Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
WE DID BIZ WTH THE TALIBAN
Duchess Away
Administrator

RE: WE DID BIZ WTH THE TALIBAN

I don't think this kid was wrapped too tight in the first place. I say that because if he did desert where the hell did he think he was going to go. He's surrounded by enemy territory, he had nothing, he couldn't even speak the language. I do know that standards for joining the military were relaxed when they needed more bodies after those wars got going.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
06-02-2014 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

HoTD, I am surprised, because I didn't think service people were allowed to talk to the media. That rationale I can completely understand for security purposes.

06-02-2014 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

FAHQTOO Away
Crusty Crab Bitch

(06-02-2014 07:17 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 07:01 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote:  Fuck you and your quote bullshit. Is that really the best you got? Google the fucking story, Idiot. You will see his superiors have SAID he left of his own free will, without his weapon and went straight to the Taliban. Servicemen LOST their lives searching for him. What else do you want to know, Crazy Lady? Do your own fucking homework, Crazy Lazy.

Ouch, seems I touched a nerve. I don't know if you can believe anything regarding this story because it will be classified. I have not taken sides, I am asking valid questions, and all you are doing is attacking your Head of State.

You don't have any power to hit a nerve with me. You're just another idiot with a degree that has no common sense to be found anywhere.

Now...be gone. Crash is waiting for you on the Island with grapes and wine...and a fig leaf covering his wiener.

06-02-2014 07:29 PM

crash Offline
Mock Elder

(06-02-2014 07:29 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote:  Crash is waiting for you on the Island with grapes and wine...and a fig leaf covering his wiener.

You've been Smiley-rolling-joint today, haven't you? You're way off your game..

06-02-2014 07:36 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-02-2014 07:23 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  HoTD, I am surprised, because I didn't think service people were allowed to talk to the media. That rationale I can completely understand for security purposes.

Yeah, there are restrictions on what service people can share publicly, but they still have the right to freedom of speech when it comes to discussing non-classified or non-confidential experiences in the field, when it doesn't compromise national security.

Reportedly, members of his troop had been asked not to speak out about Bergdahl's actions and statements that led up to his capture. But, now that he's home and some are labeling him a "hero", some of those soldiers are choosing to speak out -- I don't think there's any national security risk or breach in doing so (though I imagine some US officials would rather they didn't).

Anyway, here's a snip from another article. Not all of it is verified, but it's consistent with what other soldiers have alluded to over the last couple of years in various statements and leaks that I've seen.

Snip:
Nathan Bethea, a former soldier who says he served in Bergdahl’s unit, recently wrote that he and his colleagues had been forced to stay quiet about the truth of Bergdahl’s case.

"And that the truth is: Bergdahl was a deserter, and soldiers from his own unit died trying to track him down," Bethea wrote in The Daily Beast Monday. “Bergdahl was relieved from guard duty, and instead of going to sleep, he fled the outpost on foot. He deserted. I’ve talked to members of Bergdahl’s platoon—including the last Americans to see him before his capture. I’ve reviewed the relevant documents. That’s what happened.”

“We were attacking the post, he was sitting taking expletive[.] He had no gun with him,” said a “traffic report” apparently capturing a conversation between two members of the Taliban.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/controvers...d=23961090

06-02-2014 07:36 PM

FAHQTOO Away
Crusty Crab Bitch

(06-02-2014 07:20 PM)Duchess Wrote:  

I don't think this kid was wrapped too tight in the first place. I say that because if he did desert where the hell did he think he was going to go. He's surrounded by enemy territory, he had nothing, he couldn't even speak the language. I do know that standards for joining the military were relaxed when they needed more bodies after those wars got going.

I don't think his dad is wrapped to tight either. He's trying to get all the prisoners released from Gitmo. Sounds like they're on the wrong side of the fence....we'll see.

06-02-2014 07:40 PM

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

HoTD, it's pretty damning and soldiers lives lost because of it, will be unforgivable to some if not most. Even one life is precious and important, so details are relevant, and I don't think that we will get or even be entitled to all the information. The thing is, if he wilfully defected they wouldn't release that information. How can they do a swap if he is voluntary? He might have been on a secret operation? We really don't know.

06-02-2014 08:07 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

^ I don't really understand your point, aussie.

Yes, it's damning to Bergdahl if he was running away or deserting when he was caught by the enemy and held prisoner. I agree.

It's also damning to Bergdahl if his incompetence and weakness led to the loss of other lives in attempts to rescue him. I agree.

We are already being informed about the details leading up to his capture by other soldiers who were witnesses. If you're suggesting that those soldiers are breaking some kind of oath or law by speaking about it when the POW in question has already been released, you need to explain that further for me -- lost me there.

As for learning more about the time he spent as a captive, as I said, I don't know how much can or will be released. That's entirely different from his time as a servicing sgt/soldier with his troop. I don't know what he went through in captivity and what the military officials will consider classified or confidential from his accounts during that period, if anything.

It's likely to me that we'll continue to learn more about his time in the field, leading up to his capture -- I've already posted two direct sources quoted in MSM for you -- sources who are giving their direct witness accounts to the public via the press. It already exists and it's out there.

If you're suggesting that the US government or military will refrain from confirming or denying his fellow soldiers' accounts, that may well be true. I don't know.

Will Bergdahl be allowed to release a book based on his POW experiences if he so desires? I don't know that for sure either.

06-02-2014 08:26 PM

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

What if it was made to look like he ran away and was really on a secret operation to infiltrate the enemy is my point? If he only now speaks their language then, surely he must have their mindset? Brainwashed? It's all very conflicted.

06-02-2014 08:55 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-02-2014 08:55 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  What if it was made to look like he ran away and was really on a secret operation to infiltrate the enemy is my point? If he only now speaks their language then, surely he must have their mindset? Brainwashed? It's all very conflicted.

I see.

Anything's possible, IMO.

He would have had to be deep under cover, known only at the very top ranks and expected to get some extremely crucial information, if it turns out that the military really did send a rescue operation after him and suffered several casualties in the process.

It would appear to me that he failed in his mission, if he was in fact a spy. We're moving out of Afghanistan and we've had direct access to Taliban POWs themselves for years on end.

It seems a very unlikely scenario. But, if that's what went down, I agree that it would likely never be admitted/confirmed by the US military for good reason.

06-02-2014 09:08 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Found and re-read the first article that I read about Bergdahl; it was written in June two years ago by Michael Hastings for Rolling Stone.

It's long, but very detailed and informative. Hastings interviews Bergdahl's parents, covers Bergdahl's Calvinistic homeschooling, includes the emails he sent home expressing his shame to be an American, provides the English translated text of Taliban soldiers (audio captured by US Intelligence) describing how they'd come upon the unarmed American soldier taking a shit (they have some fun with that), features statements from his fellow soldiers about Bergdahl leaving his base and the rescue missions they endured, references the negotiations for the POW exchange that were being handled by Qatar and the disagreements between McCain, Kerry and others in the administration on the matter, etc...

For anyone interested, still the most in-depth piece that I've read on the capture of Bergdahl and its implications to ending the war/conflict.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...r-20120607

06-02-2014 11:10 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I was interested and I read it.

This isn't the first time I've read of a soldier feeling like he'd been lied to before he signed on the dotted line and I believe there is probably some truth to that.

When you lower standards don't be surprised or disillusioned when you get shit, that's what happens when you deem shit acceptable.

I've always felt that Fox news was the suckiest news organization out there but now I'm certain they are the head cunt of all media. Where else would you find a news analyst who calls for an execution in order to save on attorney fees. I was incredulous when I read that. It's one thing for us to express our views regarding that but it's quite another when a member of the media does it. I didn't think I could think any less of that organization. I was wrong.

That kid had no business being in the military. None.

06-03-2014 06:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Duchess Away
Administrator

The military does not promote those who go AWOL/desert. Can anyone explain why this kid has been promoted twice during his captivity and is soon to be promoted again?

06-03-2014 06:28 AM

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

Regarding Fox News, it's bordering on criminal to incite that kind of hatred against someone. It's a lawless mentality of just killing someone without a trial or any kind of civilised justice. It makes them as monstrous as those they oppose.

06-03-2014 08:16 AM