SCHOOL LUNCHES
The CDC requires children in all 50 states to provide the required immunization records unless the parents are given one of the three types of waivers posted upthread, to the best of my knowledge.

I think the processes for handling vaccination/immunization records for school children who are residents, but not citizens, of the US vary from state to state (as they do for American school children).

In New York state -- home to many immigrants -- for example, children can attend public school for 14 days if their parents can't produce the required records but are working on it. For immigrant and homeless children, the school administration has the discretion to extend that period to 30 days.

Most immigrant children are coming from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador or Guatemala where the immunization rate for measles and other communicable diseases is about the same (in some cases higher) than the US anyway.

The biggest factor fueling the measles outbreak isn’t immigrants; it’s people who have chosen to not receive vaccines for philosophical reasons, according to Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. She said earlier this month: “It is frustrating that some people have opted out of vaccination. I think we do have some communities with many who have not received vaccines.”

The state of Oregon reportedly has the highest percentage of non-vaccinated population at 7% (most of which is attributed to "philosophical" waivers).

I've never paid attention to this sort of thing & had no idea there are different rules for different folks. Should there be all these rules, exceptions, whatever they are called? Maybe I look to just make things easy when I want one rule that applies to everyone. No vaccinations, no school. Period.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Let me know when the requirement is a micro-chip, then I will start complaining.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-18-2015, 08:40 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I read that in Chicago some schools forbid kids to bring their own lunches now, for health reasons. I think that's bullshit.

Would not surprise me in that liberal town. Everyone must be equal, and we couldn't have Johnny enjoying a nice lunch that mother made while Bob was forced to eat the crap being served up by the cafeteria. That wouldn't be fair, of course.
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

(02-20-2015, 07:03 PM)thekid65 Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 08:40 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I read that in Chicago some schools forbid kids to bring their own lunches now, for health reasons. I think that's bullshit.

Would not surprise me in that liberal town. Everyone must be equal, and we couldn't have Johnny enjoying a nice lunch that mother made while Bob was forced to eat the crap being served up by the cafeteria. That wouldn't be fair, of course.

Damned liberals. The right to bring a sack lunch (or lunch pail, if you don't mind getting bullied) should be an inalienable one!!!

On the plus side.......after having had their rights to a free lunch suppressed in elementary school, those little Chicagoan boys and girls will graduate to high school (a portion of them will, anyway). There, they'll be able to obtain complimentary condoms and birth control pills from the school nurse, courtesy of the those same damned liberals. I support the birth control program.
Yeah, those lunches do differ. Especially the one American children get comparing to children from other countries. http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/whats-...-the-world is another good service where you can see for yourself and compare.
The free breakfast at school should be called free diabetes. This morning's menu was French toast sticks with high fructose corn syrup, strawberry yogurt with more high fructose corn syrup, strawberry puree cup with added sugar because I guess the strawberries aren't sweet enough on their own, fruit juice which is just more sugar and chocolate milk just in case they didn't get enough sugar. It's ridiculous, they may as well just give them sugar packets. If I had nothing better to do I'd write letters to the NSLP and Michelle Obama.

I let my daughter eat there just for the first week because it was something new to her and she wanted to do it, but next week she's eating breakfast at home and bringing her lunch.
We're in one of the top public school districts in what is considered one of the best state public school systems in the country.

I've eaten school lunch with my kids over the years and I've never really been impressed.

Maybe not as much sugar as Sally was talking about, but nothing special.

My kids bring their lunch 3 out of every 5 days on average.
They also had a choice of cereal which was Lucky Charms and Reese's Puffs. My daughter got the Reese Puffs and really seemed to enjoy it. They had no low sugar cereals like Cheerios or corn flakes which is at least a little healthier and wouldn't cost the school anymore money than the junk cereals. They could also have fruit cups in it's own juice instead of fruit cups with added sugar and syrup and that wouldn't cost them any extra either. I don't understand how they figure this is nutritious.
At my Grandson's school, the school gives out a lunch menu for the entire month.

So he & his mom are able to pick and choose which days he will bring his lunch, or eat the school's offerings. Averages out to 2 to 3 times a week he brings his lunch.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

My brat only eats school lunch on pizza day. For some reason the little fiend loves those greasy rectangles they call pizza.
(08-19-2016, 11:22 AM)cannongal Wrote: My brat only eats school lunch on pizza day. For some reason the little fiend loves those greasy rectangles they call pizza.

Do they serve it with wilted lettuce, some yucky vinegar dressing, and cheese cubes they call a salad?
(08-19-2016, 11:22 AM)cannongal Wrote: My brat only eats school lunch on pizza day. For some reason the little fiend loves those greasy rectangles they call pizza.

I actually like those too. There is something about them. From what I remember anyway, I might not like them anymore.

They haven't sent menus home yet, but I will let her pick a day or two to eat there. I'm sure she'll pick pizza day. No way can I allow her to eat breakfast and lunch there everyday though. That would be similar to that experiment the guy did eating every meal at McDonalds for a month and almost went into kidney failure in the end.

Sounds like the same pizza I ate 40 yes ago.
I LOVED it! And the Turkey Tetrazinni too. Are they still serving that?
(08-19-2016, 01:36 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Sounds like the same pizza I ate 40 yes ago.

Had to look up what Turkey Tetrazinni was....That's an awfully fancy word for a casserole.
(08-19-2016, 02:34 PM)cannongal Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 01:36 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Sounds like the same pizza I ate 40 yes ago.

Had to look up what Turkey Tetrazinni was....That's an awfully fancy word for a casserole.

That's what they called it on the school menu. I'm not sure I've heard of it since then.
(08-19-2016, 02:49 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: That's what they called it on the school menu. I'm not sure I've heard of it since then.

Yeah, they jazz up my kids' menu too.

[Image: lunch_zpsbie0zlbo.jpg]

I think it's totally amazing how they can take perfectly good sounding meals, and turn them into the slop that shows up on the food trays.
My favorite food from the elementary school cafeteria was the little white potatoes with paprika on them. I've bought canned white potatoes before and browned them in butter with paprika, but they just weren't the same. The worst was their spaghetti and meat sauce. I would think it would be impossible to fuck up spaghetti, but they somehow did it. They put bay leaves in it too which is strange since most elementary aged kids don't know what a bay leaf is and they're left wondering why there are leaves in their spaghetti.
We mostly got bag lunches or walked home for lunch in elementary school.

Peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches were my favorite lunch back then.

But, once a month or so, we'd get money for Friday cafeteria sponge-crust pepperoni pizza, which we absolutely loved.
(08-19-2016, 10:26 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches were my favorite lunch back then.

As with most kids. I always thought they were a bummer though, wish sandwiches as Biggie likes to call them. As in I wish this was a ham and swiss on rye.