Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
REEFER MADNESS - POT KILLS?
Since Colorado legalized recreational marijuana, two Denver deaths are being attributed (at least in the media and possibly by LE) to marijuana.

Having smoked and eaten marijuana many times, I find it hard to believe that the weed was a major contributing factor in the two deaths. Then again, I've never eaten 6-people's worth of pot in one sitting either and marijuana doesn't cause me paranoia or any bad effects.

Snip:
"The thing to realize is the THC that is present in edibles is a drug like any drug, and there's a spectrum of ways in which people respond," said Michael Kosnett, a medical toxicologist on the clinical faculty at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

He said a person's genetic makeup, health issues and other factors can make a difference, and first-time users might consume too much, unaware of how their bodies will react.

After voters approved recreational pot, Colorado lawmakers tasked regulators with setting potency-testing guidelines to ensure consumers know how much pot they're eating. Those guidelines are expected to be released next month.

Lawmakers also required edible pot to be sold in serving sizes of 10 milligrams of THC, marijuana's intoxicating chemical.

The cannabis industry tries to educate consumers about the potency of marijuana-infused foods. But despite the warnings - including waiting for up to an hour to feel any effects - complaints by visitors and first-time users have been rampant.

Ref:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-denver-d...juana-use/
Spring Break Death Attributed to Marijuana Consumption

[Image: student-dies-weed-cookies.png?w=540&h=350&crop=1]
Levy Thamba Pongi -19 ^ fell to his death last month from the 4th story balcony of a Holiday Inn in northeast Denver. He was a Wyoming college student visiting the Mile High City on spring break fell to his death after eating weed cookies, the Denver medical examiner’s office says.

Thamba and three friends were in Denver for spring break and one of them purchased some weed cookies from a legal supplier. After ingesting the cookies, one of friends got kind of sick, while the other two didn’t have any problems.

Thamba however became very agitated and upset and starting pulling items off the walls. His friends attempted to calm him down and were temporarily successful, but then Thamba jumped out of bed and went outside the hotel room. Thamba ran out onto the balcony and the lept over the railing to his death.

While the coroner’s office is calling his death an accident, the report released on Wednesday says a ‘significant condition’ during his death was ‘marijuana intoxication.’

One of his friends told investigators it may have been his first time using the drug - the only one toxicology tests found in his system. All three friends said they did not purchase or take any other drugs during their stay.

The marijuana concentration in Pongi's blood was 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood. Colorado law says juries can assume someone is driving while impaired if their blood contains more than 5 nanograms per milliliter.

In the days that followed the death of Pongi, Denver police confiscated the remaining cookies from the pot shop to test their levels of THC. The wrapper of the cookies bought by the students said each contained 65 mg of THC for 6 12 servings. Tests showed the cookies were within the required THC limits, police said.

Refs:
http://getwritegossip.com/2014/04/03/mar...d-cookies/

I think there's probably many people who have been waiting to hear something just like this so it can be used in their effort not to legalize weed in their area.

I can't help but think something else must have been a factor. I've been very, very high, downright stoned and I've never come close to feeling anything like what these 2 guys did and I've never heard of anything like this before either. Meh. I won't ever view weed as bad.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
[Image: article-0-1D22601800000578-642_636x382.jpg]

A Denver man, Richard Kirk, 47, is accused of killing his wife, Kristine Kirk, 44, on Monday while she was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. Police say he ate marijuana-infused candy and possibly took prescription pain medication before the attack, according to a search warrant affidavit released Thursday.

The affidavit states that Kristine Kirk told the dispatcher her husband had ingested marijuana candy and was hallucinating.

She pleaded with dispatchers to hurry and send officers because her husband had asked her to get a gun and shoot him. She said she was "scared of what he might do."

The 911 call lasted 13 minutes. Richard Kirk shot his wife dead, in front of their kids, while on the line with 911. The delayed response time is being investigated by the DPD.

Richard Kirk could be heard in the background of the 911 call talking about the candy he bought from a pot dispensary earlier that night, and surveillance footage from the shop captured the transaction, police said.

A detective who interviewed him after the killing noted that he appeared to be under the influence of controlled substances based on his speech and inability to focus, according to the warrants. Blood samples will be tested to see whether he was on any other drugs or medications.

Refs:
http://www.katenews2day.com/deadly-marij...like-this/
Been a very long time since I participated much in the pot life. When I did I knew a lot of people that smoked a Lot of pot. There were always 1 or 2 on the periphery that should Not be smoking anything, about the same ratio of people that turn mean or just do stupid shit when they get drunk.
I never had the urge to jump off a 4th floor balcony or cut my dick off, not that the damn thing didn't get me into plenty of trouble.
I was more the type to be wearing shades at 3am and eat an entire bag of doritos
(04-18-2014, 03:14 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: I was more the type to be wearing shades at 3am and eat an entire bag of doritos

That's me! hah
Marijuana does give me panic attacks and the high from smoking it and eating it are different. I made some brownies once and ate more than I should have thinking it wasn't going to do anything and 30 minutes later I was praying to come down off it. I break out in a sweat, I can hear my heart beating in my head, can't think straight and can't do anything but lie down and hope it goes away. I've never wanted to jump out of a building to my death or anything, but it does affect me a lot differently than most people. I don't like that high at all, if I'm going to do drugs I'd prefer cocaine.
(04-18-2014, 03:24 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 03:14 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: I was more the type to be wearing shades at 3am and eat an entire bag of doritos

That's me! hah

Me too.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

I don't think I fully understand just how high people can get from eating it because I've never been able to get off on it that way and I've tried plenty of times.
I've made stuff with it a few times and my husband always gets high from it. And he's an everyday smoker for the past 20 years that only buys the best weed, no rags. You have to heat the pot up to a certain temp, to low or too high will mess it up and you'll ruin it.
(04-18-2014, 03:33 PM)sally Wrote: You have to heat the pot up to a certain temp, to low or too high will mess it up and you'll ruin it.

That's what my friend M says. She makes butter & rice krispie treats as well as other things. She's got a cannabis cookbook for godssake. She's what my Mom would have called a hippie, right down to her tie-dye t's and smelling of patchouli.
Walmart is getting in on the action of course.

http://nationalreport.net/walmart-sell-m...ashington/
(04-18-2014, 03:40 PM)sally Wrote: Walmart is getting in on the action of course.

http://nationalreport.net/walmart-sell-m...ashington/

hah This is making me laugh out loud. It's crazy wild that Walmart is going to sell weed!

This September, the world’s largest retailer may also become America’s biggest drug dealer, after Walmart revealed on Monday their plans to begin selling marijuana in stores in both Colorado and Washington State, where recreational marijuana has been legalized.

Walmart hopes to begin selling recreational marijuana in their Colorado stores beginning in September, and in Washington State beginning in January. They plan to sell marijuana in varying amounts, as well as marijuana-laced baked goods and paraphernalia, including bongs, pipes, papers, and more.
Dude... Where'd you get these wicked fuckin nugs bro? Walmart. Aw-ha-ha-ha-hawsome bro.
I've only had one bad reaction from weed. That was 15 yrs ago and I still remember it vividly. The b/f had the same reaction so I'm pretty sure it was laced with something.

The cops were next door for some reason. We thought they were coming to get us. We locked all the doors, turned off the lights, shut the blinds and hid in the bedroom closet...hah

Meanwhile...how many people have died from ciggs, drinking or other drugs compared to the 2 deaths since it was made legal?
(04-18-2014, 04:26 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: The cops were next door for some reason. We thought they were coming to get us. We locked all the doors, turned off the lights, shut the blinds and hid in the bedroom closet...hah

(04-18-2014, 04:30 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 04:26 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: The cops were next door for some reason. We thought they were coming to get us. We locked all the doors, turned off the lights, shut the blinds and hid in the bedroom closet...hah

That IS funny. I can imagine you guys in the closet freaking out talking in a stage whisper. hah
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
How many alcohol related deaths in the same time period?
I don't know how many people died due to abuse of alcohol, cigarettes, and prescription pills in the same period. I'd guess way more than two.

I think we're probably gonna read about deaths attributed to people abusing legal marijuana for quite a while. That's okay with me -- it's good if some people who've never eaten pot read those stories and realize they need to check out the recommended intake before just scarfing edibles down, especially those who've never tried marijuana before.

But, IMO, the anti-marijuana crusaders are the ones who benefit the most from such stories as they lobby to keep other states from following in the footsteps of Colorado and Washington -- they'll make sure such stories hit the national news media as part of their agenda. I don't think it'll stop other states from legalizing marijuana, though it may motivate more regulation on the labeling.

It won't surprise me if the tox on the man who killed his wife ends up showing that he had high levels of drugs other than THC in his system, and/or he has a history of mental illness or violence. We'll see.
Pot Shop Removes Edibles from the Shelves

Snip:
A store in Denver where a man accused of murdering his wife bought marijuana-infused candy and a pre-rolled joint in the hours before he allegedly shot and killed her has removed edible marijuana products from its shelves, reports CBS Denver.

"For your protection and our protection we've just in the last five seconds decided to pull all the edibles," a store employee told the station.

When asked why, the employee responded, "People are indulging too much and causing issues for everybody."

Richard Kirk, 47, faces first-degree murder charges in the Monday, April 14 shooting death of his wife, 44-year-old Kristine Kirk.

Full story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pot-shop-pul...-shooting/