Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
WE DID BIZ WTH THE TALIBAN
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: WE DID BIZ WTH THE TALIBAN

(06-03-2014 06:28 AM)Duchess Wrote:  The military does not promote those who go AWOL/desert. Can anyone explain why this kid has been promoted twice during his captivity and is soon to be promoted again?

Standard procedure. Bergdahl's status wasn't "Deserter or AWOL", it was "Missing/Captured" (he may well still be classified as in-service while he receives treatment, so he'd still be eligible for promotions and benefits increases).

Bergdahl walked off base and there's circumstantial evidence that seems to indicate that he was disillusioned and dissatisfied, based on interviews and statements from his fellow soldiers, statements from his parents, and Bergdahl's emails. But, whether he was deserting can only be positively confirmed by Bergdahl himself. He didn't leave a note before he walked off. He's the only one that can say whether he was going off for a long unauthorized walk, deserting and planning to carry out his survivalist dream, or had something else in his mind.

His unit was a mess -- that's not disputed.

The attempts to retrieve him once it was known that he was captured by the Taliban (via the video they released) were unsuccessful.

Bergdahl's status was changed from "Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown" or DUSTWUN to "Missing/Captured" after the first video surfaced. So, though the Pentagon apparently didn't categorize him as a POW because Afghanistan wasn't categorized as a "war", Bergdahl would be entitled to the same pay upgrades, benefits increases, and time-served based promotions as any other soldier (including those classified as POWs in previous wars/conflicts). He would be promoted again because he is still part of the US Army and probably still has a status of being in-service while he's getting treatment -- that's a guess.

Ref -- Army benefits/promotions entitlements for captives:
http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/B...l?serv=147
http://nation.time.com/2012/05/17/pentag...s-anymore/

06-03-2014 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

I stand corrected -- turns out Bergdahl may have left a note at his base before walking off

A senior defense official who spoke to ABC News on the condition of anonymity said a note that Bergdahl left at his post before he walked away could help tell the story. The note, the official said, showed Bergdahl’s disillusionment with the U.S. mission in Afghanistan and indicated that Bergdahl believed he knew a better way. The official speculates that Bergdahl was idealistic in the extreme and may have gone out on his own to solve problems with which the U.S. military struggled for years.

After finding the note, military investigators “concluded rather quickly that he had deserted,” a former senior defense official said.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/bowe-bergd...d=23975670

Today, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff released a statement reminding the public that Bergdahl is innocent until proven guilty and an investigation surrounding Bergdahl's capture will be undertaken.

President Obama addressed criticism about the release of 5 high level Taliban members who had been classified by US military officials as "high risk to the US" in exchange for Bergdahl. The President has gone on record as saying that if any of the Taliban go against their word and re-enter the fight, the US will not hesitate to go after them again. At present, the released Taliban leaders are staying in a luxury beachfront villa in Qatar and Qatar's leaders have agreed to monitor their movements.
Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/ba...07359.html

Very surreal situation.

06-03-2014 04:13 PM

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

My opinion about this changes knowing that this soldier deserted (if that in fact is verified).

Now I wish we wouldn't have made the deal.

06-03-2014 05:23 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-03-2014 05:23 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  My opinion about this changes knowing that this soldier deserted (if that in fact is verified).

Yeah, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth too, MS.

I'm glad Bergdahl is out of captivity, getting treatment, and will be reunited with his family, but don't like much else about this whole scenario.

In my mind, there's no doubt that Bergdahl enabled his own capture and there hasn't been for a couple of years. Personally, I don't sense that he was a traitor, but he did walk off because he was disgruntled.

It looks to me like he's a head-in-the-clouds kinda guy and very self-righteous; not able to deal with harsh realities easily or see anything other than as black or white. I also believe that he was under the impression that he was in Afghanistan in a sort of humanitarian capacity to help the Afghans rebuild and reclaim their communities from insurgents. That may well have been the pitch of army recruiters at the time and one that Bergdahl bought hook, line, and sinker.

Basically, based on everything that I've seen, this kid (who also had little experience in day to day living with differing personalities/opinions because he lived in a remote area and was home-schooled) was far from an ideal candidate for the army and a nightmare candidate for a combat situation. Under better circumstances, he should have been turned down by the US Army like he was by the French Foreign Legion. But, we needed bodies...

So...the way I'm looking at it is that we brought back someone who wasn't mentally or emotionally fit to handle a war/conflict. Could we really just leave him there because he was either a weakling, deranged, or an idiot and would that send a terrible message to future potential recruits and their families?

As far as who got the better end of the deal, it ain't the US -- not by a very long shot, IMO. Five head fighters/leaders/assets for the Taliban, and Bergdahl the liability for the US.

The current Afghan regime is fit to be tied about the release of the Taliban POWs and the fact that they weren't consulted at all (Obama says he feared leaks). Can't say that I blame them...

06-03-2014 06:15 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I was watching the news last night & someone remarked that his Dad looked like part of the Taliban. 113

Sometimes it's horrifying to laugh at the most inappropriate things.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
06-03-2014 06:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(06-03-2014 05:23 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  My opinion about this changes knowing that this soldier deserted (if that in fact is verified).

I have a feeling this is going to end up much deeper than just his desertion.

06-03-2014 06:28 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-03-2014 06:21 PM)Duchess Wrote:  I was watching the news last night & someone remarked that his Dad looked like part of the Taliban. 113

Sometimes it's horrifying to laugh at the most inappropriate things.

Hey, we gotta laugh at horrible things sometimes; for sanity's sake.

Mr. Bergdahl does look like Taliban in style, though. That was his goal.

He had been communicating electronically with people allegedly associated with his son's captors and others in Pakistan (where his son was transferred after being captured in Afghanistan) for the last couple of years. He learned some of their language, adopted their styles, sympathized with them about their plight, etc...

Maybe because he just wanted to keep his son alive. Maybe because he does feel a deep connection. Maybe some of both?

Here's one of his video addresses to Pakistan and to his son from a couple of years back.

06-03-2014 06:34 PM

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

I was watching Fox News last night thanks to Duchess, and they are really hammering the poor guy. There is no way the swap could have been justified according to Fox. It's really sinister how they ask the questions and the blonde host always snide and deliberate in her agenda, and the right wing guest eager and willing to oblige. Horrible blatant bias.

06-03-2014 07:31 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I'd like to force them all to go live in the ghetto & have a black Santa.

06-03-2014 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

Just as long as he doesn't put crystal meth in my Christmas stocking I would be fine with that! ha.

06-03-2014 08:35 PM

blueberryhill Offline
Mocker

CNN reporting that some anchor (didn't catch name) at Fox News said that Bowe's dad did look like a member of the Taliban. (although he had liked beards on stars of Duck Dynasty).. I think Bowe is suffering from a mental breakdown and the Taliban wanted to get rid of him. I have no respect for Fox News; they lack credibility and too many crazies believe everything they say.
If we are bringing troops home by 2016 and phasing out the prison for detainees, we have to start thinking about what to do with these guys. We don't want to keep them so they are going to have to go home anyway and they probably will continue to rebel against their Gov't but they had nothing to do with 911 and it is Al-Qaeda who want to kill us all. At any rate, Fox News is now equating wearing a beard to being a terrorist (this according to CNN).

06-04-2014 01:02 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(06-04-2014 01:02 AM)blueberryhill Wrote:  Fox News is now equating wearing a beard to being a terrorist

Jesus Christ

06-04-2014 06:39 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Handover of Bowe Bergdahl -

06-04-2014 07:34 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-04-2014 01:02 AM)blueberryhill Wrote:  If we are bringing troops home by 2016 and phasing out the prison for detainees, we have to start thinking about what to do with these guys. We don't want to keep them so they are going to have to go home anyway and they probably will continue to rebel against their Gov't but they had nothing to do with 911 and it is Al-Qaeda who want to kill us all.

Exactly. Those Taliban POWs would need to be transferred somewhere soon anyway with the official end of the "conflict" approaching and the planned closure of Gitmo. I think if the US would have been able to successfully prosecute them for any legitimate crimes, we'd have done so in the 12 years that we had them in our custody.

Plus, Obama reportedly wants to proceed with peace talks between the US, the Taliban and Afghanistan. The last two attempts didn't progress too far and the Taliban detainees/POWs were one of the major sticking points. Enter Qatar.

Anyway, we took those five key Taliban figures outta the mix for over a decade to increase our chances of success in Afghanistan. The Taliban kept what appears to me to be a mixed-up low-ranking kid from Idaho captive. The "conflict" couldn't be officially ended without addressing those POWs from both sides.

(06-04-2014 01:02 AM)blueberryhill Wrote:  At any rate, Fox News is now equating wearing a beard to being a terrorist (this according to CNN).

Craziness. I associate with several terrorists, according to Fox News.

I'd like to see a news source dive a little more into Mr. Bergdahl's motives in modifying his appearance and language to be more similar to that of his son's captors. Guessing he wanted the captors to identify more with him so they'd be more inclined to consider his pleas; perhaps that was effective?. Anyway, I think there's an interesting possible back-story beyond the beard -- maybe later it'll be covered.

06-04-2014 08:54 AM