Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
I hope if anyone knows anybody carrying PG&E stock, you suggest they take another look.

For those unfamiliar, PG&E is the local gas and electric company. They were already reamed for the San Bruno gas explosion. I understand they're getting the blame for at least several of these fires.

My husband got out at $59+. It will be interesting to see where it goes (I'm so caring, right?). It got down to $50, bounced back to $56...Hmmmm.
Commando Cunt Queen
PG&E has restored power to 90% of the fire-afflicted areas, but less than half of residents have had gas restored.

Firefighters in several counties are making progress containing the flames. Air quality is bad, masks are needed in some areas.

40 people are now confirmed dead. I don't know how many pets died, but I did see footage of one dog who found his way out of the smoke and got rescued yesterday.

Several wineries were lost, but many had systems in place that helped preserve some of their grounds and vines.

Today the winds are supposed to be the weakest since the fires started. Hopefully, the fires can be fully contained soon, without any more deaths and destruction of homes. 30

The fires appear to be largely limited to non-inhabited areas now; hoping it stays that way.

Live updates: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Ca...o-14349437
(10-15-2017, 11:45 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't know how many pets died, but I did see footage of one dog who found his way out of the smoke and got rescued yesterday.

I may have seen that same video. It was heartwarming and I could hear the relief in his human's voice. Their home was burnt to the ground and yet the dog went right back there. I was incredulous when I saw him coming towards the people with his tail wagging. It was a lovely scene in the midst of so much sadness and destruction.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-15-2017, 11:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: I may have seen that same video. It was heartwarming and I could hear the relief in his human's voice. Their home was burnt to the ground and yet the dog went right back there. I was incredulous when I saw him coming towards the people with his tail wagging. It was a lovely scene in the midst of so much sadness and destruction.

It really was heartwarming to see Izzy reunited with his (or her?) family. The dog got separated from the family in the fire and evacuation. When Jack Weaver went back to find and bury Izzy, he found that Izzy had returned home, alive and well.

Yes, Izzy. Wah. I'm a sucker for these kind of stories. Makes me feel weepy all over again.
HotD, I just read that the air quality in San Francisco is worse than Beijing. Is that true? I know you mentioned smelling smoke the other day. Has it gotten significantly worse?
(10-15-2017, 08:15 PM)Duchess Wrote: HotD, I just read that the air quality in San Francisco is worse than Beijing. Is that true? I know you mentioned smelling smoke the other day. Has it gotten significantly worse?

It was bad earlier in the week; fire smell and light ash all over my truck. A couple of caregivers called in sick (but they're the same ones who call in sick when it rains or when it's too hot -- seriously).

The air quality was much worse north of San Francisco and closer to the fires though.

Today I worked out back for a while and didn't notice any air quality problems.
Thanks! I really couldn't imagine your gorgeous city looking like it was layered in a polution fog like Beijing.
(10-12-2017, 04:39 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: I may have a deal on the table to go to Puerto Rico for a month, $1k/day, sounds like a good deal. Got to find out what they are going to do about housing, I can put up with just about anything for a month for that kind of $. Security is a problem, hard to get a CCW permit.
Find out a little more tomorrow
I know someone who is there right now. She's living in tent city.

Any of you on the West Coast see this on your commute?

It's terribly sad and depressing.

My youngest sister takes the 405 to and from work, but she's off until February.

So many structures and homes burned and the So Cal fires are still raging from lack of rain and the high winds. Usually fire season ends in October, but not much is usual these days.
(12-06-2017, 06:04 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: It's terribly sad and depressing.

It really is. Heartbreaking :(

We were watching coverage of it early this morning and it was said the winds were expected to be around 70 MPH. Awful, just awful.
I'll be in the area tommorow.
(12-06-2017, 06:06 PM)Duchess Wrote: We were watching coverage of it early this morning and it was said the winds were expected to be around 70 MPH. Awful, just awful.

It's still raging and only 15% contained, despite the dedication and long hours put in by firefighters in California and neighboring states. One person has died, which is awful, but fortunately there haven't been more fatalities. Over 200,000 acres have been lost and 40+ retired race horses perished.

[Image: thomas-fire-ventura-county-california-december-2017.jpg]

The fire is only a couple of miles from the Santa Barbara Zoo now. It was good to read that they have a comprehensive fire evacuation plan and have done a lot of practice drills with the animals.

It's surreal and so sad seeing a December wildfire ravaging coastal cities; helpless feeling. Hoping for a change in weather and quicker than expected containment. 30

I've heard a few people here talking about the horses, my boss is one of them. I'm thinking "oh Jesus God, please shut up". She wants to give me a play by play and my heart is breaking for the animals and the people who have lost everything. Such a terrible year of devastation :(
Be safe out there HOTD and BM. Hope it all gets knocked down soon.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Thank you Mags. Smiley_emoticons_bussi
(12-11-2017, 06:25 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I've heard a few people here talking about the horses, my boss is one of them. I'm thinking "oh Jesus God, please shut up". She wants to give me a play by play and my heart is breaking for the animals and the people who have lost everything. Such a terrible year of devastation :(

: (
I think the worst way to die would be in a fire. They had bushfires in Victoria in the country a few years a go, and there were 200 people killed and there were a whole bunch of cars where they were on the road trying to escape but got caught in the a firestorm and it just showed all these horrible cars together just shells and all burnt out. The worst most terrifying way to die. The wildlife too suffers, because the flames move so fast, like koalas and other native animals, its scary and like hell on Earth.
California has definitely been put through the wringer over the last several months.

Droughts, fires, and now that we've finally gotten some much needed rain.........so far, 15 people have died and 24 more are missing in massive mudslides in Southern California.

[Image: 104938257-GettyImages-903128944.530x298....1515590775]

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/victi...3-52253716