Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
COOPER HARRIS, 2, DIES IN HOT CAR: JUSTIN HARRIS CHARGED WITH MURDER
(06-21-2014, 01:38 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Wonder if the Home Depot Daycare center called dad to inquire about Cooper when he wasn't dropped off,

That was my first thought when I read the story.

Every daycare that I have ever dealt with has had a policy about absenteeism, even the bigger child care centers. If you don't call the child out, they will call you.

They had a decent article in 'Parents' Magazine about this topic a few years back. It had compared 2 incidents, one where the parent was charged with a crime and one that was not. I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find it.
(06-21-2014, 06:50 PM)cannongal Wrote: It had compared 2 incidents, one where the parent was charged with a crime and one that was not.

That sounds similar to this case given a man who worked for the FOP left his kid to die in a car only recently in the same general area. I really want to know why he wasn't charged but this guy was.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I don't know how a parent could "forget" their kid is in the car. I remember when mine were with me I always knew they were there, (whether talking to them, or having to turn down the radio cause they were sleeping) it was a no brainer! WTF?

(Same thing when I used to bring my dog with me in the car, would never think of leaving him in there, not on a hot day & or even a really cold day)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(06-22-2014, 06:03 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 06:50 PM)cannongal Wrote: It had compared 2 incidents, one where the parent was charged with a crime and one that was not.
That sounds similar to this case given a man who worked for the FOP left his kid to die in a car only recently in the same general area. I really want to know why he wasn't charged but this guy was.

I'm curious about why Harris is being charged with felony murder and cruelty to a child, but don't think police are gonna reveal their hand publicly at this point (nor should they). It's not unusual for a parent to quickly be charged with neglect in such cases, or not to be charged at all if it was clearly an accident and authorities see no reason to pursue charges. For the FOP guy, his connections may have helped him fall in the latter camp.

But, a murder charge like the one against Justin Harris in such a case is highly unusual. IMO, police quickly turned up good reason to suspect that Cooper Harris was not forgotten about in the car all day -- either through their interviews with the mom, holes in the dad's time line, evidence that dad was informed/aware that the boy was in the car and chose to leave him there, surveillance video contradicting dad's statements, disturbing computer content in dad's office, evidence that the child may have been sedated/drugged, the dad's own inconsistent statements, etc.. The list goes on.

Lots of possible reasons why police might suspect that Harris knew the kid was in the car and didn't act appropriately, thereby leading to Cooper's death -- OR that he intentionally wanted to get rid of his child and staged his public meltdown at seemingly discovering his son dead.

Police can only charge a person with felony murder (doesn't technically require intent) if the death occurred while the suspect was in commission of another crime -- in this case, the first degree charge of cruelty (willfully depriving the child of necessary sustenance to the extent that the child's health or well-being is jeopardized).

Anyway, I hope it turns out that Justin Harris really did forget his son and the charges get reduced or dropped -- hate to think of yet another parent murdering their own child. But, I won't be surprised if that's not what happens here and Justin Harris is not what he appears to be.

That poor child must have sobbed & sobbed in the heat of that car.
(06-22-2014, 11:07 AM)Duchess Wrote:
That poor child must have sobbed & sobbed in the heat of that car.
thanks, I was dangerously close to having a good day till I read this.

Appreciate you keepin me at neutral.

It made me feel bad too :(
Now the news is reporting that the father knew earlier in the day his son was in the vehicle. The police have evidence of this. They were looking over his SUV again today. One of the witnesses said the father was distraught and crying what have I done what gave I done? Then he would be calm and then start up with the dramatics again. She said at the time she didn't know if he was sincere or not.

I knew there was something fishy going on here.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Found This blurb, seems the dad went out to the car during his lunch break.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/national/..._partners1

COBB COUNTY, Ga. —

A new warrant outlines details in the charges against a Georgia father accused of leaving his child in a hot car.

A new warrant was filed Wednesday, changing his charges from first- to second-degree child cruelty. He is also charged with murder.

According to the warrant, Justin Ross Harris placed his 22-month-old son, Cooper, in a rear-facing car seat after they ate at a Chick-Fil-A near his office the morning of June 19. Harris then drove the short distance to his office, the warrant said.

The warrant also says Harris was seen going out to his car and opening the driver's door to place something in his car at lunch.
Yeah, I don't think Cooper was "forgotten" in the car.

Looks to me like LE has evidence indicating that dad knew his son was in the car all day, but that LE doesn't believe (or doesn't have evidence indicating) that Justin Harris willfully killed his son, at this time -- so they lowered the cruelty charge.

If ^ that's a correct assumption, I'm curious as to why dad didn't just drop Cooper off at daycare, as planned. Did he have a dispute with someone at the daycare center? Too lazy to drive the 2 miles out of his way? WTF?

Even if Justin Harris didn't realize what 7 hours in enclosed heat would do to his son, why would he choose to leave his two-year-old alone, unsupervised and strapped in a car when he clearly had alternatives? What ever his reasons, there's no way around it being cruel, IMO.

I'm trying to get this verified by a credible source - I just read that the father researched (on his work computer) how long it would take for an animal to die in a hot car.
Of course he willfully left his son in the car. He knew he was there and didn't take him out. How is that not willfully leaving him?
(06-26-2014, 07:13 AM)ramseycat Wrote: Of course he willfully left his son in the car. He knew he was there and didn't take him out. How is that not willfully leaving him?

The charge was essentially downgraded from one of "willful" or "mailicious" cruelty to one of cruelty via "gross negligence".

That means police don't have what they consider proof, at this time, that Justin Harris intended to inflict harm upon his son by leaving him in the car all day. But, whether he intended to inflict harm or not, it was grossly negligent and cruel to leave that baby in the car for all of those hours.

Justin Harris' initial crime (be it willful cruelty or instead neglectful cruelty) led to his son's death, so the first degree murder charge is supported either way.

The Medical Examiner has ruled that Cooper Harris died from hyperthermia, or elevated body temperature. (I don't know if they have tox results yet, for sedatives and such.)

There are those who still believe that Justin Harris forgot that his son was in the car, despite the fact that he moved Cooper to the back seat after the two had breakfast out together (they believe Justin really forgot about his son after that and then didn't see his son when he went to the car at lunchtime because Cooper was facing backward and Justin wasn't looking for him).

Here's a good update on the investigation and the charges:

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/253...ght_column

Last night I was listening to an attorney, one I've seen frequently who is brought in to argue an opposing view, she addressed this case and talked about the time her & her husband had done the same thing, they had been doing something together as a family and they stopped at Home Depot and after being there for several minutes her husband approached her said something to the effect of, "we've left "daughter" in the car." All these years later she is still horrified that they had done that, she's a respected, conscientious person and yet this still happened.

I no longer know what to think because there are so many differing stories out there.
I'm not buying the excuse EVER, of 'I simply forgot about my kid'.

However, I do concede that there are many, many stupid people in this country.

I've had 3 go through car seats now, and I've never once 'forgotten' they were with me.

I think the dad in this particular case wanted his son dead, and thought this would be the cleanest way to do it. I mean, people forget about their children all the time, right?

I guess morons do.

I don't think it's regulated to just stupid people doing it. I think that shit genuinely just happens. I'm not saying that's the case in this instance, I'm just saying that I believe shit happens.
Sorry, not buying it. His neighbors said he was frequently seen leaving with his son in the mornings. Meaning he brought him to daycare enough to remember him. Plus, he didn't go pick him up after work. AND, you can't tell me he didn't talk to his wife or even think about his son one time all day. I'm sure he has pics on his desk of Cooper. He didn't look at that picture and think about him? I know that Vhole and I would talk about the kids during the day. He'd call me and we'd discuss plans for the day or who was picking up or whatever. Whenever I would glance up and see the pics of my boys on my desk I would think about them. Something funny they said in the car that morning. Or perhaps what they were doing in school that day. Or with my mom. Point is, I thought about my kids a million times a day. Parents don't forget about their kids.

I am just not buying that he forgot about Cooper. ESPECIALLY since they just had breakfast together not 10 minutes or less from when the dad got to work.
(06-26-2014, 05:53 AM)Duchess Wrote: I'm trying to get this verified by a credible source - I just read that the father researched (on his work computer) how long it would take for an animal to die in a hot car.

CNN is today running a headline story with this same claim. The source is unnamed and said to be someone close to the investigation.

The article says that it's not clear when the search was done or whether Justin Harris did the searching. LE's keeping mum.

http://us.cnn.com/?hpt=ed_US

I'm surprised about how many people are criticizing LE for charging this guy and are signing petitions for LE to let him go because "he has suffered enough". How the hell do they know? I swear, people seem to be growing more and more presumptuous on the whole, and less and less discerning -- in my eyes.

Anyway, Cooper Harris is the victim here; even if it turns out that dad simply forgot about him all day. Justin Harris caused his son's death. If he's not guilty of intentionally leaving Cooper in that car or killing him, he can grieve in a cell while police investigate because that's part of what police do in some cases -- try to stop people from literally getting away with murder. LE has probable cause to charge and hold Justin Harris, based on what was outlined in the warrant (and they've probably more than that, IMO).

This is about Cooper Harris being treated unfairly and dying as a result. I don't see Justin Harris as anybody's victim.
(06-27-2014, 10:06 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: CNN is today running a headline story with this same claim.

I'm glad they are reporting that. I first read it on the Daily Mail site and I can't trust that they only print facts.
Not to mention he had breakfast with his son and went to his car at lunchtime. He knew that kid was in the car the whole time.

Out local news said the petitions to release him were shut down and donations have slowed way down.