Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Making a Murderer -- DID STEVEN AVERY REALLY KILL TERESA HALBACH?
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: Making a Murderer -- DID STEVEN AVERY REALLY KILL TERESA HALBACH?

(08-23-2016 01:00 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  This is a case where because his IQ is so low, he truly may not know the difference between right and wrong.

I personally believe he does know that what he did was very wrong.

It'll be interesting to see if the Hallbach's want him prosecuted again.

One thing that the Netflix series left out is the content of Brendan's recorded calls to his mother. If the prosecution and family do decide to retry him, I wonder if they'll use them at the new trial since the taped confession you posted won't be admissible.

The day after his videotaped confession, Brendan called his mom. In that call, along with telling her they did it (this was before he recanted), he tells his mom he told police about how Steven used to touch him and it made him uncomfortable. She seems upset that he didn't tell her about it before and he seems confused because he didn't stop Steven.

He asks about what will happen if Steven gets pissed off if he takes her advice and tells the police how Steven made him participate in the killing and wonders how much trouble he'll get in for cleaning up reddish black stuff from the garage. He also talks about how Steven 'fake pumped' other boys in the family and alludes to some other sexual impropriety between Steven and a girl as well.

It would probably be difficult to use the call records though. A few months later, during his psych eval, he answered 'no' when asked if he'd ever been sexually assaulted and it's hard to tell what's fact or fiction from Dassey (who was deemed highly suggestible by the psychologist who evaluated him, with an IQ above competency level in the lower average range). Avery's new attorney denied the molestation allegations on his behalf a few months ago.

I'll be surprised if Brendan Dassey is retried even if prosecutors firmly believe he helped Steven Avery kill Teresa Halbach given Dassey's unreliability and the physical evidence tying back to only Avery (unless possibly if Teresa's family absolutely insists on it).

Refs:
Dassey calls transcripts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1nzus-...5uRTg/view
Dassey psych eval: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1nzus-...RfQ2s/view

08-24-2016 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

The judge ordered Dassy be released pending his appeal.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Jud...38936.html

11-14-2016 04:16 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

^ Thanks for the update, Gunnar.

I read that Dassey's family was hoping to have him home by Thanksgiving and that he was supposed to be released tomorrow. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen now.

[Image: 1115-brendan-dassey-neutral-netflix-6.jpg]

A federal appeals court just ruled ... Wisconsin prison officials should ignore the ruling of a lower court, ordering the release of Dassey.

The appeals court ruled it would be wrong to release the 27-year-old until prosecutors have a chance to appeal the ruling that the conviction was unconstitutional because it was based on an involuntary confession.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/11/17/brendan-da...-murderer/

11-17-2016 03:23 PM

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

I guess I'm not upset that Dassey is being released. After all, he's been incarcerated for 10'years or so.

I still personally believe he participated and also believe his uncle most likely encouraged him to do so, even if maybe he wouldn't have done something like that on his own.

11-17-2016 03:28 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Yeah, he's served more time than a lot of convicted killers, actually.

But, Dassey's not being released -- at least, not for now. The appeals court overruled the lower court's ruling to release him pending appeal. So, Dassey will remain in prison until the State of Wisconsin can make a case challenging the lower court's ruling that Dassey's confession was involuntary. That could take quite some time.

If the Appeals court finds that the confession was involuntary, the State can either decide to drop the charges and set him free or re-try him for the murder (without being able to use his confession as evidence in the re-trial). I don't think they'd re-try without the confession, but it's possible.

11-17-2016 03:40 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(11-17-2016 03:28 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  I guess I'm not upset that Dassey is being released. After all, he's been incarcerated for 10'years or so.

I still personally believe he participated and also believe his uncle most likely encouraged him to do so, even if maybe he wouldn't have done something like that on his own.

He's not going anywhere.

The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals just ruled that Dassey's confession wasn't coerced or unreasonably obtained, by a vote of 4 to 3.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tands.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/arts/....html?_r=0

12-09-2017 09:55 AM