Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
And the number 1 reason to NOT fall asleep in public is..
The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox rivalry is one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in sports, but that didn't stop one fan from falling asleep during the action.

[Image: 2ex7c6w.jpg]

A disgruntled Yankees fan has filed a $10 million lawsuit against ESPN commentators Dan Shulman and John Kruk claiming they made fun of him when he nodded off during a game at Yankee Stadium.

Andrew Robert Rector had a rude awakening when he realized that his nap time during the fourth inning of the Yankees-Red Sox game April 13 had been caught on camera and sparked comments from Sunday Night Baseball's Shulman and Kruk.

VIDEO

Rector, 26, filed a $10 million defamation lawsuit against ESPN, Major League Baseball Advanced Media, Shulman and Kruk, claiming the analysts unleashed an "avalanche of disparaging words" against him that included "stupor, fatty, unintelligent, stupid."

The pair, who often make fun of each other live on air especially when it comes to food, had made some lighthearted comments about Rector sleeping: "This is not the place you come to sleep. How comfortable is that? Probably won't have any neck problems tomorrow," joked Kruk.

Shulman went on to wonder if the man next to him was his friend, to which Kruk responded, "maybe that's his buddy and he likes him a lot better when he's asleep."

"I think the other guy is more concerned with his food," added Shulman, in regard to the neighbor, who was digging into a plate of fried chicken.

"We'll have to see how long this guy is out for. Did he sleep through the [Carlos] Beltran homer? I mean, 45,000 people stand up and cheer and he sleeps through it?" he asked.

The typo-ridden lawsuit filed by Rector's attorney at the Supreme Court of New York goes on to state that negative comments were made online about Rector by visitors to a YouTube video that was posted by the MLB, and he is blaming the league and the network for the Internet attacks. The complaint claims that these defamatory comments were sparked by Shulman and Kruk.

"The comments attributed to ESPN and our announcers were clearly not said in our telecast. The claims presented here are wholly without merit," a spokesperson for ESPN said in an email statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
- See more at: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ya...KWsXd.dpuf
Very interesting.

A part of me wants to dismiss this quickly, however, there might be some validity to his suit.

He's at the park, with a ticket, if he decides to take a snooze it shouldn't be anybody else's business.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.
What a pussy.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
A public park for a televised game; I don't think his suit will get very far.

I could see someone with a great sense of humor turning the exposure into an opportunity and having fun with it. Or, someone with common sense just letting it die down.

He got mocked publicly; he doesn't deserve monetary compensation (much less $10 million) for butthurt. IMO.
The 4th inning hah, maybe it lasted forever, with them all hitting foul balls after foul balls. The inning never ends. hah
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

He's a dumb ass.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I'm not saying he should get $10 Million (or anything monetary) unless he's lost wages because of this (fired, demotion?).

I personally think Dan Schulman is one of the best in the business (along with Giants play-by-play guy Jon Miller), but at some point there's a line that gets crossed when publicly commenting about someone.

This guy's probably already a loser so he just feels like the bullying continues.

His actions in a public arena brought this about. He's owed nothing.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(07-08-2014, 02:37 PM)Duchess Wrote:

So let's say you're at some event that's being televised, and you spill mustard from your hotdog all over your clothes. A camera catches it and the announcers start making fun of you. That clip makes it to YouTube and thousands of belittling comments roll in.

People you know are even chiming in, etc.

In your estimation, 'no harm, no foul'. You simply 'deserve' everything your getting because it was in public?

I would be laughing my ass off. Are you kiddin' me. I'd send the link to anyone who hadn't seen it yet. Not kidding. I once slipped in heels going into a black tie event and landed on my ass in a puddle of rain/ice mix, that's why I slipped. He thought I was crying because I sat there with my head buried in my arms. I was laughing the silent laugh, no air to breathe. It was funny to me and the perfect excuse to get out of a dull evening. I don't take myself seriously, MS. It's life, you don't get a do over.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm also not saying that I would file a lawsuit, but I kind of get how the guy has come to this conclusion.

Immsure he won't 'win' anything. If he gets a public apology he's victorious.
Shit happens MS. We have all been in an embarassing situation. You can either be an asshole about it or laugh at yourself and move on.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(07-08-2014, 03:07 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Shit happens MS. We have all been in an embarassing situation. You can either be an asshole about it or laugh at yourself and move on.

I'm a self-laugher not a self-loather, you should know that.

I'm just seeing this guys point, that's all.
I can see the guys point too. If I'm going to be made a laughing- stock live on air without any consent I'm going to try to get a cut out of it too. 10 million is a bit steep, but you got start out with the high numbers.
(07-08-2014, 03:47 PM)sally Wrote: I can see the guys point too. If I'm going to be made a laughing- stock live on air without any consent I'm going to try to get a cut out of it too. 10 million is a bit steep, but you got start out with the high numbers.

Yep.

Settling for $50K sounds pretty good.
If someone is making money at my expense you're damn right I'd sue. Fuck that.
(07-08-2014, 02:41 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(07-08-2014, 02:37 PM)Duchess Wrote:

So let's say you're at some event that's being televised, and you spill mustard from your hotdog all over your clothes. A camera catches it and the announcers start making fun of you. That clip makes it to YouTube and thousands of belittling comments roll in.

People you know are even chiming in, etc.

In your estimation, 'no harm, no foul'. You simply 'deserve' everything your getting because it was in public?

Yes.........If I slip on ice at a skating rink or pond and someone records it then puts it on u-tube and people make fun of me its just the way it is. This asshole is pissed because he is getting dissed for falling asleep, what is he a Crip and gets no respect? To fucking bad fatboy. If he gets anything it might be a Letterman shot or a Fallon or a Kimmel then maybe make a fat rap song or something, his moment of fame is fleeting. He is a Pussy.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Another good-for-nothing looking to get something-for-nothing.
(07-08-2014, 02:28 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: This guy's probably already a loser so he just feels like the bullying continues.

He was probably married and his wife found naked pictures of a strange woman on his phone.
(07-08-2014, 05:06 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote:
(07-08-2014, 02:28 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: This guy's probably already a loser so he just feels like the bullying continues.

He was probably married and his wife found naked pictures of a strange woman on his phone.

That would be a bummer.