Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUFFET OF SNACKS

What kind of snacks do you like to see your host have out while you're a guest in their home?

Have you ever had a cheese straw?

Do you have a favorite finger food?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(12-15-2015, 02:30 PM)Duchess Wrote:

What kind of snacks do you like to see your host have out while you're a guest in their home?

Have you ever had a cheese straw?

Do you have a favorite finger food?
Scrimps! other than that I'm not very picky.
I like the staples. Pepperoni/cheese/cracker platter, olive/pickle platter, shrimp dip. Stuff that doesn't make too much of a mess, because I'm a fucking slob at parties.
A cheese straw?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Meatballs in a crock pot, maybe some rolls if the want a grinder. A finger roll platter goes for maybe 50.00. order them early though. A pig on a rotisserie in front of a fire with an apple in its mouth, turned by scantily clad Asians in hula skirts. Basic stuff.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Make my scantily clad asians female.
(12-15-2015, 04:02 PM)ramseycat Wrote: A cheese straw?

I didn't know either but people were raving about them so I got interested until I saw the effort required. It was like blah, blah, blah -

In a food processor, add the butter, cheese, flour, salt and cayenne and process until a smooth dough is formed. Scoop it into a cookie press, fitted with a flat ridged tip. Pipe the dough in 2-inch strips onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. (Alternatively, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes and roll on a lightly floured surface into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into smaller rectangles, about 2 by 3-inches, with a pizza wheel or sharp knife.) Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.

[Image: cheese-straws-sl.jpg?itok=IVKFwfe8]
Cheese straws are over cooked bread sticks made with a lot of cheese, crunchy and a bit salty, I can take or leave them.
I like meatish snacks and thats the kind of thing I put out along with a veggie and cheese tray, chips and dips.
Depending on the crowd the bar will lean to beer or whine but both are always available here.
If you don't have wings or a wing dip, fuck you, you're just having a meeting, not a party.
(12-15-2015, 07:01 PM)crash Wrote: If you don't have wings or a wing dip, fuck you, you're just having a meeting, not a party.
Yeah, wings are too messy. They're great for watching a game with some friends but for a social gathering I wouldn't go near them.
If you can't eat wing dip without needing a shower, you're not welcome in my house anyway. Jesus fucking wept..
If you're asking us for ideas then I think something that you could handle would be both a cheese and charcuterie plate with all the garnishes like pickles, olives, fruit and crusty French bread. Some type of dip and crudites, a simple shrimp cocktail platter and some kind of hot appetizer like jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon or oysters Rockefeller or stuffed mushrooms. Then arrange your crappy cheese straws all around the table.

JK I've had cheese straws and they're quite delicious. I think they're a good idea for guests to snack on and a little more sophisticated than putting out Cheetos.

Also a big punch bowl full of potent eggnog. No one has ever invited me to their house and offered me eggnog. Or hot buttered rum. Either one will work.
(12-16-2015, 04:23 PM)crash Wrote: If you can't eat wing dip without needing a shower, you're not welcome in my house anyway. Jesus fucking wept..
Jesus was a cunt.

I ask every year. hah I've made your uncle's wings before but this time it's just going to be some simple snacks. I have some friends coming over late Christmas morning and they are only staying for a very few hours. Drinks, snacks, gift giving. I'm going to do something with prosciutto and dates (or figs). I have a shit ton of different cheeses and crackers/dips and as I was wandering around the deli I saw some cherry peppers, I think they were, stuffed with ham& cheese, I'm going to get some of those. After I read your idea about the shrimp I decided I may do that too. I'm not doing anything elaborate, I doubt I'll even really get dressed, I'll be in loungewear.

Oopsie. Failure to quote.
Come on over Sally, We have eggnog and a selections of Rums and Burbons
I'm the only one in my family who likes eggnog and it's so fattening that I wouldn't buy it just for myself, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered it.
I love deviled eggs and they're good any time of day.

You can dress them up with wasabi, or bacon, or green olives, or just a little paprika.

Anyway, they're great with Bloody Marys. And this thread is making me hungry.
(12-16-2015, 07:00 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I ask every year. hah I've made your uncle's wings before but this time it's just going to be some simple snacks. I have some friends coming over late Christmas morning and they are only staying for a very few hours. Drinks, snacks, gift giving. I'm going to do something with prosciutto and dates (or figs). I have a shit ton of different cheeses and crackers/dips and as I was wandering around the deli I saw some cherry peppers, I think they were, stuffed with ham& cheese, I'm going to get some of those. After I read your idea about the shrimp I decided I may do that too. I'm not doing anything elaborate, I doubt I'll even really get dressed, I'll be in loungewear.

If they're coming over late Christmas morning you could do brunch. That's another thing I wish someone would invite me over for. The possibilities are endless what you can do for brunch and a lot of it can be made ahead of time like quiche and casseroles.

Also be sure to have a bloody mary bar with all the fixins.
Saved this hot air balloon from crashing into a tree by being in the right place at the right time, being very appreciative the husband and wife, both pilots invited me to the most amazing picnic meal they always have after a flight. 10 kinds of cheese, crackers of all types, bagels and cream cheese, assorted fruit, cookies and of course copious amounts of champagne and other booze. We became good friends and they would let me skydive from the balloon in our neighborhood which was not exactly legal.

It's amazing how food tastes much better when you are outside and or camping.