Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SCIENTOLOGY -- GOING CLEAR
We watched the HBO documentary "Going Clear" last night. It's 2 hours long and a great watch, if you like documentaries and insider observations.

I was very familiar with L. Ron Hubbard, was somewhat familiar with a few of Scientology's tenets, and had read about the constant harassment of Scientologists who left the church.

Well, that's just the tip of the iceberg. What goes on in the name of Scientology is some truly freaky, uncool, probably criminal shit.

And, after literally blackmailing the IRS with 2000+ simultaneous (yet frivolous) lawsuits that would have tied all of their agents up in court for years, Scientology was granted religious status back in 1993. So, for the last two decades the head of the "church" is carrying out all of that freaky, uncool, highly profitable shit without paying a dime in tax and instead investing the revenue in "church" real estate. The church of Scientology boasts assets of well over a billion dollars. I think Scientology may be the biggest and oddest scam that I've ever read or heard about, though the ones doing the scamming seem to fully believe in the righteousness of their cause.

It was very interesting to get a first hand look into Scientology's influence and hold on John Travolta and Tom Cruise. Scientologists aren't allowed to view material that's critical of the organization and John Travolta claims he hasn't watched the documentary and has no cause to -- he doesn't think that Tom Cruise is likely to watch it either. Too bad, they really need to open their eyes, IMO.

Tom Cruise's Scientology recruitment video; Scientology's brain scramble on full display.

Anybody watched Going Clear or have any thoughts on Scientology?
Have it on DVR and have not yet seen it myself, but Mr. Bee watched it and pronounced all of them "Fucking Nut Jobs". Cannot wait to watch. I call it a cult. Just waiting for them to brew up some Kool-Aid, all in the name of their religion.
The South Park thumbnail of what Scientology is was pretty spot on.

And here is good old L. Ron saying it in his own words:

I remember years ago seeing Tom interviewed by Matt Lauer and it was the first time I had seen that side of Tom. I thought he was a goddamn nutjob and it totally changed how I viewed him ever after.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I never liked his science fiction.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
What? How can you not love spaceships that are IDENTICAL to DC-8's?
It all seems perfectly logical and plausable to me.
(04-07-2015, 01:09 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Have it on DVR and have not yet seen it myself, but Mr. Bee watched it and pronounced all of them "Fucking Nut Jobs". Cannot wait to watch. I call it a cult. Just waiting for them to brew up some Kool-Aid, all in the name of their religion.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on some of the revelations of former long time members and top executives after you watch it, QueenBee.

I thought Paul Haggis' reaction to finally getting over the bridge and finding out the meaning of Scientology -- after 30 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars invested -- was priceless.

I feel for Scientologists who were born into it. They don't know any different and the organization does everything possible to keep it that way for the rest of their lives.
HoTD, Will probably not get to see it for another couple days. Looking forward to a discussion on it.
I remember seeing the book Dianetics on the shelves years back..before the Interwebz. I had a brief desire to read it, but thought it too Science Fiction way back years before people figured they were all nuts.
When that video first surfaced of Tommy C. Scientology threatened youtube and youtube had to take it down. I got to see it before the threats were issued. I nearly pissed my pants watching it, by the time I forwarded the link onto friends, they couldn't view it.

On 60 minutes here in Australia, it showed a high up member of the group that was close friends to the leader who had left. It also showed footage of how the cult members would show up on his doorstep and yell and harrass him in a group.

Of course they are nice to Tom and John, they would be treated like royalty and their egos pandered to. But there is allegations of abuse, violence and the murder of the leaders wife. You should never ignore these type of allegations, you have to face it otherwise, you are nothing more than a deaf dumb and blind monkey.

The other day I was channel surfing and this preacher was saying on the Rod Parsley Show, if you send $150 God can despatch an angel to answer your prayer request. But to get the angel you have to send that money. Of course he was referring to a little pendant you get, but the way he was presenting it and saying it, was that God was literally going to despatch an angel for you, but you had to send the money or no angel for you! I am a Christian, but I question everything, I am a truth seeker, and growing and learning all the time. I used to get sucked in by these people when I was young and naive. I am not that person today, but I still can get the wool pooled over my eyes from time to time.

Tom and John refusing to accept evidence, are in denial and don't want it to be true. They are not living their lives in authenticity. The problem is, their decision is impacting negatively on many other people. They have responsibility to do the right thing.
(04-07-2015, 08:56 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Tom and John refusing to accept evidence, are in denial and don't want it to be true. They are not living their lives in authenticity. The problem is, their decision is impacting negatively on many other people. They have responsibility to do the right thing.

Yeah, they really are the faces of Scientology and probably the organization's most effective recruitment assets. Sadly, they appear to be largely clueless in regards to where they've planted their faces and asses.

The documentary very briefly and indirectly addressed the contention that Travolta and Cruise had a responsibility to leave and condemn the Church of Scientology.

Cruise, at least, has to know that members are assaulted, and members make only 40 cents per hour for their mandatory labor, and that members who leave are subjected to intense stalking and harassment. But, could he and Travolta truly look at the story objectively and admit that they'd been such gullible dipshits?

Plus, people interviewed in the documentary indicated that Travolta had benefited deeply from Scientology's stong-arm tactics in fending off lawsuits; those lawsuits filed by men who claimed that they had been wronged or harmed by Travolta in some kind of gay relationships or encounters.

Anyway, I hope the IRS is prompted to view Scientology's "non-profit religious organization" status and make an appropriate change.
I find it a bit confusing and amusing when people say Scientology is bat shit crazy then go to a large building on Sunday and eat the flesh and drink the blood of a Jewish zombie.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.