Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
Well, obviously I don't think a deadly hurricane and people without power, food and water is the best thing that could happen to any locale. However, I hope Puerto Rico is enabled to rebuild with a more solid foundation after the current emergency is under better control.

I think most people know that FEMA and the military's goal is to help save lives and move the people out of emergency/relief mode as quickly as possible and then move on (though FEMA is still in Katrina 12 years later and there are still serious infrastructure issues and spending in excess of the initial budget there). Still, the president making a public statement like that about Puerto Rico 3 weeks into a humanitarian crisis involving American citizens was ignorant and politically-motivated, in my opinion.

Trump tried to clean it up this morning though and said help would ALWAYS be there for Puerto Rico. So, hopefully, that calms the mayor down and reassures the governor. The governor has been very supportive of Trump but was taken aback by Trump's statement yesterday and asked for reassurance.

Florida and Texas got help very quickly with no public chastising after Irma and Harvey, despite infrastructure failures there (we really need infrastructure upgrades across the whole mainland U.S. too, in my opinion). By all accounts that I've read and heard so far, the U.S. government acted quickly enough for them and they're satisfied. But, I do think those in the worst peril there were much easier to reach than those in remote areas of Puerto Rico.

Anyway, sounds like hard but rewarding (not just financially) work you'd be doing in Puerto Rico Six.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS - by HairOfTheDog - 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM