Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Kitchen Remodel
Maggot Offline
Supermod

RE: Kitchen Remodel

I don't like the flat backsplash on the granite tops. I would think that if they can cut a molded shape into the edge of the granite countertop they could make a radius cut into the backsplash and rabbit it into the granite top. The thought of any moisture getting into that corner kinda bugs me. Any crack or seam is a place where mold could begin to form along the wall behind it, no matter how much caulking you put behind it.

10-17-2014 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

sally Away
sally

The cabinets are maple and the stain is toffee. The back splash is granite. I didn't want the cabinets too dark or light so that's why I went with the maple. But I've seen some kitchens in magazines that make me wish I would have gone with cherry wood instead.

10-17-2014 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Maggot Offline
Supermod

It never fails, You look and shop and try to get the perfect thing going on and when its all done there is always something that you bite your lip over doing wrong. I might be wrong but most women go with the stain and the colors never looking at the grain pattern to see if its even the correct wood for the color. A maple cabinet stained cherry might go unnoticed to the woman's eye and most men actually.

10-17-2014 01:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

username Offline
Mod Lite

(10-17-2014 12:58 PM)Maggot Wrote:  Some cabinet shops will take the square footage and design one for you for free. They usually have lots of prints from past jobs and are more than happy to give you 3-4 different scenarios without costing a dime. I do lots of HVAC layouts for free just for the chance to land a job.

I originally went to a custom kitchen/cabinet store but after trading a few phone calls we never connected. They probably would have done that but I like the fact that this woman I'm using doesn't make a dime more if I choose the top of the line, best of everything or decide to pinch pennies here and there. She gets no benefit for upselling me.

If I were more edumucated on the subject I probably wouldn't need that but I'm a sucker ready to be plucked.

Cluck, cluck.

Commando Cunt Queen
10-17-2014 01:47 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

No your not, you just think you are.

10-17-2014 01:50 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(10-17-2014 01:41 PM)sally Wrote:  The cabinets are maple and the stain is toffee. The back splash is granite. I didn't want the cabinets too dark or light so that's why I went with the maple. But I've seen some kitchens in magazines that make me wish I would have gone with cherry wood instead.

Do you have a taller backsplash between your range and hood?

More pics, please. Nag, nag, nag.

Commando Cunt Queen
10-17-2014 01:51 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

If you're getting an island you might like a couple refrigerator drawers in it. I love mine.

[Image: DuchessofMock_zpsiwcdtrji.png]
10-17-2014 01:52 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(10-17-2014 01:45 PM)Maggot Wrote:  It never fails, You look and shop and try to get the perfect thing going on and when its all done there is always something that you bite your lip over doing wrong. I might be wrong but most women go with the stain and the colors never looking at the grain pattern to see if its even the correct wood for the color. A maple cabinet stained cherry might go unnoticed to the woman's eye and most men actually.

What's the grain pattern have to do with the stain? I've never really thought much about it (and I certainly wouldn't notice by eyeball) but I just associate certain colors with certain woods and that seems more important to me on something as massive as cabinets. If I wanted deep, dark cabinets I would first check out cherry, golden--maple. Then again there are all the other factors like durability etc.
I can't fathom oak though. The whole damn house was Golden Oak at one time and the kitchen and bath still are. I'm sick to death of Golden Oak.

Commando Cunt Queen
10-17-2014 02:00 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(10-17-2014 01:52 PM)Duchess Wrote:  

If you're getting an island you might like a couple refrigerator drawers in it. I love mine.

That part will be fun. Adding all the stuff I don't currently have (for example enough fridge/freezer space). I'd really like a real pantry too. I have a tall cupboard right now but nothing pulls out or anything and the top two shelves are particularly useless.

I want several pull out shelves too. I have two under my range now...I want more.

I'd love an island and that would involve completely reconfiguring the whole area which I can't picture yet. Thank God for Lacy.

Commando Cunt Queen
10-17-2014 02:09 PM

sally Away
sally

(10-17-2014 01:51 PM)username Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 01:41 PM)sally Wrote:  The cabinets are maple and the stain is toffee. The back splash is granite. I didn't want the cabinets too dark or light so that's why I went with the maple. But I've seen some kitchens in magazines that make me wish I would have gone with cherry wood instead.

Do you have a taller backsplash between your range and hood?

More pics, please. Nag, nag, nag.

The range and hood is actually in the middle of the island. That's why I had to switch out the original Corian for granite. The heat from the gas range cracked the whole counter in half.

If your range is going to be near the wall I think some type of Tuscan tile would be nice as a backsplash.

[Image: 014_zpsf0b1b2b9.jpg]

10-17-2014 02:46 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

Wow, wow, wow, WOW!!! Look at all that space! 70 That's purty too (right click, save).

Uh-oh...I just noticed your sink doesn't sit underneath a window. Smiley_emoticons_stumm

The only thing I'd need is some darker colors somewhere. If I had your kitchen (God, I wish I had your kitchen), I'd paint the walls a deep tan or some other darker color to make it look even warmer. I have some brown/tan on a few of my walls and it really makes colors/artwork etc. "pop" in those rooms.

Commando Cunt Queen
10-17-2014 03:07 PM

sally Away
sally

I plan on painting the walls a brown color, adding hardware to the cabinets and adding the refrigerated drawers and another dishwasher like Duchess has.

Who the hell am I kidding, I'm never going to get around to doing any of that bullshit, I should have just done it in the first place. I still have to fix the leak in my roof that's been there for a year.

10-17-2014 03:11 PM

sally Away
sally

Oh and I would love to have a window over the sink with a view of the mountains or ocean. Unfortunately the only view I have out my windows are the neighbors house.

10-17-2014 03:14 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

(10-17-2014 02:00 PM)username Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 01:45 PM)Maggot Wrote:  It never fails, You look and shop and try to get the perfect thing going on and when its all done there is always something that you bite your lip over doing wrong. I might be wrong but most women go with the stain and the colors never looking at the grain pattern to see if its even the correct wood for the color. A maple cabinet stained cherry might go unnoticed to the woman's eye and most men actually.

What's the grain pattern have to do with the stain? I've never really thought much about it (and I certainly wouldn't notice by eyeball) but I just associate certain colors with certain woods and that seems more important to me on something as massive as cabinets. If I wanted deep, dark cabinets I would first check out cherry, golden--maple. Then again there are all the other factors like durability etc.
I can't fathom oak though. The whole damn house was Golden Oak at one time and the kitchen and bath still are. I'm sick to death of Golden Oak.

That's what I'm saying, why get the expensive wood if its the color that's important.

10-17-2014 08:28 PM