Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
IS THIS BULLSHIT OR APPROPRIATE?
(04-11-2015, 09:40 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: But hey, don't you get it?

This is the new America where Black Muslim Lives Matter.

Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch I'm not viewing him as a black man, I'm viewing him as a convicted murderer.

I'll leave it to you to make it a race thing. Odd that people can see the same thing and view it so differently.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]

...and furthermore, black Muslim lives matter just as much as your white Christian life matters.
(04-11-2015, 06:12 AM)Duchess Wrote: I wouldn't care if she personally wrote to him but she's an idiot for having little kids write to a convicted cop killer.

If that women isn't smart enough to know better, she probably shouldn't be teaching.

I'd have a problem with the teacher's union defending someone who had children write to a convicted murderer.

Like some of the other teacher-assignment controversies covered in this thread, the assignment content itself isn't as concerning to me as the teacher's lack of judgment and common sense in apparently not anticipating the predictable backlash.

In this case, Zuniga's post-boasting on Twitter about the letters being delivered was at least as short-sighted as the assignment itself, IMO.

In terms of the assignment itself, honestly, I don't think I'd much care where my third-grader's glitter and crayon card ended up, but I understand why some parents care. I'd be concerned, however, if it turns out there was more to the assignment, like the kids having been lectured about the murder with the teacher insisting that the convict is innocent. That would be too much for third graders, IMO. At this point, it's not been alleged that Zuniga did that; the investigation is still in progress.

I didn't find any statements from the teachers' union in regards to Zuniga's suspension, but I suspect they won't support her beyond what they're minimally required to do.

The New Jersey State Police Union President (Burgos) is having a public shit fit about the "brainwashing" and "anarchist agenda" which he contends Zuniga inflicted upon her students by having them make those get well cards. Ref: http://newsinnj.com/n-j-teacher-brainwas...dent-says/

Maybe Cutz could help save Burgos from having a heart attack and help him to gain some perspective too? I mean, if Burgos simply embraced Cutz's philosophy that all Jersey kids are, by geographic predestination, prison-bound criminals-in-the-making anyway, Burgos might decide to back away from those hopeless snot-nosed third-grade losers and focus on the little things. The little things -- like better law enforcement training, improving relations and support between the police and the public, means by which to reduce police corruption and brutality, etc...

P.s. A female NJ college professor and friend of Zuniga, Johanna Fernandez, is reportedly a staunch supporter of Abu-Jamal and she's the one who delivered the letters to him in prison. The other batch was from a group of high school students in the Philadelphia Student Union, which fights for school reform and is led by Mr. Hiram Rivera. I haven't come across any news of disciplinary action against Rivera. Ref: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/U-TUR...a.html?c=r
(04-11-2015, 11:01 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: In terms of the assignment itself, honestly, I don't think I'd much care where my third-grader's glitter and crayon card ended up, but I understand why some parents care. I'd be concerned, however, if it turns out there was more to the assignment, like the kids having been lectured about the murder and the teacher insisting that the convict is innocent. That would be too much for third graders, IMO. At this point, it's not been alleged that Zuniga did that; the investigation is still in progress.

This. What's the difference where it ends up? I'd be more concerned about what was said to the children as well. Whether the cards go in the trash, the school's basement, or some lonely pedophile on a fishing trawler in the middle of the ocean makes no difference to the children if they don't know where they end up. She's an idiot for advertising her delivery tho.

And I stand by my statements about Jersey. You can get into Jersey for free, but you have to pay to leave (much like jail.) Brugos probably became such a nutjob because he had to arrest all the people illegally pumping their own gas in Jersey. If I ran things, Jersey, Texas, and Cleveland would all stop trying so hard because we all know they'll amount to nothing.
(04-11-2015, 11:39 AM)Cutz Wrote: And I stand by my statements about Jersey. You can get into Jersey for free, but you have to pay to leave (much like jail.) Brugos probably became such a nutjob because he had to arrest all the people illegally pumping their own gas in Jersey. If I ran things, Jersey, Texas, and Cleveland would all stop trying so hard because we all know they'll amount to nothing.

Hiya Cutz.

You're a pretty good troll -- credit where due.

So, I don't know if this is bullshit or appropriate, but I'm really kinda jealous about your upcoming trip (not the marriage part, though). My nephew and his wife are celebrating their second wedding anniversary in Cozumel in July; they're finishing their scuba diving courses next weekend. I'm kinda jealous of their trip too (not the marriage part, though).

I need a real vacation.
(04-04-2015, 06:51 PM)Maggot Wrote: Ya know Ramseykittens I'm having a tough time deciding who I like better, you or Paris Hilton.

[Image: Paris_Hilton-10.jpg]

Ramsey probably has less STDs.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Truth CN.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(04-17-2015, 01:25 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Truth CN.

Rams, can you remember where you were and what you were doing when you got your first STD?
(04-17-2015, 12:40 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 06:51 PM)Maggot Wrote: Ya know Ramseykittens I'm having a tough time deciding who I like better, you or Paris Hilton.

[Image: Paris_Hilton-10.jpg]

Ramsey probably has less STDs.

Thats sad. I wish I had at least one STD.

(STD stands for Sally Titties Dance, right?)
(04-17-2015, 03:08 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Thats sad. I wish I had at least one STD.

(STD stands for Sally Titties Dance, right?)

In your case it stands for Still Talking Drivel.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Oh it's non-stop non intellectual retarded downs syndrome stuff. No offence intended to those that have down's syndrome. And F2 is busting to fuck him. I mean, it would be funny if it wasn't such vomit material.
Bullshit or Appropriate?

Sean Hill, 10, was mouthing off to his 5th grade teacher in Georgia.

His mother Chiquita said she tried to discipline him, but the kid kept on doing it. So, in an attempt to set Sean straight, she called 911 and asked if police could come and put a scare into him.

Police obliged.

[Image: Main-Arrest.jpg]

It was cool of the officers to help the mom out, but I sure hope a bunch of other parents don't get inspired to tie up police officers' time with such requests.

I was way more afraid of pissing off my parents than I was of the police when I was 10.
It's good the 10 yr old didn't run from the officer otherwise he may have been shot 6 times in the back.
(04-11-2015, 11:39 AM)Cutz Wrote: What's the difference where it ends up? I'd be more concerned about what was said to the children as well. Whether the cards go in the trash, the school's basement, or some lonely pedophile on a fishing trawler in the middle of the ocean makes no difference to the children if they don't know where they end up. She's an idiot for advertising her delivery tho.

[Image: 17787487-mmmain.jpg]
Turns out, ^ Zuniga had her third-grade students analyze a quote about injustice made in prison by the convicted cop killer, Mumia Abu-Jamal.

At a contentious school board hearing, she claimed that a couple of months later she mentioned in class that the convict's health was failing. She said that the students asked her if they could write get-well letters and cards, and she allowed them to do so.

Zuniga told the school board this week:"I stand in front of you today because there's a community behind me, and because there's people here of the community, of the Orange community and the surrounding communities, that support me," Zuniga said. "There's people around the nation who support me, who believe I need to be reinstated and I believe that I need to be reinstated.

"My students need me in the classroom. My students have requested that I come back to the classroom," Zuniga added. "They miss me and they've been asking for me, and that's what's most important. No one is thinking about the students."

Some teachers, students, activists, and community members spoke in Zuniga's favor and condemned the school for crucifying Zuniga over a "lesson in compassion".

Other community members and educators pushed for her termination, calling the assignment inappropriate, short-sighted and unapproved by the parents. If she wanted to teach the kids about compassion, she could have had them send get well wishes to people in nursing homes, one of them proclaimed.

The School Board meeting was abruptly adjourned and Zuniga was fired on Wednesday. Her lawyer says she is considering filing a civil suit.

Ref: http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/0...rs_to.html
=================

Having heard the facts and Zuniga's claims that the third graders initiated the assignment, I agree that she's an idiot.

Here's the background on the killing of Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner (below left) back in 1981 and the case against Abu-Jamal (below right).
[Image: MumiaAbuJamalImage2.jpg]
Story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumia_Abu-Jamal
Georgia Mom Arrested for Son's Absences

[Image: 2912772800000578-3096786-image-a-98_1432601536032.jpg]
^ That's Julie Giles from Sylvania, Georgia.

[Image: 2912773000000578-3096786-image-a-95_1432601528929.jpg]
Her son Sam ^ has missed 12 days of school due to illness. He's only allowed 6 without doctor's notes.

Mrs. Giles is a volunteer at Sam's school. He's on the honor roll and getting all As and Bs.

Mrs. Giles had gotten doctor's notes for 3 days of absences, but says the co-pays are too expensive for her to take Sam in for doctor's notes whenever he's sick for a few days.

So, the local police issued a warrant for her arrest on the basis that her son had three absences over the limit on the books. She turned herself in, was shackled, booked, and had her mugshot taken and published in the local paper.

Screven County Schools Superintendent, William Bland, stands by this decision, and said the policy was important to make sure children are attending school.

He also revealed that several parents have already been convicted under this policy, with the punishment ranging from a monetary fine to actual time behind bars.

Is this appropriate policy for the good of the children, or is it bullshit overreach?
It's insane. The kid is on the honor roll, they can't differentiate between a kid that is habitually absent and doing poorly in school from one that misses some days, but otherwise is doing well academically? It's like the guy that pisses out in public and gets lumped in with the sex offenders for indecent exposure.

It's bullshit. What the hell has become of simple common sense.
(03-07-2015, 10:59 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Kate Carter, superintendent of schools confirmed on March 4, 2015 that David Olio, an English teacher at South Windsor High School, CT was suspended.

The suspension stems from his reading of the Allen Ginsberg poem "Please Master" in class recently. Carter considers the reading "highly inappropriate material being presented by a teacher to students in a senior English class."

The educator Olio has won several teaching awards and was committed to teaching senior high school students about diversity and thinking critically.

Do you think Mr. Olio deserves to be suspended for presenting the poem to 17 and 18 year old students?

Mr. Olio deserves to have his head examined, but....

(03-10-2015, 06:02 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: So, how about this school district decision from last year -- overreaction or appropriate?

[Image: F-Inqueue-StoryArchive-206996-270362-jpg-976.jpg]
^Ashley Williams taught a class called "Adult Roles and Financial Literacy" at Weber High School in Ogden, Utah.
Others supported her and found her style and content engaging; they did not think her teaching career deserved to be ended over the incident.

In both the above stories, it was noted that these were college level classes that the kids were going to receive college credits for.

I did a quick google search, and could not find one instance of a college professor being suspended over an assignment. Even the Professor that made the students stomp on a picture of Jesus was defended by the University he worked for.

Nor can I find any instance where a college students' Mommy or Daddy went into the university and said "I don't want my little darlin to be subjected to that material"

College students who don't agree with, or can't handle the material generally just drop the class-nobody goes running to the news about it.

So, I'm going to be the odd man out and say that I don't think either teacher should have been suspended or fired over the material. If you think little Jonny or susie is mature enough at 17 & 18 to earn college credits, then they should be mature enough to handle any material thrown at them without mommy or daddy crying to the school board about it.

I paid $900.00 per credit to read and and analyze all sorts of uncomfortable shit. If I objected they would have pointed to the door- Fuck this coddle the kid bullshit, if the high school doesn't think that material is appropriate for 17 & 18 year olds then the high school shouldn't allow the class to begin with.

I also think that the University backing the credits should have some say in the matter.

(05-03-2015, 02:38 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Bullshit or Appropriate?

Sean Hill, 10, was mouthing off to his 5th grade teacher in Georgia.

His mother Chiquita said she tried to discipline him, but the kid kept on doing it. So, in an attempt to set Sean straight, she called 911 and asked if police could come and put a scare into him.

It was cool of the officers to help the mom out, but I sure hope a bunch of other parents don't get inspired to tie up police officers' time with such requests.

I was way more afraid of pissing off my parents than I was of the police when I was 10.

Although I don't think it should be the police's responsibility to set the kid straight, I can understand why the mother did it.

Say Mom just hauled off and smacked her kid for being mouthy. Kid goes into school and says "mom smacked me" By law, the school is obligated to report that to the authorities. Mom gets in trouble.

From what I have seen these days, most anything a parent does for discipline, can be considered child abuse. Hell, even grounding a kid can be considered false imprisonment.

(05-25-2015, 10:37 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Georgia Mom Arrested for Son's Absences

Mrs. Giles is a volunteer at Sam's school. He's on the honor roll and getting all As and Bs.

Mrs. Giles had gotten doctor's notes for 3 days of absences, but says the co-pays are too expensive for her to take Sam in for doctor's notes whenever he's sick for a few days.

So, the local police issued a warrant for her arrest on the basis that her son had three absences over the limit on the books. She turned herself in, was shackled, booked, and had her mugshot taken and published in the local paper.

Screven County Schools Superintendent, William Bland, stands by this decision, and said the policy was important to make sure children are attending school.

He also revealed that several parents have already been convicted under this policy, with the punishment ranging from a monetary fine to actual time behind bars.

Is this appropriate policy for the good of the children, or is it bullshit overreach?

One of the high schools in my area enacted a truancy law a couple of years back.
If the student missed 5 or more days of school, excused or otherwise, the parent can be arrested, fined up to 2,000.00, and made to take parenting classes. The school is overcrowded, falling apart (to the point where you can see cracks in the walls, ceiling, and floors, and it's ranked at the lowest in the state. I can see why teens are jumping at the chance to go there.

My reaction was "What the Fuck good is that going to do"- a teen that doesn't want to go to school, isn't going to go, no matter what the parent does to them. Does the school expect the parent to quit their job, drag the kid into school, kicking and screaming, and sit on them the whole day, to keep them there?
I worked at a Philadelphia public high school for a few years. One day after leaving work early I saw a kid from a nearby middle school practically skipping down the street with such joy on his face. You could tell he was on top of the world, though it was a bit strange to see what looked like a 10 year old alone at 1pm in the afternoon.

As I watched, a cop car drove down the street, got parallel with the kid, pulled up to the curb, the driver got out, and just opened up the back door of the SUV cruiser and stood next to it, holding the door open. The kid had maybe 2 more seconds of bliss before he looked over and saw the cop, and his heart and attitude sank so drastically. His shoulders slumped, his head fell and he stared at the ground as he trudged towards the back seat of the cop car and got in.

I pulled two lessons from this scene. First, that truancy laws are aimed at even such young kids, and second, that this kid and cop had such a comfortable relationship that the cop didn't even feel the need to chase him. I can only assume that means this kid had escaped many times before and this same cop had gotten him at least several of those times.
My Daughter had missed a bunch of days when she graduated high school. She was on the honor roll and they would not graduate her because she was missing the required days so they put her in summer school to make up the days. Each 12 day equaled a full day and after 10 days she got her diploma. She pretty much went and goofed off. I was kinda pissed at the entire thing.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.