Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Cliven Bundy vs. Government land management
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: Cliven Bundy vs. Government land management

"I have to say, Mr. DeLemus, that you unfortunately are blinded by the information you choose to believe," she said. Instead of advising Bundy to abide by court orders to pay 20 years of overdue grazing fees or let agents round up his cattle from public land, Judge Navarro said DeLemus became "a bully vigilante, threatening peacekeepers of the community."

DeLemus told the judge that he traveled cross-country with weapons because he'd heard that government snipers surrounded the Bundy home. He said he was willing to "take a bullet" to protect the family. "My concern was that someone would get hurt," he said, choking back tears. "It wasn't the cows. I didn't want that family injured. God will know in the end."

DeLemus cast himself as a martyr to his Christian beliefs and cited a biblical passage that there is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. "I may not have given it out there," he said of the standoff near Bunkerville, about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas. "I'm giving it now, in jail." Prison

DeLemus once ran for sheriff and mayor in his hometown of Rochester, New Hampshire, and served as a delegate to the Republican National Committee. His wife, Susan DeLemus, a former Republican state lawmaker, sat among Bundy supporters in court, where several waved and thanked DeLemus as he was led away. "We'll make it through this," she said later.

Bundy, two of his sons and two other defendants are due for trial later this year. Six others, including two other Bundy sons, may not be tried until early next year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bundy-stando...in-prison/

06-01-2017 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

He's a Marine that went off the deep end and is rightfully paying for his criminal action.

I'm glad he didn't kill anyone.

06-02-2017 09:53 AM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

He will get 4 yrs with good time minus the 16 months he has already served so he should be back on the street in 2 yrs 8 months. That'll teach him!

06-02-2017 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

I don't understand your reasoning or your calculation, Maggot.

DeLemus got sentenced to 87 months in federal prison, or 7.25 years. He's served 1.25 years already. So, he's got 6 years remaining to be served.

According to my understanding and calculation...........if he was given full good behavior credit for every year of his remaining 6-year sentence (max 54 days per year), that would shave off less than a year (324 days); the earliest he could be back on the street would be 5 years.

In any case, he'll have served several years before he's back on the street. And, when he's released as a convicted felon, he won't be able to unsuccessfully run for law enforcement or political office again. He won't be able to legally own firearms either.

If DeLemus has any sense whatsoever (which is questionable), his years of incarceration and the other serious repercussions will definitely teach him about the stupidity of his criminal actions, like taking the law into his hands, threatening and pointing loaded weapons at government and law enforcement officers and trying to use religion to justify it, intentionally violating firearms laws, changing his story and rescinding previous claims of remorse prior to sentencing, etc.

DeLemus was a major backer of Trump and served on one of his coalitions before he was arrested. His Tea Party supporters say they are going to lobby President Trump and AG Sessions to intervene on DeLemus' behalf (for a pardon, or a lighter sentence). Trump and Sessions take a lot of actions which I think display short-sighted and poor judgment, but I'd be very surprised if they were so ignorant as to put their own political asses on the line for Jerry.

06-02-2017 12:43 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

I'm taking 2 years off every 6 for good behavior. depending on the state and the leniency of the parole board. I don't understand how you could think that a criminal with even more violent crimes would not get the same treatment but that's fine too.

06-02-2017 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-02-2017 01:06 PM)Maggot Wrote:  I'm taking 2 years off every 6 for good behavior. depending on the state and the leniency of the parole board. I don't understand how you could think that a criminal with even more violent crimes would not get the same treatment but that's fine too.

I explained my understanding and calculation to you, Mags.

Maybe you're confused because you're trying to apply state parole board averages?

DeLemus was convicted of federal felonies.

ETA: I just found a federal sentencing calculator on-line. http://federal-prison.org/sentence-calculator/

Jerry's minimum remaining time behind bars comes out to just under 5 years if you punch in '87 months' sentence and '16 months' time already served. It assumes 100% credit for good conduct.

Even if he was able to get 12 months of it deferred to a halfway house, he wouldn't be on the street again until much longer than 2 years and 8 months.

06-02-2017 01:34 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

Bottom line is he should have found a better way to express his displeasure towards useless government intrusion. At least it didn't turn into a Waco or Ruby Ridge.

06-02-2017 04:00 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

It wasn't useless government intrusion, in my opinion. Not in the least.

But, I do agree that DeLemus and his armed militia should have a found a better way to protest it. DeLemus, the Bundys, and their militia members are lucky the rangers were patient and no one got killed; I agree with that too.

Breaking all kinds of laws and threatening law enforcement officers in attempt to protect the Bundys from being held accountable for 30-years of mooching was asinine and dangerous. Jerry's gonna have a lot of time in the federal pen to contemplate that. I hope Cliven, Ammon, Ryan and the other Bundy militia members end up getting as much or more time for caged self-reflection too.

06-03-2017 05:10 PM