Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal?
(07-16-2015, 05:50 PM)Jimbone Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 03:24 PM)username Wrote: However, while I agree this may well go the way of N. Korea, I also believe Iran was shortly going to have a nuclear weapon. I don't think sanctions were going to prevent that. As O said yesterday, it was either a deal or stopping them by force (war). Anybody feel like going to war with Iran?

He only presented a false choice. What was wrong with a third choice: no deal?

If they are going to get the nuke anyway - which I think most everyone believes they will - why even bother with the deal? Why not just keep sanctions in place while they get what everyone believes they are going to get anyway?

Answer: $$$$$$$

I suppose we could have kept our sanctions in place...while we watched them develop a nuclear weapon. Israel would still be freaking out, we'd have to make a decision about what we were going to do to prevent that (again, start bombing Iran?) or make some diplomatic "agreement" that may well turn out to be something of a farce but brings our gas prices down to $2+ a gallon!

I just think it was rock/hard place. Absent war, we weren't going to stop them from developing a nuclear weapon. Maybe....(I'm naive) but maybe....this will slow them down a bit while they bask in their new found economic windfall.

I don't think we could "win" this without once again, being put in the position of intervening militarily. I think if Israel/BB (or others in the region) find this whole arrangement unacceptable, they should initiate military action. Recent history shows that we don't exactly create stability/democracy when we insert ourselves militarily in to the middle east. Especially when we're leading the charge.

I'm tired of (and disappointed by) our efforts to police the middle east. Sanctions were clearly helping to ruin their economy--but not deferring them from developing nuclear weapons. I say let one of our allies in the region take the lead. If they initiate some other action, I'd agree to supporting our allies but I don't think WE (the U.S.) should always have to lead on these issues.
Commando Cunt Queen

Messages In This Thread
RE: Iran and the day they married the bomb. - by username - 07-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal? - by Carsman - 07-29-2015, 08:40 AM