Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal?
(04-22-2015, 12:26 PM)Maggot Wrote: Most people do not trust Iran that is reality. I would believe Israel before believing Washington.

I trust that, as effed up as it is in some ways, Washington is more concerned about Americans' security and foreign interests than is Israel. I understand that you disagree and I can respect that.

It's my belief that the US should put its best interests first while doing the least damage to others to secure those interests. Israel should do the same. Iran should do the same. It's complex considering all of the countries, alliances, and organizations in play. Our partners on one stage are sometimes our opponents on another these days.

There are millions of people the world over who would not agree with you that Israel is more trustworthy than Iran, or that Israel is more trustworthy than Washington. But, trust isn't the issue for me. These negotiations are not based on trust. A nuclear deal with Iran will not be finalized with a handshake.

If a deal is made and kept, it benefits everyone IMO. If a deal is made and broken, we've lessened the risk up until the breaking-point and we go back to sanctions, probably heavier ones. Thus, for me, not moving forward because one doesn't trust one's own government or Iran under those conditions is a fear-based stance which only ensures stagnation and/or war, nothing else.

I appreciate the various perspectives and the debate too Mags. It'll be interesting to see if the proposed deal becomes reality and how it plays out. If it doesn't become reality, and I really hope it does, then we remain where we're at now and I can live with that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Iran and the day they married the bomb. - by HairOfTheDog - 04-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal? - by Carsman - 07-29-2015, 08:40 AM