Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1985 Anchorage Murder - Unsolved
[img]<a href=[/img][Image: Douggie%20pictures%20FB_zpsy9o7p3q4.png]" />
(08-14-2018, 03:49 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Thank you CM.  

Police sometimes release information regarding ongoing investigations when they want the public's help in solving the case.

Have they not made any direct attempts to solicit  leads and tips in all these years, aside from the linked article to generate new interest?  Is there a cold case detective assigned to the case?

Anyway, I'm very sorry Doug was killed and very much hope whomever is responsible is held accountable.
No new interest. Police said they have to have a reason to reopen the case due to budget cuts. Alaska HAD a cold case dept but due to budget cuts it was closed down. There was also a TV series on Alaska Cold Cases but that was also taken off the air due to budget cuts. The article came out in the Alaska Dispatch News on fathers day 2017. But no new leads. A Det Lantz Who was on the TV series I think it was Discovery TV offered to help but there is no money to be able to pay for his services.
(08-15-2018, 01:48 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Thank you for posting the docs and images, CM.

Based on the info you've presented, the homicide detectives should have looked very hard into Charlotte, Doug's ex.  If they didn't, there's something very weird going on, in my opinion.

She didn't like Doug, she stood to gain financially from his death, and she knew their son would not be at the home when the murderer  busted in and brutally killed Doug.  

Maybe investigators did investigate her thoroughly and ruled her out as being behind the murder?  Or, maybe she's their prime suspect but they lack evidence to charge her with anything.  I wish we knew more about the police force there back then, who was interrogated, and more about the investigation.

Do you know if Doug's financial assets end up going to his beneficiary son, as he'd stipulated?  Or did Charlotte manage to have it routed directly to her instead?

I agree with you on some of your points, maybe they didn't have enough evidence to actual have a charge stick. But the fact that she would be the only one to gain anything with his passing, should have been enough to put some heat on her. I mean it does seem pretty cut and dry to me. I don't know what the hold up would have been in the investigation. I mean really HOW BIG is Anchorage Alaska compared to other areas? 

And at this point its just seems wouldn't closure and knowing why this happened be BEST for everyone, including Robert?? 
(08-15-2018, 02:06 PM)CleavesMurder Wrote: No new interest. Police said they have to have a reason to reopen the case due to budget cuts. Alaska HAD a cold case dept but due to budget cuts it was closed down. There was also a TV series  on Alaska Cold Cases but that was also taken off the air due  to budget cuts.  The article came out in the Alaska Dispatch News on fathers day 2017. But no new leads.  A Det Lantz   Who was on the TV series  I think it was Discovery TV   offered to help but there is no money to be able to pay for his services.
https://press.discovery.com/uk/dsc/progr...cold-case/ Heres the link to what WAS the the TV series.
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news...0f31a.html
(08-15-2018, 02:19 PM)LytoMe Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 01:48 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Thank you for posting the docs and images, CM.

Based on the info you've presented, the homicide detectives should have looked very hard into Charlotte, Doug's ex.  If they didn't, there's something very weird going on, in my opinion.

She didn't like Doug, she stood to gain financially from his death, and she knew their son would not be at the home when the murderer  busted in and brutally killed Doug.  

Maybe investigators did investigate her thoroughly and ruled her out as being behind the murder?  Or, maybe she's their prime suspect but they lack evidence to charge her with anything.  I wish we knew more about the police force there back then, who was interrogated, and more about the investigation.

Do you know if Doug's financial assets end up going to his beneficiary son, as he'd stipulated?  Or did Charlotte manage to have it routed directly to her instead?

I agree with you on some of your points, maybe they didn't have enough evidence to actual have a charge stick. But the fact that she would be the only one to gain anything with his passing, should have been enough to put some heat on her. I mean it does seem pretty cut and dry to me. I don't know what the hold up would have been in the investigation. I mean really HOW BIG is Anchorage Alaska compared to other areas? 

And at this point its just seems wouldn't closure and knowing why this happened be BEST for everyone, including Robert?? 
I was told .... Charlottes mother went with her any time the police interviewed her. So possibly they couldn't get much out of her. Shes a nut case (still) and a very angry person (still). I believe the end of the case... because the Mother Ruth Cleaves just couldn't take it anymore after loosing her son..to just end it... .. the money was split between Robert his mother Charlotte and Ruth Cleaves... Who gave her portion back to Robert. Now Robert did say he inherited over 200K from his biological father (Doug Cleaves) and that the mother (Charlotte) always rubbed in his face that it was HER money. So I don't know if she perhaps had a life ins policy out on Doug Cleaves. There was also a rumor that someone was to pay the actual trigger puller 10 K but only paid him 3 k and then Charlotte and her boyfriend and Dougs son left Alaska and moved to Florida... Charlotte married Thomas Reas (ONE of the guys Doug mentioned in his hand written letter that he caught her in bed with ) and they changed Roberts last name to Reas. Anchorage is a large city up there. Ken Spadafora (retired Det ) knows EVERYTHING about the investigation.... But no one from the police force will give any information
(08-15-2018, 03:25 PM)CleavesMurder Wrote: I was told .... Charlottes mother went with her any time the police interviewed her.  So possibly they couldn't get much out of her. Shes a nut case (still) and a very angry person (still).  I believe the end of the case... because the Mother Ruth Cleaves just couldn't take it anymore after loosing her son..to just end it... .. the money was split between Robert  his mother Charlotte and Ruth Cleaves... Who gave her portion back to Robert.   Now Robert did say he inherited over 200K from his biological father (Doug Cleaves) and that the mother (Charlotte)  always rubbed in his face that it was HER money. So  I don't know if she perhaps had a life ins policy out on Doug Cleaves. There was also a rumor that someone was to pay the actual trigger puller 10 K  but only paid him 3 k  and then Charlotte and her boyfriend and Dougs son left Alaska and moved to Florida... Charlotte married Thomas Reas  (ONE  of the guys Doug mentioned in his hand written letter that he caught her in bed with ) and they changed Roberts last name to Reas.   Anchorage is a large city up there.    Ken Spadafora (retired Det ) knows EVERYTHING about the investigation.... But no one from the police force will give any information
Also Robert John Cleaves now Robert John Reas lives right next door to his mother , at 3445 Thoroughbred Road Wauchula Fl ,, and im SURE would never give up information about her and Tommy Reas to show their involvement in anything. Something was mention once about Charlotte and Tommy Reas being worried about the bullet casings left at the murder site... matching Tommy Reases gun....the Police are aware this was mentioned but never heard anything back / AND when ever anyone calls to check on the case. Theyre told .. its a cold case they would need new evidence to reopen it... and they wont give out any info because its a murder case.
Also... approx. 30 pages from the child custody case were sent to the Anchorage Police Dept ,,, SHOWING all the things that were being done to try and get Robert who was 2 at the time.... away from his father.   Who  .. ended up getting full custody of him.
Below is the CrimeStoppers post! They just posted this today! HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL come forward now.

http://www.anchoragecrimestoppers.com/si...D=1&ID=124
So glad to see that CrimeStoppers is covering Doug's murder case and hoping hard it leads to a break in the case LytoMe.

The case would make an interesting Dateline episode which would reach millions of people and might generate leads as well.

I imagine it's not easy to get a case featured on Dateline, but here's the email for the Dateline editor in case your or CM want to contact them: [email protected]
(08-23-2018, 02:20 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: So glad to see that CrimeStoppers is covering Doug's murder case and hoping hard it leads to a break in the case LytoMe.  

The case would make an interesting Dateline episode which would reach millions of people and might generate leads as well.

I imagine it's not easy to get a case featured on Dateline, but here's the email for the Dateline editor in case your or CM want to contact them:  [email protected]

THANK you, I will forward this onto Sue.