Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NICE AND HONEST -- GOOD SHIT
I enjoy reading stories about people who did something sincerely nice and/or honest, though I don't see them nearly often enough.

[Image: n-JOE-CORNELL-large570.jpg]
Joe Cornell, 52

Joe Cornell tells The Fresno Bee (http://bit.ly/1oSfYIr ) that he found a bag containing $125,000 in cash Tuesday after a Brinks truck pulled away from a red light in Fresno, California and left the sack behind.

"I started crying and shaking," Cornell said. "Everything was going through my mind — the good devil/bad devil thing. What to do?"

Thoughts of the imminent arrival of his fourth grandchild soon helped him decide.

"I thought, 'What would I want her to think of me?' That made up my mind right there," he said. "I got on my radio and called my boss. 'Hey, I found a bag of money.' "

Cornell, 52, is in a Salvation Army substance-abuse rehabilitation program. His duties for the organization include working on donated trailers.

"I went down there carrying the bag like I was Santa Claus," Cornell said.
Brinks spokesman Ed Cunningham said he isn't sure how the truck lost the money, and he called the incident a security issue.

The company will give Cornell a $5,000 reward and make a separate $5,000 donation to the Salvation Army.

I like Joe; seems he's been through some hard times and has his head on straight. How many people would keep the cash, honestly?
(05-31-2014, 04:37 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: How many people would keep the cash, honestly?

Hibye
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Nah.. I'd feel like I stole it. It'd hang over my head forever. Not worth it.
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
(05-31-2014, 05:01 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 04:37 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: How many people would keep the cash, honestly?
Hibye

I thought of you when I read Joe's account of his deliberations, "good devil/bad devil" whispering in different ears and pulling him in different directions.

I thought it was funny a few days ago when you described yourself as having those conflicting voices speaking to you frequently. That says to me that you have a fun and boundary-pushing nature, but also a well-developed conscience; a very attractive combination.

Now, I find out you're just a greedster who'd take other people's money without pause and probably spend it on lavish unnecessary luxury goods (and essentials, like weed).

I feel so gullible!!!! Awink

Those conflicting voices are with me every waking moment. It doesn't help that I like to shock people, like telling breastfeeding mothers to hide and do that shit.

I wouldn't take from an individual, it was the fact it was a Brinks security issue that swayed me.
(05-31-2014, 05:15 PM)Duchess Wrote: I wouldn't take from an individual, it was the fact it was a Brinks security issue that swayed me.

Nice rationalization, but it's still some person's or people's money that was being transported via that armored truck.

I don't know what I'd do.

I'm strongly inclined to think that I'd return it and hope that's true. However, I'd be really tempted to take some out and say the bag was open when I found it.

I hate that I'd be tempted to do that, but I would be and I hope that I'd stick with being totally honest even though I need the money and would eventually decide against pilfering any of it.

Happy to see Brinx is giving Joe a reward and the Salvation Army a donation. Good move.

I want that fuckin' money.

I wish y'all could hear my tone.

Too many variables. Broad daylight. Intersection. People. Cameras.

I already said I'd take it but I'd be running all these thoughts through my head and in that time someone else would come along and scoop it up.
28 That's probably normal. I'd bet (if I had some of that money for gambling purposes) that most people who'd turn it in would do so for fear of getting busted as much as outta honesty.

So, how many people would turn the money in if they knew the alley had no cams, they were all alone in that alley, they saw that the money wasn't marked, and they knew it wasn't a crime to keep what they'd found?

If the amount was significantly higher, perhaps more would take the money than not.

I love this song. It almost fits here -- so I'm tossing it in, no charge. Haha.

That's a great tune. One of those drinking in a farmer's field memories.
I would turn it in. It's the right thing to do.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

If I didn't like you I would find your goodness vomit inducing.
I'd take that shit. On the other hand if I found someone's wallet with a bunch of cash and an ID I'd return it. If it doesn't have a name on it though I'm keeping it.
(05-31-2014, 05:43 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: So, how many people would turn the money in if they knew the alley had no cams, they were all alone in that alley, they saw that the money wasn't marked, and they knew it wasn't a crime to keep what they'd found?

If the amount was significantly higher, perhaps more would take the money than not.

I'm still giving it back. It would bother me that it was some poor bastard that's on struggle street's money. Or the Brinks guy that lost it would lose his job or have to pay it back. The guilt wouldn't be worth it.

The thought of cameras didn't even enter my mind until they were mentioned.

Even if it was a more significant amount of money, no. Just more guilt. And more problems bought on by it.

I don't know, I guess if I had not a cent to my name, a sick kid or whatever then I'd be probably more than tempted. But not from where I am now.
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
I changed my mind, it would bother me that the Brinks guy might lose his job and I wouldn't feel comfortable spending it.

The Brinks guy has already lost his job.
I wouldn't know that picking up the bag.

I knew that. He didn't secure it. BAM! You're fired. Dramaqueen
Oh yeah, I would think the driver had a better chance of keeping his job longer (at least until inventory was completed and maybe longer if accounting was lax) if the money hadn't been returned right away.

You lose $125,000 dollars, your ass is grass (as it should be, IMO).

Ain't nobody or company gonna pay such a high price for employee incompetence.
Yeah, but what if it comes back on you in some way? I'm not really that superstitious, but ya never know. I don't think I'd feel comfortable now that I think about it more.