Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
School & Public Stabbings
Murder or SYG Defense?

[Image: article-2662431-1EEC231400000578-812_634x454.jpg]
Murder suspect Noel Estevez - 14 (left) and victim Timothy Crump - 14 (right)

A 14-year-old boy has been charged in the stabbing death of another 14-year-old student right outside of school doors during a fight Wednesday afternoon.

Police said the victim, Timothy Crump, died after being stabbed several times with a kitchen knife in the stomach following the 3 p.m. middle school fight Wednesday.

According to authorities, Noel Estevez, of the Bronx, was arrested and charged as an adult with second-degree murder and manslaughter.

Investigators believe the victim may have robbed his assailant at some point in the past but stressed they're still investigating what caused the dispute outside of I.S. 117 Joseph H. Wade middle school.

Marisol Perez, a family friend of the stabbing suspect, told the station Estevez was acting in self defense and that Crump was one of a group of students that had been bullying the 14-year-old for months. "He hasn't been coming to school because he's been bullied," she said. "He tried to commit suicide two weeks ago. He was in the hospital for two weeks."

Neighbors also said some kids have come to the building where Estevez lives and called for him, warning him not to come outside, according to CBS New York. "Yesterday, just yesterday he said, 'I'm scared because they constantly, always threatening me,'" said neighbor Stephanie Arroyo. "He did it because he was scared. He say, 'If I don't do it, they're going to kill me.'"

However, those who knew the stabbing victim Crump told the station the boy was not a bully. "Timothy is not that type of person," said neighbor Tyrone Rivers. "He's not a trouble maker."

Some are criticizing school administrators for not doing enough to prevent this tragedy. Lazaro Batista, another neighbor of the suspect, told CBS New York: "People want to now look at it. You should have looked at it when [Estevez's] mother gave various reports to the [44th] Precinct, and various complaints to the school."

Refs:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teen-14...le-school/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...g-him.html
UC Merced

[Image: UC-Merced-SE2-37.jpg?1413296170]

Five people were injured by what's being called a deranged assailant who went on a stabbing spree at the University of California at Merced this morning.

Police shot and killed the knifeman and all of the victims were conscious when police arrived on the scene. Three were treated on campus and two were airlifted to a hospital for treatment.

No other details available yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/us/univers...stabbings/
We should make a law that makes it illegal to own knives. KNIVES ARE FOR KILLING!!! hahhahhah
Good one Gunnar.

Original, logical, and completely relevant to the story.

Now, I'm going to go slice an apple with my pistol.
(11-04-2015, 03:06 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: We should make a law that makes it illegal to own knives. KNIVES ARE FOR KILLING!!! hahhahhah

BG, I'd rather take my chances with a knife-wielding psycho than an MR-15 toting nut job.
(11-04-2015, 03:14 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Good one Gunnar.

I know it gave me a good chuckle.
(11-04-2015, 03:37 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 03:06 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: We should make a law that makes it illegal to own knives. KNIVES ARE FOR KILLING!!! hahhahhah

BG, I'd rather take my chances with a knife-wielding psycho than an MR-15 toting nut job.
That's illogical. Death by knife is a much slower and painful death. We should just make everything that is potentially deadly against the law and all of the senseless killing will stop and everyone will live happily ever after. The End. *queue rainbows, fluffy puppy dogs and unicorn ending*
(11-04-2015, 03:14 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Good one Gunnar.

You could shoot it into bite size pieces, but depending on the projectile you may end up with lead poisoning. You could always pistol whip a deer too if you were really hungry?
MS would have a much better chance of taking down a knife-wielding assailant coming at him than he would someone with a gun, Gunnar.

The person with a knife would have to get within arm's length of MS who would have a chance of fighting off the attacker. Someone approaching him with a gun could shoot him from a safe distance by just pulling the trigger, leaving MS (or any other human target) virtually no chance to fight back.

No one is denying that knives can be used as weapons to kill people, sometimes multiple people in a single incident. The only one denying that a person can take down more people in a public setting in the same amount of time with less effort using a semi-automatic gun than a knife is you. It defies common sense.
(11-04-2015, 05:19 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: MS would have a much better chance of taking down a knife-wielding assailant coming at him than he would someone with a gun, Gunnar.

The person with a knife would have to get within arm's length of MS who would have a chance of fighting off the attacker. Someone approaching him with a gun could shoot and kill him from a safe distance by just pulling the trigger, leaving MS (or any other human target) virtually no chance to fight back.

No one is denying that knives can be used as weapons to kill people, sometimes multiple people in a single incident. The only one denying that a person can take down more people in a public setting in the same amount of time with less effort using a semi-automatic gun than a knife is you. It defies common sense.
What defies common sense is thinking that making a law will make everyone safe. The fact that I can purchase a semi-automatic weapon doesn't make me a killer. It doesn't even mean that I will purchase one. Making it illegal to purchase one will have the same affect on public safety.

And I'm not so sure about MS's chances either way. I'd have to get to know him before I can make a judgement call on his ability to "take down" either.
^ None of the deflective crap you just posted makes your original posts any less silly.

You don't support gun control. We get it.

That doesn't change the fact that an able-bodied person has a better chance of fighting off someone within reach than he/she does fighting off someone with a loaded semi-automatic who's just out of reach and firing.
(11-04-2015, 05:37 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: ^ None of the deflective crap you just posted makes your original posts any less silly.

You don't support gun control. We get it.

That doesn't change the fact that an able-bodied person has a better chance of fighting off someone within reach than he/she does fighting off someone with a loaded semi-automatic who's just out of reach and firing.
Provided one even has the chance to fight someone off who is committed to a mass killing. Generally they go in and start killing. Element of surprise and all so I call bullshit on your "reasoning."
The only bullshit is yours Gunnar. I don't know why you keep slinging it.

I said the assailant is approaching or coming at their human target in my scenario, Gunnar -- the weapon-brandishing assailant is in sight of the intended victim. Go back and read.

Still, the element of surprise is always a huge advantage for the assailant, even against armed targets, regardless of the weapon used. If the attack is launched from behind against a completely unsuspecting target, it's a bleak scenario no matter the deadly weapon used. I've said that many times before; no argument there.
The UC Merced knifeman was a student of the university; he has not been identified yet and motive is reportedly unknown.

He was armed with a kitchen knife and attacked two students, a staff member, and a construction worker before campus police shot and killed him.

None of the four victims suffered life-threatening wounds, fortunately.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Susp...610569.php

(HOTD edit: the original story stated 5 victims; it's been corrected to 4.)
BG, I can tell you're really off your meds when you can't even acknowledge that killing someone while approaching them and they see you, is easier with a gun (and safer) than with a knife.
(11-04-2015, 09:16 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: BG, I can tell you're really off your meds when you can't even acknowledge that killing someone while approaching them and they see you, is easier with a gun (and safer) than with a knife.
So you want to talk to me about safety while you're killing someone and I'M the one who's off their meds? Gotcha MS. Great scenario guys. You really hit this one out of the park. hah
(11-04-2015, 09:16 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: BG, I can tell you're really off your meds when you can't even acknowledge that killing someone while approaching them and they see you, is easier with a gun (and safer) than with a knife.
Here's some more statistics from the guy who's off his meds. The FBI statistics show that knives have been used as a murder weapon far more often than rifles — even those evil “assault weapons” we hear so much about — for quite a while. In 2013, knives or other cutting instruments were used to kill 1,490 victims. In contrast, rifles were the cause of death of 285 murder victims. Shotguns were used in 308 murders. In 2009, the ratio was very similar: knives were used in five times as many murders as rifles. Those are real life numbers and statistics. Not made up "seems logical" scenarios.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr...a-table-11
Despite the statistics you posted, if I had to choose I'd rather have someone coming at me with a knife than a gun. I'd have a better chance at dodging a knife than bullets and that's the only point MS was trying to make. But I guess you'd choose the gun because statistically they are used as murder weapons more often.
I've ben both shot and cut and I fear being cut far worse than being shot.