Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
BY GOD, IT'S MY RIGHT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU!
sally Away
sally

RE: BY GOD, IT'S MY RIGHT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU!

I know that reputable realty companies that enjoy their profits aren't going to discriminate against eligible gays. Money trumps discrimination whether the law is in place or not. I guess maybe if you want to rent from some slum lord over in WV you might run into problems.

03-28-2015 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-28-2015 06:17 PM)username Wrote:  Huh. Gays get less favorably treated in states that have legislation supposedly protecting them from discrimination in housing? That's interesting. Maybe the laws themselves scare some owners away from renting to gay individuals for fear that any future acts (a need to evict or something) might put them MORE at risk for a discrimination lawsuit.

Just goes to show how useless some of our laws are.

I thought that part was interesting too.

People, including business people, are gonna discriminate. Some admit it, some try to cloak it, some don't even know it.

I don't personally think RARF makes a big difference in how such people conduct business.

03-28-2015 06:32 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-28-2015 06:22 PM)sally Wrote:  I know that reputable realty companies that enjoy their profits aren't going to discriminate against eligible gays. Money trumps discrimination whether the law is in place or not. I guess maybe if you want to rent from some slum lord over in WV you might run into problems.

Say it's a nice area and a competitive rental market.

The realtor is homophobic or disagrees with gay marriage, but he's got a good reputation and is all about the profit.

He has three couples applying to rent a vacant unit. The first couple to apply checks out great and has the highest income and the best credit; no criminal records; no pets; both work most of the time... That's the gay middle aged dude and his life partner. They applied first.

Realtor Bob decides to rent the apartment to couple #2, Joe and Susan, instead.

You really think things like that barely ever happen or never happen, sally?

03-28-2015 06:39 PM

sally Away
sally

I never said it didn't happen HotD. I know it happens and there are always hardcore freaks that want to defend their beliefs no matter what, but they're the minority. Everyone else just wants to make money.

And it really doesn't matter unless there is solid proof that there was discrimination. Maybe Bob the realtor just thought the gay couple acted like freaks and couldn't take them seriously as they were holding hands and acting like flamboyant morons.

03-28-2015 07:34 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-28-2015 07:34 PM)sally Wrote:  I never said it didn't happen HotD. I know it happens and there are always hardcore freaks that want to defend their beliefs no matter what, but they're the minority. Everyone else just wants to make money.

And it really doesn't matter unless there is solid proof that there was discrimination. Maybe Bob the realtor just thought the gay couple acted like freaks and couldn't take them seriously as they were holding hands and acting like flamboyant morons.

Exactly.

03-28-2015 07:36 PM

sally Away
sally

But there is no proof that it was his thoughts. So what, now this law will allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to say whatever they think without any fear of law suits? I don't think that's the way it will work.

03-28-2015 07:52 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

You cannot legislate feelings. You can only hope for the best through legislation. Tolerance is the key no matter how you feel about any given matter people will always have free will and do what they want.

You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance.
03-28-2015 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

username Offline
Mod Lite

What they studied was online rental inquiries and how less likely gay couples were to even get an email response as opposed to heterosexual. Who doesn't do almost everything online these days? So, right from the git go/inquiry, ur less likely to get the rental. Flamboyant or not.

Commando Cunt Queen
03-28-2015 07:53 PM

sally Away
sally

Why should you have to put down your sexual preference on an online rental application? That study doesn't make any sense, I've never been asked my sexual preference on any application. The closest is on medical charts where they ask your marital status. Which you answer M or S.

03-28-2015 08:16 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

I haven't tried to fill one out but if they ask who is renting if "Chip and Harry" are applying, both sounding male (for example), you might assume they're gay or really kind of weird if they have a frat type roomie arrangement at age 30 or something. Even if their financials are sound. Fuck if I know. I just read some of the stupid study.

Heh. I once rented a house with a dyke named Sally for awhile though. Srsly. But she was the primary renter; I just rented a room in the house with her for awhile.

Commando Cunt Queen
03-28-2015 08:36 PM

sally Away
sally

Well if sally can get a room anyone can.

I don't think people are discriminated against as much as they claim to be. I could do some nasty bi-sexual, lesbian, midget transexual shit tonight and I guarantee you I'll find a job and apartment tomorrow if I needed to.

03-28-2015 08:46 PM

blueberryhill Offline
Mocker

I have had the typical "renters from hell" and am now leasing my Colorado house to a very nice person, but i could tell you a lot of horror stories about these people...e.g., the guy who was collecting disability for his alcoholism, so when he got his monthly check, he would buy booze and not pay his rent. Since I rented to him under Section 8 or some law (i don't really remember), I called the disability office to complain, and they said they had no control over what their "clients" did with their monthly checks. Think I have posted that before. I never even thought about renting to gays as opposed to straights, and don't care what people do in their bedrooms, just so they don't destroy my house. The main things I (and hopefully Mgt Co) wanted checked, was their financial resources/credit history and whether they had any criminal record. My mother was very prejudiced and had rentals, too.( She passed in 2002) She would tell Black families, the unit was rented when it was not. It was a military town so there was a very diverse population. I told her she could get in trouble, but she kept doing it. Was surprised I never had to visit her in jail.....hahhah My point is that character is more important than anything in choosing who you want to live in your rental IMHO. OMG, I hope lawsuits can't be retroactive and pass to her daughter.....

03-28-2015 09:06 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(03-28-2015 08:46 PM)sally Wrote:  Well if sally can get a room anyone can.

I don't think people are discriminated against as much as they claim to be. I could do some nasty bi-sexual, lesbian, midget transexual shit tonight and I guarantee you I'll find a job and apartment tomorrow if I needed to.

Yeah but you'd probably lie on your rental application. That's what I'd do. I'd make me sound so NOT gay/kinky. Smiley_emoticons_slash

Commando Cunt Queen
03-28-2015 10:45 PM

sally Away
sally

Earth to User, there is no section on rental applications asking who you have sex with. The only way you might sound kinky is if your name is Ben Dover or Alotta Butts.

03-28-2015 11:20 PM