Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all gamers
I'm about ready to get into games and consoles so my question is what is a good game console that will get me by for a few years that I can set up in my game/music room for Christmas? Nintendo, wii-fi...I don't know.
Under 400.00 would be nice. My 9yr old plays Mario and Plants vs, Zombies now and club Penquin on the computer so nothing crazy, just a decent something, to get him off this computer so my 12 yr old can write her book and do her school work. A bit of separation because they fight like crazy sometimes.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm looking around but maybe experience is the key on this one. Thanks
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
My 14 year old owns every game system there is.

The one system to stay away from is the PS3. It has a major problem of over heating and melting the sauder (I know that's not spelled correctly) off the mother board.

If you're willing to spend up to $400.00, why not just buy a second computer? You can get a decent (refurbished) laptop for around $200.00, and for an extra 50 bucks or so, you can get an accidental warranty (I love warranties).
(11-21-2014, 06:21 AM)cannongal Wrote: The one system to stay away from is the PS3. It has a major problem of over heating and melting the sauder (I know that's not spelled correctly) off the mother board.

I've had mine for around 8 years or no. Not one issue, and I really enjoy the fact that it's a Blu-Ray player as well.

If you ask four people about which platform is the "best". you'll have 4 different answers, for different reasons. If kiddos will be using it a lot, I'd go with the Wii.
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

Consulting the resident teenager, he says playstation or xbox. That's where all the game developers are. He says wii games are shite unless you want to play golf or bowling or tennis.

He says his PS3 is now almost seven years old and has had no issue whatsoever.
Yeah, Wii is not going to attract the attention of a child for long. Their market is two player / family sport games. Try playing a FPS on the Wii and you might as well point a pencil out the window and pretend to shoot birds. Wii is great for family settings... you can pick up a controller, literally know nothing about gaming, and bowl against another family member. The learning curve is very low. Not good for hours of gaming fun. We gave my fiancee's Wii to goodwill like a year ago. When it becomes a Netflix player, you just don't need it anymore.

I would give you more opinion but the last system I personally had was a standard Xbox. They were the bees knees when they first came out. I skipped the 360 tho, moved straight to PC. Actually gonna pick up a PS4 myself for Christmas. Course, that'd be stretching your budget cause that's like 400 for the console alone. Games, another controller, etc would all be extra. The laptop for 200 bucks or so could be fine for plant vs zombie I think, but any serious gaming on a laptop that cost 200 bucks... you might as well give the kid a potato to play with. Probably a more robust gaming experience. My laptop was the best and brightest 10 months ago... 1300 bucks or so. And that's a helluva deal. Dellionware would be 2g's plus for anything similar. Anyway, I got very off your train of thought, but...

With the release of Xbox One and PS4, you could probably find a PS3 or Xbox 360 for well under 200 bucks. Save yourself some dough and have a decent console to play on. Heck, you could probably pick up a used one from the kid down the street for 50-100 bucks and get a cartload of games to go with it. Good luck with the hunt.
http://kotaku.com/5910324/when-your-ps3-...aperweight

It's happened to him twice (I didn't buy the second one, the brat bought it himself). His cousin just gave him another one.

Lately he seems to favor the XBOX though.

Maggot-Take the brat into 'We Buy Stuff' on route 4 in Chichester. They have every system going & the 2 geeks behind the counter are super about giving the pros & Cons of each system. My brat loves going in there.

ETA:

BTW cutz-The kid is 9 not 15, he doesn't need a $1300.00 laptop to keep him happy.

Craigslist might be a place to look too, Maggottyboo.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I have a couple extra xp computers kicking around and will check out the place in Chichester Sunday.

I will probably take Crashes suggestion and go with the play station.
Craigs list is OK but sometimes its a bigger hassle than warranted. I don't trust electronics there.
(11-21-2014, 09:08 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Craigslist might be a place to look too, Maggottyboo.

Jesus Christ!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Wise ass [Image: slap.gif]
My son called my husband a dick head at work so my husband came home and smashed a bowling ball on his X-box 360. I'll send it to you for free if you think you can fix it.
(11-21-2014, 01:40 PM)sally Wrote: My son called my husband a dick head at work so my husband came home and smashed a bowling ball on his X-box 360. I'll send it to you for free if you think you can fix it.

I don't bowl.
(11-21-2014, 11:35 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Smiley_emoticons_razz

(11-21-2014, 03:15 PM)Carsman Wrote:

Smiley_emoticons_razz

Does cars even know how to put a disk in the computer?
(11-21-2014, 05:28 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(11-21-2014, 03:15 PM)Carsman Wrote:

Smiley_emoticons_razz

Does cars even know how to put a disk in the computer?

NO, . . . . . . . . .but I BOWL!!! hah

I'm intimidated by big balls so I bowl candlepins. A person can really wing them little elephant turds down the alley.
(11-22-2014, 12:07 AM)Maggot Wrote: I'm intimidated by big balls so I bowl candlepins. A person can really wing them little elephant turds down the alley.

I tried the little balls, I found I liked the biger balls better. hah (same like boobs)

This has been bugging me for a few days. Now when my kids get out of school they jump on their bikes and ride around in the street until it gets dark, they have some other kids that they play with and when it gets dark they come in. My son plays with his tons of legos and my daughter practices her flute and piano.
I've seen kids that when they get home they jump on the video game console and they stay hidden in their own world kinda wasting time playing these non productive type things that put them into zone world.
I'm not sure if I want to get an xbox360 or a ps-3 or ps4 or anything like that. I woke up in the middle of the night last night after having a bad dream about my kids not doing the bike riding or football or flute or piano stuff. I probably wont get anything like that.
Maybe if they have an hour game time set up or something.
(11-23-2014, 10:03 AM)Maggot Wrote: This has been bugging me for a few days. Now when my kids get out of school they jump on their bikes and ride around in the street until it gets dark, they have some other kids that they play with and when it gets dark they come in. My son plays with his tons of legos and my daughter practices her flute and piano.
I've seen kids that when they get home they jump on the video game console and they stay hidden in their own world kinda wasting time playing these non productive type things that put them into zone world.
I'm not sure if I want to get an xbox360 or a ps-3 or ps4 or anything like that. I woke up in the middle of the night last night after having a bad dream about my kids not doing the bike riding or football or flute or piano stuff. I probably wont get anything like that.
Maybe if they have an hour game time set up or something.

Or, maybe get them their own candlepins set. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

(11-23-2014, 10:03 AM)Maggot Wrote: when my kids get out of school they jump on their bikes and ride around in the street until it gets dark, they have some other kids that they play with and when it gets dark they come in. My son plays with his tons of legos and my daughter practices her flute and piano.

That's ^^^^^ how it was when I was a kid. I never played a video game until I was an adult and I've only done it once. I have zero interest in that type of thing.

Are you aware that some grown men sit with their consoles and spend hours doing the very same thing? Their kids, if they have them, probably do the same thing.