandy. And most of the other pictures of sharks swimming where people were are fake, too.

Because of their popularity, these shark images are usually quickly debunked. But as the tweet we’ve highlighted shows, part of the reason it’s a popular hoax is because people seem to fall for it, every time.

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]

Next week House GOP'ers have a vote scheduled on a bill that cuts disaster aid by $876 million.

Ted Cruz has got his hand out after crying like a bitch when lawmakers on the East Coast wanted money for Hurricane Sandy.
(08-30-2017, 01:24 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Next week House GOP'ers have a vote scheduled on a bill that cuts disaster aid by $876 million.

Ted Cruz has got his hand out after crying like a bitch when lawmakers on the East Coast wanted money for Hurricane Sandy.
There's a hell of a lot more damage in Houston than Sandy could ever dream of delivering.

And with regards to your shark pic story, The video I saw could be CGI I suppose. I will go look for it.
(08-30-2017, 03:17 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: There's a hell of a lot more damage in Houston than Sandy could ever dream of delivering.

And with regards to your shark pic story, The video I saw could be CGI I suppose. I will go look for it.

I saw someone down there say it was "Katrina x10". I can't even imagine the misery they are all feeling. So much sadness, and then I see people helping each other and I am so moved.

I'm only commenting on the shark simply because of what I recently read. If it's real, I think it's completely fucked up that it's one more danger for those people. If it's not real, meh, I sorta gasped when I first saw it and I'm getting a chuckle out of others like me saying whoa.
(08-29-2017, 06:55 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Unbelievable images and video coming out of Houston, and more to come I am sure.

The before and after photos of downtown Houston and nearby highways -- like the one Zero posted upthread -- are surreal and eye-opening, that's for sure.

So are the random pics of people doing whatever it takes to stay afloat and get to safety.

The 4th photo in this gallery, with the older woman and her poodle floating on an air mattress on Sunday night while a rescue copter hovers overhead, is particularly surreal to me for some reason. She looks very calm and resolute. What else can you do, really. Gallery: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08...fullscreen
Here's the pic.

[Image: main_900.jpg?1503944333]
(08-30-2017, 03:27 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The 4th photo in this gallery, with the older woman and her poodle floating on an air mattress on Sunday night while a rescue copter hovers overhead, is particularly surreal to me for some reason. She looks very calm and resolute.

I've noticed that same look on many of the senior's faces and I've seen a lot of bravery from them as well.

There is a chemical plant down there, Arkema Inc. I think it's called. I read that the chemicals in the plant will degrade and create a fire/explosion in the coming days and the CEO says there is nothing they can do about it because of the flooding.

(08-30-2017, 04:10 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 03:27 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The 4th photo in this gallery, with the older woman and her poodle floating on an air mattress on Sunday night while a rescue copter hovers overhead, is particularly surreal to me for some reason. She looks very calm and resolute.

I've noticed that same look on many of the senior's faces and I've seen a lot of bravery from them as well.

There is a chemical plant down there, Arkema Inc. I think it's called. I read that the chemicals in the plant will degrade and create a fire/explosion in the coming days and the CEO says there is nothing they can do about it because of the flooding.

1/5 of the US oil output has been affected by this, so there's much more than 1 chemical plant to worry about.
(08-30-2017, 12:47 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:35 AM)Maggot Wrote: I could see gators there but sharks in the ocean that's a ways away from Houston. Maybe eastern Pasadena.
You've never been to Houston have you? hah

No, and I had to see where it was so I looked it up it's built on swampland just like New Orleans. They have flooding quite a bit there and quite a few Hurricanes have hit it. It's right next to Galveston. I just couldn't believe sharks could go that far in from the ocean in water that was 50% fresh water. The humidity there averages around 78% I could not live there.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-30-2017, 04:38 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: 1/5 of the US oil output has been affected by this, so there's much more than 1 chemical plant to worry about.

Yeah, I know, but that was the only one I had read about so far, so I couldn't talk about the other ones.

I want to help the animals but I'm afraid of getting scammed. I have to research this a little.
(08-30-2017, 04:46 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I want to help the animals but I'm afraid of getting scammed. I have to research this a little.
I recommend a LOT of research if you're giving $$$. Humans are the priority right now so i'm sure there's a lot of scammers preying on this undetected. Just read about a $99 case of water. Fucking people. I hate most of them on this earth.
(08-30-2017, 05:20 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Humans are the priority right now

I gave to them yesterday, today I'm thinking about the animals.

I have a shit ton of compassion but not an ounce for those that abandoned their animals.