Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EBOLA IS IN AMERICA
I too hope the doc & his coworker do recover also HotD, (they're both good people) but it must be positively without incident.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(08-03-2014, 08:52 PM)Cheyne Wrote: If you are old enough to remember when AIDS made it's first appearances in the US, you can relate to todays panic over the Ebola virus.

Once I read about it & got some facts that's ^^^^^^^ precisely what it reminded me off. Some people are saying the craziest shit right now. Donald Trump is one of them, he comments like ebola is chasing him down the street.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
There is a Grand canyon of difference between the two. Ebola is highly contagious.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-04-2014, 01:53 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(08-03-2014, 08:52 PM)Cheyne Wrote: If you are old enough to remember when AIDS made it's first appearances in the US, you can relate to todays panic over the Ebola virus.

Once I read about it & got some facts that's ^^^^^^^ precisely what it reminded me off. Some people are saying the craziest shit right now. Donald Trump is one of them, he comments like ebola is chasing him down the street.

Yes, in the beginning, Aids did spread like wild fire with no vaccine or cure in site to stop it. Having Aids was a death sentence, it was a killer.
I lost a few friends, (one only 23) to that nasty killer.

When the Aids designer cocktails were finally developed, and it was proven it helped the infected patients, things calmed down.

Right now, Ebola has no such cocktail or vaccine, so it's a death sentence, it's just a blatant killer! Once a cure is developed for it, people in general will calm down again.

I was reading that the people who are infected with it are trying (and sometimes succeeding) to leave the hospitals. They run away, either under their own power or by their family helping them. They are scared because they don't understand. They see those who have gone before them taken away never to be seen again and believe that to be their fate as well.

One of the doctors has said the deaths are shocking in that many of the people are up and walking around, communicating, all is well and within a couple hours they are dead.

I waffle on how I feel about this. I believe it can be contained but I also know that the people in charge can't even keep a deadly virus in a test tube secure.
(08-04-2014, 04:38 PM)Maggot Wrote: There is a Grand canyon of difference between the two. Ebola is highly contagious.

Oh for fuck's sake Maggot (and Aussie), are you stoned or can you just not read? It's not air borne, like HIV it's only contracted through bodily fluids.

Well, I'm safe then. You know goddamn well there is no way I am coming in contact with anyone's bodily fluids. Yuk!
(08-04-2014, 05:47 PM)sally Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 04:38 PM)Maggot Wrote: There is a Grand canyon of difference between the two. Ebola is highly contagious.

Oh for fuck's sake Maggot (and Aussie), are you stoned or can you just not read? It's not air borne, like HIV it's only contracted through bodily fluids.

I'm not taking a chance, no more monkey meat for me twinkie. I wonder how long it lasts outside of the body?
(08-03-2014, 08:52 PM)Cheyne Wrote: Ebola isn't highly contagious unless you are in direct contact with body fluids. It's like AIDS in that way. If you are old enough to remember when AIDS made it's first appearances in the US, you can relate to todays panic over the Ebola virus.

Yes, but it's the risk and that it can spread and become a worldwide epidemic. They really don't know much about it at this stage. At least with AIDS there is more information about it. I hope you guys contain it. It only takes one person. Given that the doctor treating these patients has died and he would have taken every precaution, I wouldn't be too relaxed about it being in the US. I think Donald Trump is right on this one. It should not have been brought to the US mainland.
The U.S. is now letting more patients into the borders. The world is truly a mess. I need to stay away from the news or my head may explode.
(08-05-2014, 10:28 AM)aussiefriend Wrote:
(08-03-2014, 08:52 PM)Cheyne Wrote: Ebola isn't highly contagious unless you are in direct contact with body fluids. It's like AIDS in that way. If you are old enough to remember when AIDS made it's first appearances in the US, you can relate to todays panic over the Ebola virus.

Yes, but it's the risk and that it can spread and become a worldwide epidemic. They really don't know much about it at this stage. At least with AIDS there is more information about it. I hope you guys contain it. It only takes one person. Given that the doctor treating these patients has died and he would have taken every precaution, I wouldn't be too relaxed about it being in the US. I think Donald Trump is right on this one. It should not have been brought to the US mainland.

Aussie' I agree wholeheartedly. These two medical professionals contracted Ebola and they were taking the reccommeded precautions.
The two Americans who contracted the disease, along with the other health care workers who contracted it, were not in an environment that allowed them to take all of the necessary/recommended precautions.

Linked below is a good piece where Dr. Nahid Bhadelia explains it. She is the director of infection control at the National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory in Boston and a hospital epidemiologist at Boston Medical Center. She’s slated to travel to Sierra Leone in mid-August, to share her expertise on infection control and also care directly for Ebola patients.

LINK
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/08/ebo...ton-doctor
(08-05-2014, 11:16 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The two Americans who contracted the disease, along with the other health care workers who contracted it, were not in an environment that allowed them to take all of the necessary/recommended precautions.

Linked below is a good piece where Dr. Nahid Bhadelia explains it. She is the director of infection control at the National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory in Boston and a hospital epidemiologist at Boston Medical Center. She’s slated to travel to Sierra Leone in mid-August, to share her expertise on infection control and also care directly for Ebola patients.

LINK
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/08/ebo...ton-doctor

This reminds me of sending our boys to Iraq and having them convoy in vehicles that were not hardened to protect them from the explosives the enemy were detonating under them on the roads.
(08-05-2014, 10:41 AM)Maggot Wrote: The U.S. is now letting more patients into the borders. The world is truly a mess. I need to stay away from the news or my head may explode.

Guess I'm gonna start stockpiling food, water, firewood, propane gas, ammo, for if & when the Ebola goes rampid in the good ole US of A, I'll be prepaired, and won't have to leave my fortress! hah Smiley_emoticons_stumm: Smiley_emoticons_slash

(08-05-2014, 10:41 AM)Maggot Wrote: I need to stay away from the news or my head may explode.

I hear ya, buddy.
(08-05-2014, 10:41 AM)Maggot Wrote: The U.S. is now letting more patients into the borders. The world is truly a mess. I need to stay away from the news or my head may explode.
How about some good news then? Too early to speculate but a good start:Two American aid workers who became infected with the Ebola virus while caring for patients in West Africa have improved significantly after being treated with an experimental serum. The monoclonal antibody serum, produced by Mapp Biopharmaceutical, had never been used in humans, but it did show positive effects in monkeys infected with Ebola. Experts urged caution, saying that few conclusions can be drawn from two cases. Meanwhile, physicians at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York were handling a possible Ebola case with care, and they say it is unlikely the patient has the deadly virus.

The second one has now arrived here -

She's a 59 yr. old missionary from North Carolina.

[Image: 1407260073642_Image_galleryImage_MUST_CR...K_BACK.JPG]

[Image: 1407263566060_Image_galleryImage_Nancy_W...merica.JPG]

[Image: 1407253316968_wps_4_This_Oct_7_2013_photo_pro.jpg]
If you haven't seen this article, Gunnar, it's an interesting read about the process and the use of tobacco plants in producing the serum.

LINK: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/08/b...-citizens/

I'm hoping it can be determined quickly whether the serum is in fact responsible for the apparent improvement in the patients' conditions.

My oldest nephew plays the stock market. I told him this morning to invest in Mapp Biopharmaceutical. I would if I had some investment cash with which to gamble.
(08-05-2014, 02:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: If you haven't seen this article, Gunnar, it's an interesting read about the process and the use of tobacco plants in producing the serum.

LINK: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/08/b...-citizens/

I'm hoping it can be determined quickly whether the serum is in fact responsible for the apparent improvement in the patients' conditions.

My oldest nephew plays the stock market. I told him this morning to invest in Mapp Biopharmaceutical. I would if I had some investment cash with which to gamble.
The gub-ments involved, could be the kiss of death for this study although it is pretty high profile.
(08-05-2014, 02:53 PM)Duchess Wrote:

The second one has now arrived here -

She's a 59 yr. old missionary from North Carolina.

[Image: 1407260073642_Image_galleryImage_MUST_CR...K_BACK.JPG]

[Image: 1407263566060_Image_galleryImage_Nancy_W...merica.JPG]

[Image: 1407253316968_wps_4_This_Oct_7_2013_photo_pro.jpg]

Such a nice friendly looking woman, hope she makes it!

Wonder how many (if any) of those friendly lovable looking kids will make it.