Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
An example of media hype
Here is a youtube video of the chain of events as they unfolded about a statement Scott Walker made it happens on both sides but this is a prime example of why different sources are so out of touch with reality.

Here is the actual quote Walker made:

"I’ll give you an example. I’m pro-life, I’ve passed pro-life legislation. We defunded Planned Parenthood, we signed a law that requires an ultrasound. Which, the thing about that, the media tried to make that sound like that was a crazy idea. Most people I talk to, whether they’re pro-life or not, I find people all the time who’ll get out their iPhone and show me a picture of their grandkids’ ultrasound and how excited they are, so that’s a lovely thing. I think about my sons are 19 and 20, you know we still have their first ultrasound picture. It’s just a cool thing out there.

We just knew if we signed that law, if we provided the information, that more people if they saw that unborn child would, would make a decision to protect and keep the life of that unborn child.”
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Pure quote or media-hyped quote, Scott Walker's words and position on abortion rub me equally wrong.

You don't like the state and the government requiring you to pay certain taxes. You don't like the Fed requiring health care coverage for all citizens. You don't like the Fed/state/local authorities mandating educational testing policies.

But, you think it's beautiful and cool that Walker and the religious right require women to get ultrasounds in attempt to dissuade them from doing what they want with their bodies and lives (by getting legal abortions)?

Sometimes I think you feel that a lot of people don't see the big picture as clearly as you do, Dr. M. I think it's probably more that people see a different picture just as clearly. It all depends on the angle and the lens.
I read that and saw how that statement took on a life of its own; kinda like 'whisper down the lane'. IMO, his well intentioned remarks had a hidden agenda behind them.
I'm not a fan of media hype. For anyone. Scott walker was just an example no matter how the example of media hype may make you say "but look at this instead"
(05-29-2015, 10:36 AM)Maggot Wrote: We defunded Planned Parenthood, we signed a law that requires an ultrasound. Which, the thing about that, the media tried to make that sound like that was a crazy idea. Most people I talk to, whether they’re pro-life or not, I find people all the time who’ll get out their iPhone and show me a picture of their grandkids’ ultrasound and how excited they are, so that’s a lovely thing. I think about my sons are 19 and 20, you know we still have their first ultrasound picture. It’s just a cool thing out there.

We just knew if we signed that law, if we provided the information, that more people if they saw that unborn child would, would make a decision to protect and keep the life of that unborn child.”

He sounds proud that he helped to defund Planned Parenthood. Planned parenthood helps countless women for a variety of things, not necessarily birth control & abortion.

Did he help to pass a law that requires women to view their ultrasounds before getting an abortion? If so, that's just sick & twisted. I don't feel familiar with any of this so that's why I ask.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Here's the skinny on the bill that Walker passed back in 2013

Gov. Scott Walker quietly signed a contentious Republican bill Friday that would require women seeking abortions to undergo an ultrasound and ban doctors who lack admitting privileges at nearby hospitals from performing the procedures.

Opponents contend legislators shouldn't force women to undergo any medical procedure and the bill will force two abortion clinics where providers lack admitting privileges to shut their doors. The law takes effect Monday. Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin and the American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit within hours of the signing alleging the bill is unconstitutional and asking for a temporary restraining order blocking the measure.

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Justice, which defends state laws, said agency attorneys would review the lawsuit and respond in court.

The bill is part of a broad GOP push to dramatically curtail abortions nationally.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/wi...z3bYMMJs3k

Holy shit!

Forcing women to have an ultrasound before they abort and trying to draw a correlation to proud parents/grandparents showing off an ultrasound is absurd.
Oddly enough, while I think that defunding planned parenthood is a stupid and meanspirited way to do business, I don't disagree with having an ultrasound. It doesn't hurt, it won't change the mind of someone who is intent on abortion, and there are a couple people I know of who have used abortion in lieu of birth control more than once. I don't think abortion is a decision that should be made lightly or without considering the consequences to one's own psyche.
The caveat, of course, is that I have a penis. Therefore it isn't really my business.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Well, the idea behind mandating ultra-sounds for abortion-seekers wasn't only to REQUIRE that women see the fetus and possibly reconsider, it was very much about shutting down Planned Parenthood clinics which aren't licensed or funded to offer ultrasounds.

Anyway, I get Maggot's point. He believes that the media presumptuously tied an unrelated comment about the cool beauty of ultra-sounds to Walker's position/law in regards to ultra-sounds for abortion-seekers.

Like Zero, I think Walker indeed went on his "ultra-sounds are beautiful cool" soapbox for a reason other than his belief that ultra-sounds are beautiful cool. I think that reason does correlate to his anti-abortion position. But, that's just my belief.

Some in the media seem to share that belief and correlated his recent comments on ultra-sounds to the abortion clinic ultra-sound bill -- which is not straight factual news reporting (I think that was Maggot's point).

Scott Walker is a dick. I don't like him. I don't like his point of view. I don't like his fricken attitude.
(05-29-2015, 02:37 PM)Donovan Wrote: Oddly enough, while I think that defunding planned parenthood is a stupid and meanspirited way to do business, I don't disagree with having an ultrasound. It doesn't hurt, it won't change the mind of someone who is intent on abortion, and there are a couple people I know of who have used abortion in lieu of birth control more than once. I don't think abortion is a decision that should be made lightly or without considering the consequences to one's own psyche.

I agree with you. But when the majority of women first realize that they're pregnant the embryo is about the size of a lentil and can't even be detected with a regular ultrasound. You would need a vaginal ultrasound and even then it's hard to see, the doctor can barely make it out. It's not like you're going to see a bouncing bundle of joy in there. So it's a big waste of time and money, you're not going to see shit.

But for those women who decide to wait 16 plus weeks to have an abortion then I'm 100% for them having an ultrasound. Anything to make it as hard as possible. Or a much simpler solution would be to just make it illegal after 16 weeks unless there is something wrong with the baby or it's a threat to the mother's health.

And if you're one of those freaks who don't realize you're pregnant until the baby is ready to fall out of your vagina at the grocery store, well tough shit for you.

Abortions aren't just for women who have been careless. Many of the women who choose to get one are doing so because their dream of having a perfect, healthy baby has turned into a nightmare. They have just learned their baby has horrible birth defects and I think it's wrong to force them through that. I'll never agree that it's okay. They've been through enough.
(05-29-2015, 02:33 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Holy shit!

Forcing women to have an ultrasound before they abort and trying to draw a correlation to proud parents/grandparents showing off an ultrasound is absurd.

I totally agree......Requiring ultrasound before seeking termination of pregnancy is just another "guise" to interfere with woman's right to choose.
The friggin' Government needs to stay out of the bedroom and again, these decisions should be made by the woman and her Physician.....and unless you have a uterus, just shut your mouth. Planned Parenthood is such a help to women in providing medical care, tests, birth control information, etc. to women who, ordinarily wouldn't be able to afford it. God knows, we need to spread the word world-wide on effective contraception and this is as much a man's responsibility as it is for a woman.....Planned Parenthood doesn't promote abortion anymore than any other service they provide. They counsel as to options available.

Face it, women have a choice when it comes to what happens to their bodies and politics should not even enter the debate. Period.......
Women don't have the right to choose. They need to be told what to do and have their meat cut up for them and their diapers changed... Wait... That's children. Nevermind.
(05-29-2015, 03:45 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Abortions aren't just for women who have been careless. Many of the women who choose to get one are doing so because their dream of having a perfect, healthy baby has turned into a nightmare. They have just learned their baby has horrible birth defects and I think it's wrong to force them through that. I'll never agree that it's okay. They've been through enough.

The only way to find out if your baby has birth defects is at the 16th week. They do a protein test and if it comes back high it's a sign of birth defects. In that case you would have an amniocentisis and ultrasound to confirm or rule out any birth defects and make a decision if it comes back positive. That's why I said the cut off date should be at the 16th week except in the case of birth defects or the mother's health at risk.

Before that they can't really tell. I was 3 months along when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. The embryo is so tiny that they had a damn probe up my coochie for an hour trying to find it. That's why that ultrasound law is stupid to impose on early pregnancies.
(05-29-2015, 03:57 PM)sally Wrote:
(05-29-2015, 03:45 PM)Duchess Wrote:

The only way to find out if your baby has birth defects is at the 16th week. They do a protein test and if it comes back high it's a sign of birth defects. In that case you would have an amniocentisis and ultrasound to confirm or rule out any birth defects and make a decision if it comes back positive. That's why I said the cut off date should be at the 16th week except in the case of birth defects or the mother's health at risk.

Before that they can't really tell. I was 3 months along when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. The embryo is so tiny that they had a damn probe up my coochie for an hour trying to find it. That's why that ultrasound law is stupid to impose on early pregnancies.
Pics?
Fucking yuk.

I was laying there thinking goddamn are they going to find this kid or not. It doesn't make any sense to force an ultrasound that early. The only reason I had the ultrasound was to make sure the embryo was in my uterus where it's supposed to be and not on my tubes since I got pregnant after having them tied for 13 years.
The issue is how the media takes words and changes them to fit their agenda.

The sports media does it too.
(05-29-2015, 04:14 PM)Maggot Wrote: The issue is how the media takes words and changes them to fit their agenda.

I understand, but it doesn't make it any less of stupid law. Trying to find a tad pole in a woman's uterus isn't going to persuade anyone from an abortion. And for those that are further along they shouldn't be having abortions anyway. Why can't they just make a cut off date, 16 weeks with some exceptions.