Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
IS THIS BULLSHIT OR APPROPRIATE?
Also dogs are not a snapper turtle's natural diet, unlike feeding rodents to a snake. I think this guy is a bit sadistic and I'll say the punishment is appropriate in this case. I think I called bullshit in all the other ones in this thread, but I'd have to go back and look to be sure.
(06-03-2018, 04:08 PM)sally Wrote: Also dogs are not a snapper turtle's natural diet, unlike feeding rodents to a snake. I think this guy is a bit sadistic and I'll say the punishment is appropriate in this case. I think I called bullshit in all the other ones in this thread, but I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

Aside from a couple of high school assignments that you considered inappropriate, you mostly felt like the moral outrage was pretty much bullshit. Same here.

I think Snapper (may he rest in peace) mighta been an alligator snapper turtle. Like Biggie, they'll eat anything. Alligator snapper turtles are one of the few animals that even prey on their own kind.

This is a weird and sad case. Still, it is making me laugh to read the articles as the story starts to pick up steam in the main stream media.

With each new story, the accompanying photo depicts an even cuter stock-photo puppy, despite the fact that the real and unfortunate puppy at the heart of the matter is described as terminally ill and deformed (not that it matters in terms of right and wrong...just amusing in terms of attempted emotional manipulation).
This is the real puppy in question. He is a little wrinkly and abnormal looking, but I wouldn't feed him to a turtle.

[Image: tpsPbDNl.jpg]
This is a true story.

My dad had a white German Shepard that had five puppies and there was something wrong with one of them. It didn't really look deformed, but it wasn't able to nurse and the mother kept digging shallow holes and trying to bury it alive. She knew something was wrong with it, but her attempts at burying it wasn't doing anything but flinging dirt in the poor thing's eyes. So my dad picked it up and smashed it in the head with a hammer. Good memories.

And yes I'm still traumatized.
(06-03-2018, 07:32 PM)sally Wrote: This is the real puppy in question. He is a little wrinkly and abnormal looking, but I wouldn't feed him to a turtle.
[Image: tpsPbDNl.jpg]

Again, not that it matters..........but please don't fall for sally's fake news.

THIS is the poor terminally ill puppy (may he rest in peace) that was fed to Snappy.
[Image: uglydog.jpg?resize=313,399]

And, this is Snappy, the dearly deceased -- executed for the crime of eating.
[Image: 7004008-Snapping-Turtle-Not-Happy-0.jpg]
(06-03-2018, 07:50 PM)sally Wrote: This is a true story.

My dad had a white German Shepard that had five puppies and there was something wrong with one of them. It didn't really look deformed, but it wasn't able to nurse and the mother kept digging shallow holes and trying to bury it alive. She knew something was wrong with it, but her attempts at burying it wasn't doing anything but flinging dirt in the poor thing's eyes. So my dad picked it up and smashed it in the head with a hammer. Good memories.

And yes I'm still traumatized.

My mom left my dad for two days, again, when we lived in Norwalk because the cat kept clawing itself onto the kitchen screen and my dad threw water at it.

My mom is a major animal lover and stood up to him. Then, my weird hippy parents (who turned into weird conservatives late in life) got into another fight over it and my dad held the cat over the garbage disposal and flipped the switch. He never would have done it, I know that for sure now. But, it made an impact.

So.........off we went once again -- mom, me, my sisters and the trouble-making cat........to the fleabag motel on Rosecrans. There was a pool there though, so we got over it real quick.

Your dad just did what he thought was quickest and necessary to end the puppy's suffering, it seems. But, I can see how it would be traumatizing and might have helped turn you into the compassionate animal caregiver you became.
Actually it made me normal. I wouldn't hold the cat over a garbage disposal and make the whole family move out to the Hotel 6 or smack a puppy in the head with a hammer. Or would I tell my six year old daughter to let the cat out in the back yard with the vicious Belgian Shepard. That was my mom that time. She always denied the story, but I remember as clear as day her telling me to put the cat outside when she knew damn well our dog was going to eat it. In front of my eyes. I think she was sick of it shitting all over the house, plus she didn't like cats to begin with.

Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. LOL.
(06-03-2018, 08:36 PM)sally Wrote: Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. LOL.

Stronger and maybe a little stranger, but that's okay.

You're not textbook 'normal' sal, in my opinion.

But, that's a very good thing in your case (a vast majority of the time).
(06-03-2018, 04:08 PM)sally Wrote: Also dogs are not a snapper turtle's natural diet, unlike feeding rodents to a snake. I think this guy is a bit sadistic and I'll say the punishment is appropriate in this case. I think I called bullshit in all the other ones in this thread, but I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

I just read about another similar case that happened last month in Ocala, Florida.

[Image: os-ocala-teacher-drowning-raccoons-20180517]
^ Dewie Brewton III, a former agricultural teacher at Forest High School in Ocala, worked with his students to establish the most humane way to kill two raccoons and a possum that had killed several of the students' chickens. Raising the chickens was part of their class project.

Since guns could not be brought on campus and burning, poisoning, and other means were considered too painful, Brewton and his students determined that drowning was the best solution. Students who didn't want to take part were allowed to stay indoors. But, one student who objected to the killings took photos.

[Image: bh7gpsdn4y39m53jwygb.jpg]

(continued)
The objecting student's mother filed a complaint. She thought it was highly inappropriate and a disgusting display of animal cruelty.

An investigation was launched and Brewton was cleared based on the fact that raccoons and possums are considered 'nuisance animals' and because Mr. Brewton did not act with malice.

The court found that Brewton “did not intend to torture or torment these nuisance animals,” and the killings are legal under state law, according to a four-page memo released Friday by Brad King, state attorney for Florida’s Fifth Judicial Circuit.

Brewton still faced a lot of backlash from animal lovers across the country though. He chose to resign early from teaching.

Story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...6e98c8021b
This isn't as bad as feeding a puppy to a turtle and it's a little more difficult to find a vet to put down two raccoons and a possum that may be rabid, but why not just call animal control and have them picked up? Seems like it would save a lot of headache.
Personally, I hate to see any animals killed.

But, if students are studying to work in agriculture or work with non-native species and such...........they're gonna have to learn about the circle of life and about death.

In both the cases of Crosland and Brewton, no students were forced to participate and only one witness did not support the teacher.

Crosland's case seems more controversial because ill/deformed puppies are not categorized as 'nuisance animals'. It will be interesting to see how his case plays out. He reportedly fed an animal who was on death's door to another animal who was hungry, whereas Brewton drowned three healthy animals for killing their natural prey.

A lot of animal rights activists vehemently object to both. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect people working on farms and ranches to expend the time and money to have every racoon, coyote, and possum put down by a vet or picked up by animal control.
I don't think what this teacher did was so bad, Maggot kills critters in his yard all the time and no one punishes him. However, in a school setting, I'd personally just call animal control and they'd take away the varmints for free.

That puppy killing science teacher though, he's a weirdo.
Damn right I do! Yawn But I don't like it, If they would just stay outta my stuff I wouldn't have to blow their heads off or whack them with a golf club or shoot them between their little beedy eyes.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
To charge or not to charge

Prosecutors in Puerto Rico have charged Salvatore Anello with the negligent homicide of his granddaughter while on a Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship.

If convicted, Anello faces 3 years in prison.

[Image: doble+chloe.jpg]

18-month-old Chloe Wiegand fell to her death when Anello raised her up to an open window in the child's play area of the ship.

The play area was on the the 11th floor and all the windows were closed.............except one (very unfortunately).  Chloe reportedly liked to bang on the windows at her brother's hockey games, so Anello raised her up to do so and out she went.  Rest in peace.

The child was traveling with her father, a South Bend, Indiana, police officer, as well as her mother, siblings and both sets of grandparents on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas. 

They are all obviously devastated by the terrible tragedy and feel that salt is being poured on the wound by the arrest and homicide charges.

(continue)
Anello is being held on $80,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court November 20.

Michael Winkleman, an attorney for the Wiegand family,  said "her grandfather thought there was glass just like everywhere else, but there was not, and she was gone in an instant." 

Winkleman blamed the cruise ship company for leaving the window inexplicably open. "How about a warning, how about a sign, how about something?" he said at a July press conference. "When you put it in a kids' play area, you gotta do something to let people know that these can be opened so things like this don't happen."

Chloe's mother Kimberly previously told NBC's "Today" that "I never want another mother to have to experience this or to see what I had to see or to scream how I had to scream."

"I didn't know that she went out a window," she added. "And I just kept saying, 'Take me to my baby. Where's my baby?' I didn't even notice a window. I ran over there and I looked over and it wasn't water down there, it was concrete. To lose our baby this way is just unfathomable."

Story:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grandfather...erto-rico/
Chloe's family will file suit against the cruise line, no doubt.

Anello clearly loved the little girl, and it is odd that a window in a child's play area so high up would be left open.  I can't even open hotel windows on floors that high up.

Plus, how could any punishment be worse than what he's going through already?

Personally, if we've got the full story here, I think it's bullshit to charge gramps with a crime in this case.
If the story is legit, I think grandpa and the rest of the family is already suffering enough.
Stupid people doing stupid things the window was probably open to get some cool air in. Who the fuck does dumb things like that? He couldn't hang onto the kid? WTF now they will sue because he was an idiot and will not take any personal responsibility. It was an accident by an idiot.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(10-30-2019, 07:27 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Chloe's family will file suit against the cruise line, no doubt.

Anello clearly loved the little girl, and it is odd that a window in a child's play area so high up would be left open.  I can't even open hotel windows on floors that high up.

Plus, how could any punishment be worse than what he's going through already?

Personally, if we've got the full story here, I think it's bullshit to charge gramps with a crime in this case.

It's odd that he managed to find the one window that was open and it's odd that he had such a loose grip on a baby that she flew out of his hands. Not saying he did it on purpose but he couldn't have killed her any deader if he had.
Sally, the flaming asshole of MockForums
[Image: xzwbrP0.png]