Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES
Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing

[Image: 05dc-kavanaughbriefing2-superJumbo-v3.jpg]

I just watched some clips from today's Senate confirmation hearing on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.  What a contentious shitshow, but very interesting.

Given the significance for the country (likely for decades to come) and the Republican Senate's refusal to hold a hearing for Obama's nominee Merrick Garland, I expected it to be loud and passionate.  That turned out to be an understated expectation.

Anyway, based on what I've read and heard:

For the Senators who oppose Kavanaugh, the likelihood that he'd be the deciding conservative vote in overturning or severely restricting Roe v. Wade is a big concern.  There's also major concern that Kavanaugh would be  hesitant to restrict Executive powers or hold a president accountable for alleged crimes if a case was brought to the Supreme Court (based on his statements in the years after he assisted in impeaching Bill Clinton) .

For those who support Kavanaugh, the likelihood that he'll always rule in favor of pro-religious based policy, conservative positions,  and corporate interests appears to make him an ideal nominee.

Here's a live-blogged summary of today's proceedings:  http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/09/live-b...g-day-one/

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPREME COURT JUSTICE SCALIA -- FOUND DEAD - by HairOfTheDog - 09-04-2018, 11:01 PM