Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
(12-27-2015, 04:45 PM)Duchess Wrote: Tornadoes are so scary. Give me a plain ol' hurricane any day.

Yeah, they're scarier than earthquakes to me. But, that might just be because I'm used to quakes and most of them aren't deadly.

I saw one family interviewed after the tornado hit Texas this morning. Their house was pretty much thrashed, but they all survived because they had a storm shelter. I always think of those as below-ground, like in Wizard of Oz. But it was above ground and on the side of the property. Another man said he put his wife in the bathtub and lied on top of her, they both survived.

I understand there is an alarm system to let residents know when a tornado is heading towards them, but the max lead time is 14 minutes. Not a lot of time, but enough time for the people at home to hunker down or get to safe shelters.

The people on the highway weren't so fortunate. I think all the fatalities were people who were swept up in moving vehicles. Man, it would be scary to see that coming at you with nowhere to go.

ETA: I hadn't even thought about pets, Six. Good to know the emergency workers are looking out for them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS - by HairOfTheDog - 12-27-2015, 09:34 PM