Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
Saturday a 7.8 magnitude earthquake rocked Nepal, killing more than 2,200 people (that estimate is expected to rise). RIP.

[Image: IMG_6581.png]

[Image: nepal-earthquake-3.jpg?quality=65&strip=color&w=838]

Today an aftershock of 6.8 worsened the already terrible situation and made it even harder for rescue workers to access impacted areas of the country.

Snip:
Freelance photographer Omar Havana was in Kathmandu when the earthquake hit central Nepal.

“Everything started moving and my wife and I could [barely] stand,” Havana tells TIME. “I live in a six-floor house, so we ran downstairs as the building started to crack. It was very scary—people were running, shouting and crying. It was awful.”

With a death toll rising by the hour—this earthquake is Nepal’s worst in 81 years—Havana witnessed scenes of panic as people looked for safety in open spaces.

The Spanish photographer, who moved to Kathmandu seven months ago and is represented by Getty Images, also saw acts of humanity. “People are doing amazing work,” he said. “They’re doing everything they [can] to help each other.”

Havana has been documenting these scenes, filing images that show the extraordinary extent of the destruction and the astonishing solidarity in its wake. “I try to be as human as I can be but it’s hard not to be overwhelmed [by] what’s in front of my eyes: a hand appearing from the debris, a mother hold[ing] her baby. I’m just trying to tell the story of the people and the damage caused to the city.”

While shooting, Havana is also on the lookout for survivors, helping clear rubble. “I keep my eyes open, hoping I will see a person alive under the debris.”

Story and rescue photos: http://time.com/3835621/nepal-earthquake-pictures/

Messages In This Thread
RE: SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS - by HairOfTheDog - 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM