THE REBEL FLAG
Duchess Away
Administrator

RE: THE REBEL FLAG

I do too. I've liked them for as long as I've been listening to music.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
06-21-2015 05:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Jimbone Offline
Now with more intolerance!

(06-20-2015 08:37 PM)blueberryhill Wrote:  ....and no, Mr. Bone, Texas doesn't surprise me by barring the confederate flag on license tags....They don't want to be known as covert racists, etc.....Obtaining guns without permit and background checks is O.K. though,
according to their "no brains" politicians.

Yes, that must be it. Remember ALL those 'no brains' politicians are just being wily then, because if they wanted the flag they could have put it there.

And why do you keep repeating something that is not true? You can't go to legally purchase a gun in Texas without submitting to a background check. You can't do that in ANY state. Holy shit, you're either trolling or being intentionally obtuse.

06-21-2015 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

I'm not trolling or being intentionally obtuse Jimbone. But, I'm not following you.

You can, by federal law and in some states, go to a gun show and legally buy a gun from a private seller without submitting to a background check.

You can also legally acquire a gun without submitting to a background check if it's a gift from a family member.

So, yeah, there are politicians who continue to support the NRA in leaving the door open for legal acquisition of guns without background checks.

I don't understand where you're coming from when you keep insisting that you can't legally buy a gun anywhere without submitting to a background check.

06-21-2015 11:48 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(06-21-2015 11:48 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  You can, by federal law and in some states, go to a gun show and legally buy a gun from a private seller without submitting to a background check.

You can also legally acquire a gun without submitting to a background check if it's a gift from a family member.

This is very concerning & irresponsible in its own right. It bothers me a lot that any person in the land can acquire a weapon so easily. I want people to have to jump through hoops and pass with flying colors in order to get their hands on something that carries so much power.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
06-21-2015 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Carsman Offline
Bad Mocker

(06-20-2015 07:21 AM)Duchess Wrote:  

Proud symbol of the South or symbol of racism?

[Image: rebel-flag-cloth-bright.jpg]

It was a symbol of "brother killing brother", father or son killing each other. It was unthinkable, but sadly, it happened! Very high price to pay, as unfortunately there are some who still feel "the South will rise again"!

Carsman: Loves Living Large

Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!
06-21-2015 12:02 PM

Jimbone Offline

(06-21-2015 11:48 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I'm not trolling or being intentionally obtuse Jimbone. But, I'm not following you.

You can, by federal law and in some states, go to a gun show and legally buy a gun from a private seller without submitting to a background check.

So, yeah, there are politicians who continue to support the NRA in leaving the door open for legal acquisition of guns without background checks.

I don't understand where you're coming from when you keep insisting that you can't legally buy a gun anywhere without submitting to a background check.

What BBH was originally referring to was the Texas open carry law that was just passed. She's been stating over and over that someone can buy a gun and carry it without a background check or a permit in Texas. That is a false statement she keeps repeating.

I got carried away with my typing because we were heading out to a movie... but you're correct, the private transaction or family gifting can occur without the federal check.

Sorry for the error.

06-21-2015 02:36 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

No need to be sorry Jimbone; I was just asking for clarification.

You were wrong (unfortunately) when you posted that people can't legally purchase guns anywhere in this country without submitting to a background check.

And, blueberry was wrong when she posted that people in Texas can legally carry guns without background check or permit; the new state law instead gives those who passed a background check and obtained a permit to conceal carry the ability to openly carry their weapons too (as of next year, I think).

Maggot and Duchess, on the other hand, were right about Lynyrd Skynyrd's music being likable, IMO, regardless of the fact that the band used the Confederate flag in their imaging until 2012.

I liked their music when they used it and claimed it as a symbol of their heritage, and I like their music now that they've stopped using it because of the racial undertones and its hijacking/association with hate groups like the KKK and skinheads.

Which goes to prove that a man -- be he a Young Southern Man or a wisened Simple Man -- can be progressive without being a Liberal.

It took him a few decades, but Neil for the win. Smiley_emoticons_smile

06-21-2015 03:42 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

[Image: r-NIKKI-HALEY-SOUTH-CAROLINA-GOVERNOR-large570.jpg]

Republican South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley ^ is now calling for the Confederate flag to be removed from the state capitol. She'd previously defended it as a tribute to the state's history and heritage.

"That flag, while an integral part of our past, does not represent the future of our great state," Haley said Monday. Haley said there's no need to "declare a winner and a loser" or interpret the flag in any one way, noting South Carolinians are free to fly the Confederate flag on their personal property if they so choose.

"But the statehouse is different, and the events of this past week (racially-motivated mass murder at a black church) call on us to look at this in a different way," she said.

Haley said she would call a special legislative session if South Carolina lawmakers don't take up the issue of the Confederate flag this session.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and others joined the governor in calling for the flag to come down. Graham previously said the flag "is part of who we are," but that he would be "fine" with taking the symbol down.

Ref: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/22...37644.html
---------------------------
I think it's a good move.

Private citizens can display or fly or burn any flag they choose, as it should be. But, the government of a state (one with a black population of over 25% no less) continuing to fly the Confederate flag over the capitol just seems backwards, to me.

It's a symbol of the past that should not be forgotten. But, I don't see any compelling reason to continue flying or saluting it as if it's symbolic of the present or future.

06-22-2015 04:56 PM

Jimbone Offline

The story of the Confederate Flag over the capital in SC starts in the 60's when a Democrat governor ordered it flown. **Edit** (had dates wrong, thought it happened in the late 90's) in 2000, the SC legislature and Republican governor ordered it removed from flying over the capital, and it was only to be flown at the Confederate Soldiers Memorial that sits on capital grounds. That memorial was dedicated all the way back 1879.

That seemed an appropriate place for the flag to me, as I've commonly seen the Confederate flag flying at many Civil War memorials. In that context it is very difficult to argue it is a symbol of hate or racism in my opinion. It's a historical flag flying at a historical site or site commemorating history.

But, it's for the state to decide. If this brings comfort and keeps people calm, so be it. But someone can just as easily argue the Confederate Memorial should be off-site as well. Maybe that's next.

Remember that same flag was flying at the monument when the SC Governor of Indian descent was elected, then re-elected. It was flying when SC elected a black man to the US Senate overwhelmingly. I'm not saying there isn't racism anymore, but SC has certainly demonstrated electorally that it's made strides against it.

This seems a little knee jerk to me... the flag flying anywhere wasn't what drove that asshole to kill people.

06-22-2015 08:30 PM

F.U. Offline
Mock Elder

(06-22-2015 04:56 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  [Image: r-NIKKI-HALEY-SOUTH-CAROLINA-GOVERNOR-large570.jpg]

Republican South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley ^ is now calling for the Confederate flag to be removed from the state capitol. She'd previously defended it as a tribute to the state's history and heritage.

"That flag, while an integral part of our past, does not represent the future of our great state," Haley said Monday. Haley said there's no need to "declare a winner and a loser" or interpret the flag in any one way, noting South Carolinians are free to fly the Confederate flag on their personal property if they so choose.

"But the statehouse is different, and the events of this past week (racially-motivated mass murder at a black church) call on us to look at this in a different way," she said.

Haley said she would call a special legislative session if South Carolina lawmakers don't take up the issue of the Confederate flag this session.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and others joined the governor in calling for the flag to come down. Graham previously said the flag "is part of who we are," but that he would be "fine" with taking the symbol down.

Ref: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/22...37644.html
---------------------------
I think it's a good move.

Private citizens can display or fly or burn any flag they choose, as it should be. But, the government of a state (one with a black population of over 25% no less) continuing to fly the Confederate flag over the capitol just seems backwards, to me.

It's a symbol of the past that should not be forgotten. But, I don't see any compelling reason to continue flying or saluting it as if it's symbolic of the present or future.

When I read the bold/underlined part my thoughts were , Once again doing something to please the minority and forgetting what the majority might think.
I am not saying they shouldn't do it. After all its their state, I don't live there. So who am I to tell them what they should do?

06-22-2015 08:48 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

^ Your thought and assumption at reading the underlined part is a reflection of you and how you think, not necessarily the majority of the people in South Carolina or anywhere else.

You fail to consider that many non-blacks also wish to see the Confederate flag displayed in a historical/personal context, rather than flying over the state capitol today.

It's not black vs. white or minority vs majority for a lot of us, F.U., there's more to consider than numbers. But, your entitled to your simplistic view and your say, just like everybody else.

06-22-2015 09:47 PM

F.U. Offline
Mock Elder

Thanks HotD. That's the nicest way I've ever ben told to STFU simpleton. LMAO.

06-22-2015 09:51 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I don't want you to STFU, F.U.

If you did, I'd not be LMAO nearly as often.

06-22-2015 09:52 PM

F.U. Offline
Mock Elder

I'm just funning with ya HotD. I laugh at myself often , glad I can make you laugh too.
Actually I thought about that post before I made it and thought, you are really setting yourself up here bud. I said WTH and posted it anyway.

06-22-2015 09:56 PM