Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES
According to your view, there would be no amendments to the Constitution, Mags. Of course it's a living document. Were it not, blacks wouldn't have a right to vote, women wouldn't have a right to vote, citizens wouldn't have a right to bear arms for self defense, citizens wouldn't have a right to freedom of speech and expression within broad parameters, etc...

Society and humans evolve Mags. Any document offering principles and guidelines written over 200 years ago must be interpreted according to present day life to be relevant and valuable.

If conservative judges stuck only to the literal words within the document or only interpreted it in terms of their deep religious beliefs, it would be a major problem for the country, in my opinion.

There's already been a huge push of young religious/conservative judges into lower courts over the last 2 years.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed, I hope it won't lead to several Justices (essentially chosen by powerful religious lobbies) being able to take the country backwards and erode the separation of church & state because they hold the majority of seats on the Supreme Court. I hope the same if Kavanaugh is not confirmed and is replaced with an equally conservative but less controversial judge.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - by HairOfTheDog - 09-26-2018, 11:14 AM