THE REBEL FLAG
Jimbone Offline
Now with more intolerance!

RE: THE REBEL FLAG

No, I was actually just poking fun at Nazi hate groups.

ETA: that's why I used the pictures I did.

06-23-2015 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-23-2015 01:30 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:  It is a ban . . . banning it from flying at the State Capital.

I got the impression that you were suggesting the Confederate flag was being banned from society, which it's not.

I don't see the elected state legislature choosing to discontinue flying it as them "banning" themselves from doing so. But, that's just my view.

I can see how it could be considered "banned" in that limited context.

06-23-2015 01:48 PM

Jimbone Offline

Just noticed I have a Confederate flag on my truck. Go figure.

06-23-2015 01:57 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Hahaha!

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
06-23-2015 02:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-23-2015 01:57 PM)Jimbone Wrote:  Just noticed I have a Confederate flag on my truck. Go figure.

Now that is shocking, Jimbone. Truly. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Do you identify with its historical symbolism of white supremacy, and/or do you just consider yourself a proud and rebellious Southerner?

06-23-2015 02:15 PM

BlueTiki Offline
Sincerity Faker

Like New Hampshire's or the Colonial flag, I see the the Confederate flag as a symbol of revolution . . . a revolution testing the principles and forgiveness of a new Republic.

To see it solely as a racist symbol, to me, is myopic and dangerous.

An old white man dressed as a plantation owner hawking chicken is far more offensive to me.

Like Aunt Jemima without a bandana.

There were far more whites who didn't own slaves, in the South, than slave owners.

I wonder what they were fighting for?

06-23-2015 02:17 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

My lawn jockey is crying.

06-23-2015 02:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(06-23-2015 11:29 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Did you read the full post Gunnar?

Does it say that the change is being proposed based on the ideals of the ignorant few, the white supremists?

Does it say that the change is being proposed to piss off those who are ignorant in regards to the flag's history and what it symbolizes in its original context?

It doesn't say that. It says that I agree with the politicians calling for the policy change because I don't think South Carolina is a state that's still fighting to subjugate blacks or rebelling against the abolition of slavery. So, I can understand why it's time to stop flying on government grounds a flag that, to many, symbolizes and glorifies that long lost fight.

Can't please everyone and I understand that you don't think it would be a good change in policy, for your own reasons.

I think the policy change may require a 23 majority vote in state congress. In any case, it's the decision of the state's elected leaders whether it should stay or go.
By citing it, it's validated in the eyes of John Q. Public.

06-23-2015 02:29 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

They were fighting to retain the right to own slaves.

They were fighting against Lincoln and the Unionists who were moving to do away with slavery.

They wanted to secede from the Union because they did not want to give up slave-owning rights. Even those who didn't own slaves were culturally accustomed to blacks being defined and treated legally as lesser and inferior to them.

They were fighting because they were regionally loyal.

Plus, there was all that cotton picking to do and even white folks who didn't own slaves feared that their economy would be destroyed if slave labor was abolished.

I don't see the Confederate Flag as being solely a racist symbol today. I think it means different things to different people. I think a lot of people don't even know the history behind it and what the Confederates themselves described as their sole reason for fighting to secede, though it's all clearly documented and not subjective.

Historically speaking, it's not debatable that the Confederate Flag was the symbol of those fighting to keep slavery alive and keep blacks from achieving equal legal standing in this country.

06-23-2015 02:31 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-23-2015 02:29 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:  By citing it, it's validated in the eyes of John Q. Public.

hah Alright.

06-23-2015 02:33 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(06-23-2015 02:31 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I think a lot of people don't even know the history behind it

I don't, not really, nope. I have always associated it with mainly the South because that's where I've seen it the most (I've seen it here too) but I don't think I've ever given any thought to it being racist or standing for white supremacy. I've seen it in the back window of plenty of pickups and I always think "hick".

I believe that states should have the right to do what they think is best for their state. I wouldn't begrudge them that.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
06-23-2015 02:39 PM

Jimbone Offline

(06-23-2015 02:15 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Now that is shocking, Jimbone. Truly. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Do you identify with its historical symbolism of white supremacy, and/or do you just consider yourself a proud and rebellious Southerner?

LOL, no, it's not what you think... I'm not white supremacist or a proud and rebellious Southern. Not even a racist, as some have suggested here...

I was taking off the registration sticker ago put the new one on, then glanced up at a window cling I had put on in January:

[Image: PdLQqFJm.jpg]

ETA: The Civil War Trust is a non-profit that purchases and saves historical land from being developed, or it buys developed land and returns it to its Civila War era state. Most of the land is in or around existing Civil War battlefield sites, so they generally acquire the land and then turn it over to whoever runs the park (National Park Service or other state agency). They also run great educational programs for people of all ages, and have a really good website and apps for those interested in learning more about the Civil War.

I support them because at a young age I spent time at a Civll War battlefield (Gettysburg), and I think it was there I developed a real love of all history. I want to make sure other little bones have the same chance years from now.

Now I'm not going to take it down, because I don't find its use in any way, shape, or form offensive. But I guess someone could argue it is. That's what makes this all seem a little knee jerk to me... but the jerking continues, as now eBay is banning Confederate flag items too, along with Walmart and Sears.

Your move Amazon.

06-23-2015 02:46 PM

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(06-23-2015 02:31 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  They were fighting to retain the right to own slaves.

They were fighting against Lincoln and the Unionists who were moving to do away with slavery.

They wanted to secede from the Union because they did not want to give up slave-owning rights.
Even those who didn't own slaves were culturally accustomed to blacks being defined and treated legally as lesser and inferior to them.

They were fighting because they were regionally loyal.

Plus, there was all that cotton picking to do and even white folks who didn't own slaves feared that their economy would be destroyed if slave labor was abolished.

I don't see the Confederate Flag as being solely a racist symbol today. I think it means different things to different people. I think a lot of people don't even know the history behind it and what the Confederates themselves described as their sole reason for fighting to secede, though it's all clearly documented and not subjective.

Historically speaking, it's not debatable that the Confederate Flag was the symbol of those fighting to keep slavery alive and keep blacks from achieving equal legal standing in this country.
And then there was that whole "States Rights" thing too which is conveniently left out of EVERY conversation about the Civil War. SC even issued a "Declaration of Causes" along with their "Article of Secessession."

I think supporters of the flag and those who want it taken down should both protest.

06-23-2015 02:51 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

I snapped at my son two days ago. Totally inappropriate (remember though, the kid is a year and a half away from adulthood...not 10 or something). I was trying to get him to school and he had seemingly left everything but his body in the house. Went to get socks for him. Went to get backpack. Check. Finally, he says "oh crap, can you get my phone"?

Me losing it: "do I LOOK like your nigger"? We'd never talked about the word before but he called me a racist all the way to school while I tried to explain my feelings about why some blacks are hypocritical about the word, I asked what he thought of "honky". It was an interesting conversation although being a know-it-all teen, his mother is still a racist. Wonder if he'll shoot up a church one day?

Later that day, Obama said nigger...but he wasn't CALLING anyone a nigger. Since I was referring to myself, I think I get a pass like the POTUS. Smiley_emoticons_slash

Commando Cunt Queen
06-23-2015 02:56 PM