Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
crock pot recipes
Let's start with meatball marinara.

1 lb. of hot Italian sausage (I use the stuff that's not in a casing but either will work if you just squeeze the meat out of the casing).1 lb. of HB or any ground meat really. I tried turkey recently and it was awesome.
12 cup of bread crumbs (I use the cheapo italian seasoned store brand)
2 eggs
1 TBSP ea. of onion and garlic powder
20 turns of fresh ground pepper
14 cup of finely diced Italian Parsely
1 can of tomato paste
14 cup of fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3-4 large garlic cloves
Fresh or dried oregano (2 TBSP)
Fresh or dried basil (2 TBSP)
1 large white onion
1-2 bell peppers (depending on size) Red, green, yellow, purple, whatever color pepper floats your boat.
2 large cans of San Marzano tomatoes
2 small zuchini or summer squash (optional)
Pasta of your choice (I prefer Angel Hair)

Combine ground meats, eggs, garlic and onion pwder, pepper, bread crumbs, parsely, and cheese. Mix thoroughly with your hands until everything is combined and evenly dispersed. Roll your meatballs and put them in the crockpot. Set the crockpot on low and then cut and add the peppers, garlic cloves and onion. Then add your spices. Run the Marzano's through the food processor untill it's "saucey" and dump it over everything else. Switch the heat to high, put the lid on it and let it cook 6-8 hours. Stir and add the tomato paste and cook on low for another hour (this would be a good time to add zuchini or summer squash if you want to). Cook your pasta, top with fresh grated cheese and eat that shit. Menage Amedigon, mange!
Also, if you're using fresh herbs you can beef it up to 14 cup vs. TBSP's

I never knew I didn't have to cook the meatballs before I add them to the crock pot. I make them frequently throughout football season.

I use my crock pot more than I do my range & just as soon as I start seeing big baskets of apples at the Amish market I'm going to try and make apple crisp in the crock.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(09-26-2014, 03:34 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I never knew I didn't have to cook the meatballs before I add them to the crock pot. I make them frequently throughout football season.

I use my crock pot more than I do my range & just as soon as I start seeing big baskets of apples at the Amish market I'm going to try and make apple crisp in the crock.
Mamma Aducci (pronounced DOO-CHY) never cooked hers before adding them to the pot with her famous "gravy" so I don't either. It keeps those delicious flavors in the sauce where they belong. This is her recipe BTW (straight from South Philly), handed down by her mother and her mother's mother from the "old country" adapted for todays groceries and a crockpot because who has time these days for all that, preparation, stirring and lowering and raising of heat throughout the day?
I always put the meatballs in raw, it's a waste of time to cook them first and you lose the flavor. Unless you're using cheap hamburger that's going to seep a lot of grease into the sauce there is no need to cook them first.

I've been doing a healthier version with ground turkey or chicken. I run a big handful of spinach through the food processor with 1 carrot, several garlic cloves, parsley, parm cheese, 1 egg, a couple of slices of whatever bread I have on hand and some pepper, seasoning salt and pepper flakes. Then I add the ground chicken or turkey to the mixture. They have a green hue from the spinach, but the sauce covers that up and my kids actually like them better than traditional meatballs.
(09-26-2014, 04:28 PM)sally Wrote: I always put the meatballs in raw, it's a waste of time to cook them first and you lose the flavor. Unless you're using cheap hamburger that's going to seep a lot of grease into the sauce there is no need to cook them first.

I've been doing a healthier version with ground turkey or chicken. I run a big handful of spinach through the food processor with 1 carrot, several garlic cloves, parsley, parm cheese, 1 egg, a couple of slices of whatever bread I have on hand and some pepper, seasoning salt and pepper flakes. Then I add the ground chicken or turkey to the mixture. They have a green hue from the spinach, but the sauce covers that up and my kids actually like them better than traditional meatballs.
I tried ground turkey for the first time on Monday and I was surprized at how good it was. Couldn't tell the difference really.
Short ribs...my way

Use about as many short ribs that will fit in your crock pot. Mine holds 3-4 pounds. I break them apart if they are meaty. I add a bottle and a half of barbeque sauce (my favorite of the moment is Sweet Baby Ray's). I add about 34 cup of liquid. Beer works well. hah
Cook on low 8-10 hours. I switch to warm after about 9 hours. Ribs come out pretty damn close to fork tender. As there are just two of us, I have a lot left over. This last time, for something different, I took all the left over meat off the bones, and cut it down to a pulled pork consistency, some of it came out a little cubed up. Then I froze it. Put the remaining liquid from cooking into a container, froze that too. Last weekend I used the pork, and sauce , added tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and chili seasoning and made a big old batch of pork chili. YUM. Ate a lot of chili, froze a batch. Got two meals from ribs, and a bunch more from chili.

Has anyone ever made lasagna in the crock?
(09-29-2014, 09:32 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Has anyone ever made lasagna in the crock?
I tried it. Didn't care for it.
Aw I've been meaning to try lasagna in the crock pot :(
Making lasagna in a crock pot is retarded.
Making pot lasagna in a retard's crock however is perfectly acceptable.

I hate to cook any goddamn thing, absolutely loathe it. Time consuming bullshit that one has to pay attention to or run the risk of ruining it. So many other things I'd rather be doing. I'd even tolerate dishtowels hanging off my range if someone were to cook for me.
The Professor makes this thing called "magic taste yucky chicken" in the crockpot, my son named it that and its pretty damned good.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(10-01-2014, 06:25 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I hate to cook any goddamn thing, absolutely loathe it. Time consuming bullshit that one has to pay attention to or run the risk of ruining it. So many other things I'd rather be doing. I'd even tolerate dishtowels hanging off my range if someone were to cook for me.
I'd could cook for you in exchange for makeup and fashion tips. Then after a home cooked meal we could have a girl's night out.
(10-01-2014, 12:18 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I'd could cook for you in exchange for makeup and fashion tips. Then after a home cooked meal we could have a girl's night out.

Deal! It would be fun. I'll take you to Inner Harbor and you can let your femininity rip. It will be a night to remember.
(10-01-2014, 12:25 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 12:18 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I'd could cook for you in exchange for makeup and fashion tips. Then after a home cooked meal we could have a sex.

Deal! It would be fun. I'll take you to Inner Harbor and you can let your femininity rip. It will be a night to remember.

FIFY

There will be no sex between Duchess & Clang. I'm old enough to be his grandmother for fuckssake. Old, I tell ya, old!

I saw that in my head, you bitch. [Image: slap.gif]
(10-01-2014, 06:25 AM)Duchess Wrote:

That's the beauty of the crock pot meal. Dump the shit in there and let it sit for 8 hours and then eat that shit. 910 times it's pretty good shit. hah
(10-01-2014, 12:58 PM)Duchess Wrote:

There will be no sex between Duchess & Clang. I'm old enough to be his grandmother for fuckssake. Old, I tell ya, old!

I saw that in my head, you bitch. [Image: slap.gif]
heh.