Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Brewers thread
If you brew your own, lets talk about it here.
Ahhh, what a refreshing topic.
Think I'll brew a batch of my Deadly Dunkle this weekend.
(06-04-2014, 12:00 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Ahhh, what a refreshing topic.
Think I'll brew a batch of my Deadly Dunkle this weekend.
I think my next batch will be a chocolate porter. Might throw a little espresso in it as well as the lb of chocolate.Cheers
I have a clone somewhere for Flying Dog Gonzo if you're interested..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
I like beer with a nutty aftertaste. Kona brewing company had a coconut one I liked, but I can't find it anymore. You could only taste a hint of coconut on your pallet for about a second after swallowing it. I like Harp too which is nutty, but only on draft. It doesn't taste the same in the bottle for some reason.
(06-04-2014, 05:07 PM)sally Wrote: I like beer with a nutty aftertaste. Kona brewing company had a coconut one I liked, but I can't find it anymore. You could only taste a hint of coconut on your pallet for about a second after swallowing it.

Coconut beer?

I'm surprised you haven't tried washing your hair with it.
(06-04-2014, 05:00 PM)crash Wrote: I have a clone somewhere for Flying Dog Gonzo if you're interested..
Sure man. I'll PM my email addy.
(06-04-2014, 05:08 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(06-04-2014, 05:07 PM)sally Wrote: I like beer with a nutty aftertaste. Kona brewing company had a coconut one I liked, but I can't find it anymore. You could only taste a hint of coconut on your pallet for about a second after swallowing it.

Coconut beer?

If you can find one you should try it. It's not sweet and it's only a hint of coconut.
(06-04-2014, 05:20 PM)sally Wrote:

Coconut beer?

If you can find one you should try it. It's not sweet and it's only a hint of coconut.

Maybe I'll try it if i find it.

Ever had Leinenkugel's HoneyWeiss?

Pretty good.
I did a coconut beer for a brewers challenge last year. It was tough to do. Its a delicate flavor so you need to use a light flavored beer. I used a Dunkel base and made a variant with the addition of some chocolate. Both were very good, but the guy that won the thing used a light Ale, it was very nice. I got 3rd and 4th in the Coconut Cup Challenge.
Might be a good one to do a full batch on though
(06-04-2014, 05:54 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(06-04-2014, 05:20 PM)sally Wrote:

Coconut beer?

Maybe I'll try it if i find it.

Ever had Leinenkugel's HoneyWeiss?

Pretty good.

I haven't tried the HoneyWeiss, but I like their lemon shandy.
Decided to second stage for one more week. It's clearing fine, but there's SO much hops in the dry hop that I want to give it a little more time to let the flavors marry. Smells spot on to an Odell's though.
I did a Pliny clone once that had a huge amount of dry hop. It was great fresh, but after a few weeks, all that dry hop started lending a bit of a vegetal taste.

Now I just tend to run big IPAs that I want a lot of fresh hop taste and aroma in through a Randall full of flowers.
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
(06-10-2014, 08:53 AM)crash Wrote: I did a Pliny clone once that had a huge amount of dry hop. It was great fresh, but after a few weeks, all that dry hop started lending a bit of a vegetal taste.

Now I just tend to run big IPAs that I want a lot of fresh hop taste and aroma in through a Randall full of flowers.
I dry hop in a grain sack because I still bottle and the hops often clogged my bottling wand. I still get the same flavor without my bottling area floor becoming sticky like the seedy metal clubs I frequent hah
(06-10-2014, 11:11 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(06-10-2014, 08:53 AM)crash Wrote: I did a Pliny clone once that had a huge amount of dry hop. It was great fresh, but after a few weeks, all that dry hop started lending a bit of a vegetal taste.

I dry hop in a grain sack because I still bottle and the hops often clogged my bottling wand. I still get the same flavor without my bottling area floor becoming sticky like the seedy metal clubs I frequent hah

Fuck that bottling shit. I have a four tap glycol cooled font on a chest freezer. I have an adaptor that lets me put the randall in line before the tap. I just tunscrew the housing off the randall and put the flowers in before a session and remove them straight after. It adds an awesome fresh aroma and flavour but avoids them getting stale and that vegetal, fresh mown grass flavour.

I did a flanders red ale once with a randall full of sour cherries. That 20L keg was drained before the ribs even got out of the smoker that particular afternoon.
Think I'll make another batch of this tasty one this weekend

Pirat Dan's Deadly Dunkel
7 lbs Wheat Extract
1 lb American Caramel
4 oz Belgian Special B
1 lb Dark Candy Sugar
1.5 oz Fuggle @60
.5 oz Fuggle @ 15
Wyeast 3068

Extras at Bottling
750Ml Malibu Beach Banana Rum
2 cups Appleton Estates Rum
Prime 5 oz Priming Sugar
5 Gallon batch
OG 1.056
FG 1.004

Here is my label
[Image: DeadlyDunkel1.jpg]
Ingredients in hand, its on now...
Well, I bottled the Odell's clone last Saturday. Figured I'd try one last night just to see if it's everything I want it to be. I've truely outdone myself.

@Crash: I'm seriously considering switching over to kegging soon. I just want to find a cheap fridge/freezer and figure out where to put it and then it's on like donkey kong.
(06-10-2014, 09:11 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Think I'll make another batch of this tasty one this weekend

Pirat Dan's Deadly Dunkel
7 lbs Wheat Extract
1 lb American Caramel
4 oz Belgian Special B
1 lb Dark Candy Sugar
1.5 oz Fuggle @60
.5 oz Fuggle @ 15
Wyeast 3068

Extras at Bottling
750Ml Malibu Beach Banana Rum
2 cups Appleton Estates Rum
Prime 5 oz Priming Sugar
5 Gallon batch
OG 1.056
FG 1.004

Here is my label
[Image: DeadlyDunkel1.jpg]
That looks like a deadly batch there my friend.
Way Tasty