Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread
*groan*
I loved Freddie Mercury's voice and style so much. He had such incredible range and showmanship, not many people can cover his songs.

But....George Michael effin' nailed 'Somebody to Love' playing with Queen at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

If there's a bathhouse in the afterlife, the music's gotta be incredible.
Not even close.
Those British fans sure love Queen.

Every Queen video I've seen looks the same.

Most popular group of all time there?

Might be.
Freddie was one of a kind -- no doubt, Biggie.

But, I think George Michael got as close as just about anyone could.

It was one of the best performances of the tribute concert, in my opinion.

Anyway, I posted this in the LIVING IN THE PAST thread downstairs some time ago. It's worthy of multiples, however.

(12-27-2016, 11:24 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Those British fans sure love Queen.

Might be.

I think Queen would probably make the top 5 or 6 in terms of general popularity worldwide -- right up there with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Pink Floyd.
(12-27-2016, 11:34 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(12-27-2016, 11:24 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Those British fans sure love Queen.

Might be.

I think Queen would probably make the top 5 or 6 in terms of general popularity worldwide -- right up there with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Pink Floyd.
Absolutely top 5, with Freddy being the best live showman in the front man arena.
(12-27-2016, 11:16 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I loved Freddie Mercury's voice and style so much. He had such incredible range and showmanship, not many people can cover his songs.

But....George Michael effin' nailed 'Somebody to Love' playing with Queen at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

If there's a bathhouse in the afterlife, the music's gotta be incredible.

Very close in my opinion. No disrespect intended but I prefer this version of Somebody to Love.
Allman Brothers drummer and founding member Butch Trucks suffered a gun shot wound to the head and died Tuesday in his waterfront condo in West Palm Beach, Florida at the age of 69.

His wife Melinda witnessed Trucks pulling the trigger and called 911. Palm Beach County court records show Trucks appeared to be wrestling with financials problems. In 2011, Trucks had to sell his prized home in Palm Beach for $2 million when it was possibly worth twice as much to pay off a $800,000 mortgage. Last year, the IRS filed two liens against the condo to force Trucks to pay additional taxes for 2013 and 2014 for a total of more than $540,000.

Rolling Stone magazine named Butch one of the top 10 drummers in rock history.

RIP.

Pretty fucked up that his wife had to see that shit.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(01-26-2017, 02:31 PM)Duchess Wrote: Pretty fucked up that his wife had to see that shit.

Yeah it is. They were married for 25 years and she was reportedly hysterical on the 911 call.

A couple of years back, Donovan turned me on to the Tedeschi Trucks band. Great blues band. Derek Trucks is Butch's nephew and an amazing guitarist. He played with the Allman Brothers when he was young and is married to Susan Tedeschi (I love her voice).

Here's Derek opening for his uncle Butch when he was just 13.

I didn't know where to put this, so....

I know some of you don't like Springsteen so just try to view it as an awesome experience for a fan. It's so cool for this kid. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Y'all won't believe this...or maybe you will. On this day 44 years ago Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon. 44 years ago! Damn.
Wow, got my copy soon as it came out, still have it. Also had it in 8 track Quad format
Wow, looks like some of the Mocker's in here are pretty OLD!Smiley_emoticons_skeptischSmiley_emoticons_biggrinSmiley_emoticons_razz
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Not necessarily. It just means they listen to old music. Classic rock.
Smiley_emoticons_razz
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(03-01-2017, 01:15 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Wow, got my copy soon as it came out, still have it. Also had it in 8 track Quad format

A buddy had that and the special player for it, it was rad dude!
Chuck Berry died today. He was 90. RIP.

My dad loved his music and always listened to his records when I was a kid. His favorite was Johnny B. Goode; mine is Maybellene. Really good stuff.

Mr. Berry, who was born in 1926 in St. Louis to middle-class parents, had kept active until fairly recently, performing once a month at the Blueberry Hill bar in his hometown.

A pop-music pioneer rivaled only by Elvis Presley, Mr. Berry fused rhythm-and-blues and country music into a bright, modern-sounding hybrid called rock ’n’ roll with a danceable 44 beat and witty wordplay.

In the early 1950s, America’s pop charts had three categories—pop, rhythm-and-blues and country-and-western—that reflected the nation’s racial and class divisions. Mr. Berry, along with Mr. Presley, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and Buddy Holly, helped break down those barriers.

Through detailed depictions of adolescent life and wry, crisply enunciated lyrics about driving, sex and rock ’n’ roll, Mr. Berry fascinated black and white teens alike—one of the first black artists to do so.

Full story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/rock-n-roll...1489878271
The crew on CBS just sent out an RIP to Chuck during NCAA tourney.